Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I know we are not a theocracy, you seem to be hung up on that ... is it your new word for the week?

We can be a Christian nation without having Christian religious leadership.

Is common sense dead?

Read some of the writings of some the founders and look at the devoutness of many our leaders thru our history. Read some of Washington's writings.

"We are endowed by our Creator..." Sound familiar?
Obviously! We have never been a Christian nation...period! Having a majority in this case does not mean that majority rules. There have been countelss threads with links and yet people will insist on the myth. Does Christianity attract obtuse people?

Annals of Congress, 5th Congress
Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
US Treaty with Tripoli, 1796-1797

From Thomas Jefferson...

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" (Works, Vol. iv, p. 365).

In the gospel history of Jesus, Jefferson discovers what he terms "a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, of superstitions, fanaticism, and fabrications" (Works, Vol. iv, p. 325).

Six Historic Americans: Thomas Jefferson

Although there was a belief in a creator, there was no belief in the fairy tales as Jefferson's Bible will prove.

This still has nothing to do with this nation not being founded on any one religion. Like it or not!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
Sure, and we don't have Christ mas as a national holiday either!!! Dry up and blow away, won't you.
That's because 76% of U.S. citizens are Christian. If by "Christian nation," you mean that the U.S. is by majority Christian, then I can understand that. What it isn't, though, is a theocracy.

Seems like everyone is ignoring this question. Is this debate all based on a clash of terminology? Christian nation as in theocracy vs. Christian nation as in a nation with a majority of Christians?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM

372 posts, read 221,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's because 76% of U.S. citizens are Christian. But that doesn't make the U.S. a Christian nation any more than that makes a store white that has a majority of white clients.
And a store that has 76% of it's stock in trade and sales thereof being cheese, doesn't make it a cheese shop either, right?????? And I'll bet you it is far higher than 76%.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
That's because 76% of U.S. citizens are Christian. If by "Christian nation," you mean that the U.S. is by majority Christian, then I can understand that. But it wasn't based or founded on Christian principles, if anything it was based on the concept of religious freedom.
Precisley!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
And a store that has 76% of it's stock in trade and sales thereof being cheese, doesn't make it a cheese shop either, right?????? And I'll bet you it is far higher than 76%.
Sorry. I edited my post after you quoted it. Regarding the 76%, you can look up most sources online and you'll find most of them cite a number around 76%.

But back to the original topic, if we can agree on a definition for "Christian nation," why is it so important for Conservatives to emphasize this point?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
That's because 76% of U.S. citizens are Christian. If by "Christian nation," you mean that the U.S. is by majority Christian, then I can understand that. What it isn't, though, is a theocracy.

Seems like everyone is ignoring this question. Is this debate all based on a clash of terminology? Christian nation as in theocracy vs. Christian nation as in a nation with a majority of Christians?
Actually, neither.

It is a Christian nation because that is where it's roots are, it's orientation is, it's personna etc., The U.S. positively drips Christianity.

I have yet to see a coin that says In Thor we Trust on it. If you add each of this facts together, you see that it is unquestionable that he U.S. is a Christian Nation - obviously, not a theocracy or one with an official state religion that is Christianity, but our national psyche overwhelmingly is.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Actually, neither.

It is a Christian nation because that is where it's roots are, it's orientation is, it's personna etc., The U.S. positively drips Christianity.

I have yet to see a coin that says In Thor we Trust on it. If you add each of this facts together, you see that it is unquestionable that he U.S. is a Christian Nation - obviously, not a theocracy or one with an official state religion that is Christianity, but our national psyche overwhelmingly is.
God is far from just a Christian concept. "In God We Trust" isn't exactly proof of a Christian nation. Based on just that, we could be a Jewish nation.

How is our national psyche overwhelmingly Christian? There are constantly debates over hot-button issues like homosexuality and abortion with people on opposing sides.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry. I edited my post after you quoted it.

But back to the original topic, if we can agree on a definition for "Christian nation," why is it so important for Conservatives to emphasize this point?
Because of the efforst by the forces of evil to say, and convince people that we are not, and it is our Christian roots, heritage and persona that helps us, unquestionable, to be the force for good that we are. Some people just absolutely hate good or that the U.S. is a force for it.

It is about preserving this great nation as the worlds leading force for good not just for ourselves but for the world, and if we fell from that status, and became just another "also-ran" nation, the world would fall into the dark ages again as evil would rule - political (tyranny in any or all of its forms) and religious (Islam) evil. The Crusaders knew this, and fought the horde back out of Europe - and we need to know it now.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:00 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Many threads deal with the theme that America was (or was not) founded as a christian nation. The posts then argue pro and con.
Why is it so important?
Before anyone gets off on this please remember that the thread is not if America is a christian nation or not, but why is it important to declare America a christian nation.
Who's trying to do that?

Why is it that it's SO important to REMEMBER and HONOR the PAST and history until it comes down to something that may have some link to Christianity?

Bottom line is you can't have it both ways. Can't honor the past and history when it suits you and claim "liberal"/"intellectual"/"urban dweller"/"don't live in the south" when you get a bug up your butt about the rest of American history that bends your feelers.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
God is far from just a Christian concept. "In God We Trust" isn't exactly proof of a Christian nation. Based on just that, we could be a Jewish nation.

How is our national psyche overwhelmingly Christian? There are constantly debates over hot-button issues like homosexuality and abortion with people on opposing sides.
Those are people trying to undo our christian roots. It is so obvious.

Listen, I am an agnostic, I don't really believe in a god, not because I would hate it if there was one (but I need some things, like "cancer" and other maladies explained to me as to "why", as well as what he was thinking when he invented bubonic plague etc.)

However, I do strongly adhere to Christian tenants and values. Judiasm is almost identical is that area. Further, they strengthen a society and make them a better people and a better nation. Find another religion that is associated with such individual freedom and properity. In Islam, women are slaves, no I take that back, they are sub-slaves, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies