Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:33 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I never said he was targeted, maybe you need to reread.

And you dont have to believe about the way people are brought into the Chicago Gangs, but, you will remain ignorant to the truth.

yes they do what they have to do to be in, which is either be blessed in, which is what the Vice Lords and the Black P Stones do. Which being blessed in is done on a friday at 3pm, while facing the east, the palms are placed up and the body prays over the person to bless them in.

For the other gangs, the initiation is standing there while others beat your body down with punches. The person is not allowed to defend or hit back.

These are the things that they have to do to get in, and they do it.
Someone must really be down to take such a road,
to be a part of something like that. I believe you.

Being alone is hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:36 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
I think the root to decreasing gangs is to figure out why the kids are joining in the first place and then offer another option.

I know one poster said they do it for protection. There needs to be another way. I don't know if that's something that can be handled on a federal level though. It seems like something that would have to be local. The people of the community would have to make it known that the police don't respond to their calls.

These are also the types of the things the NAACP should be worried about instead of greeting cards
The problem is in a lot of these areas the community have made it known over and over again, but, the local government don't care. they would rather use their resources to protect the higher class neighborhoods.

I agree there needs to be another way, for me personally, I work on educating those that are already in gangs, about the reasons the gangs originally formed. I educate them about where the road will lead them if they don't change their ways.

I believe that changing the ways gangs operate is easier then eliminating them fully.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Someone must really be down to take such a road,
to be a part of something like that. I believe you.

Being alone is hard.
Unfortunately when people join many of the chicago gangs it isnt about being alone. It is about "respect", "protection", money and power.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Quote:
I never said he was targeted, maybe you need to reread.

And you dont have to believe about the way people are brought into the Chicago Gangs, but, you will remain ignorant to the truth.

yes they do what they have to do to be in, which is either be blessed in, which is what the Vice Lords and the Black P Stones do. Which being blessed in is done on a friday at 3pm, while facing the east, the palms are placed up and the body prays over the person to bless them in.

For the other gangs, the initiation is standing there while others beat your body down with punches. The person is not allowed to defend or hit back.

These are the things that they have to do to get in, and they do it.

You are correct, you weren't the poster that made the comment. I apologize for that.

But as far as the other about initiations, you have painted a "nice picture" and that is far, far from the truth. And that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out but none the less.

It is sad, that society has this hug-a thug mentality and therefore allows this behavior to be bred. For years and years, there have been fatherless homes, poverty, ghettos, white trash etc.......it is only in the past 6/7 years that this gang bully attitude and lifestyle has taken over and created the havoc it has.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
Quote:
The problem is in a lot of these areas the community have made it known over and over again, but, the local government don't care. they would rather use their resources to protect the higher class neighborhoods.

I agree there needs to be another way, for me personally, I work on educating those that are already in gangs, about the reasons the gangs originally formed. I educate them about where the road will lead them if they don't change their ways.

I believe that changing the ways gangs operate is easier then eliminating them fully.
Then it's time to get some new local government. I've found that people I come across in these situations are usually so tired of being tired they just duck their heads and hope they make it to tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
You are correct, you weren't the poster that made the comment. I apologize for that.

But as far as the other about initiations, you have painted a "nice picture" and that is far, far from the truth. And that doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out but none the less.

It is sad, that society has this hug-a thug mentality and therefore allows this behavior to be bred. For years and years, there have been fatherless homes, poverty, ghettos, white trash etc.......it is only in the past 6/7 years that this gang bully attitude and lifestyle has taken over and created the havoc it has.
Who has a hug-a-thug mentality?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,162 times
Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately when people join many of the chicago gangs it isnt about being alone. It is about "respect", "protection", money and power.
Well you have got your work ahead of you.

Good for you to get involved. That's what those kids need.

Someone to show them the way. I have been coaching 35 years
and the kids know I love them, and when I correct them, they
know why.

Keep up the good work!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
Who has a hug-a-thug mentality?
A large part of today's society has this mentality......
They don't want to hold the thugs responsible for their behavior.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:46 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,081 times
Quote:
A large part of today's society has this mentality......
They don't want to hold the thugs responsible for their behavior.
i haven't seen this.

I've seen people try to find the reasons behind their behavior and i feel that's needed because how can you prevent something if you don't know what caused it

Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:

No the picture I painted about the initiations is exactly the truth. what you see on the media and in the movies is typically based off of the west coast gangs such as the bloods and the crips. The way the chicago gangs operate are far different. Part of the reasons for this, is one, take example the Vice Lords. The Vice Lords literature is based off of Islam. A Vice Lord is not allowed to eat pork, they are supposed to pray the Afatia over their meals. they are to pray to mecca every friday at 3pm. The Black P Stones are the same way.

In many cities gang violence was a lot worse in the 90's then it is now. I think what it is, is that now more of the gangs have spread to other areas and cities, so more people are seeing them and feeling the effects, so they think the problem is more recent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies