Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 10:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by conc1 View Post
Did you read what the A$$$ who started that thread said? No, he does not support the troops, and he is not even ashamed of it.
And so are so many here, I feel like I took the wrong turn. I have never "met" so many people that are just hateful towards their own country, their own soldiers.
You should pack your bags and move out, and take your freedom of speech with you, because I think that the countries that hold the same views on America as you hold, don't have it.
Hateful now equals not respecting people who CHOOSE to go to war?
Why does anyone or any group automatically deserve respect?
Seems rather silly and simplistic to me.
We disagree with you so it's conc1's way or the highway?
That's laughable.

Please tell me what specific reasons the US has for being in the middle east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't support the wars and our troops? I don't understand how some people say they're against the wars but they support our troops. How can that be? As far as I'm concerned, supporting our troops means you want them to win, right? So, if you support our troops and want them to win, you must support the wars too. Am I being illogical?
Here is the irony of these wars. Congress is supposed to declare War. They did not do it in Korea, Viet Nam, or any of the mid-east actions. They have in effect abdicated this constitutional power and the executive branch has moved to take it over. Therefore we have had a series of wars that the population may have backed or not...we will never know... because their duly elected representatives were afraid or unable to cast a vote one way or the other. Executive branch encroaches on constitutional powers...congress abdicates said powers.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hateful now equals not respecting people who CHOOSE to go to war?
Seems rather silly and simplistic to me.
We disagree with you so it's conc1's way or the highway?
That's laughable.

People sign up in a time of war, they know that killing and murder might happen to or by them.
If they don't, they're stupid.
Are you being serious or sarcastic? I can't even believe that any person would really feel this way about the men and woman that would die to protect you.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 PM

454 posts, read 482,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I may disagree with you, but I will give you reps for your honesty.

Remembering Vietnam, many older people today said they protested the war, but supported the troops.

They are dishonest.

You are being honest in your beliefs.
No they didn't support the troops, they spit on them, called them baby killers etc. They are just lying now because it sounds better.
And I don't respect him for his honesty.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Are you being serious or sarcastic? I can't even believe that any person would really feel this way about the men and woman that would die to protect you.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Don't tell me what I need to do. These wars are illegal. What is it with some of the yahoos in this thread?
Did you want people's opinion or did you just want to talk to yourself?

I am married and use to tell people what to do. So... I can tell you what to do, and you can tell me you don't want to do it.
Want to start another illegal war?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
You really don't understand the sacrifices made by members of the US military and why they automatically deserve respect as a whole?

Is this an intentional act of obtuseness?

Quote:
Please tell me why you don't already know this? You don't have to agree with any of the reasons, but you really should acknowledge the specific reasons that have been repeated over and over and over again, even right here, on CD.

Please tell me why Clinton, Kerry, Pelosi, Kennedy, etc. all supported those "specific reasons" you don't know anything about UNTIL election time rolled around.... and they needed a way to disparage the sitting POTUS (even though they backed his decisions) so they could get their "party" back into power. GWB was the ONLY person who had intel that stated the middle east was a prime vacation spot for tourists?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
This isn't a difficult issue. Whatever their reasons for enlisting, I don't want our soldiers to die pointlessly. As such, I reject wars and policies that would put them in danger of such an outcome.

"Support the troops" has become a mindless slogan for those that want to advocate in favor of our military ventures into the Middle East while obscuring their hawkishness behind a veneer of patriotism and loyalty to our soldiers.
Support the troops means sending them care packages, volunteer to pack them. Organize school kids to have a letter writing campaign for them. Etc. It's not an empty slogan for some people.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,769 times
Quote:
And it was our war, exactly why?
A good portion of the world protested against it.

Did you forget about the lies of WMD, yellow cake, etc?
"He tried to kill my daddy."
Short memory.
As a former Marine who served in Desert Storm, I will tell you he had WMD and he used them on his own people. Also I firmly believe he used them during Desert Storm as well. You never answered my question on how it is an illegal war that was stated earlier, you just changed to why this is our war. It is our war because he was a threat and we will have to disagree apparently but I would much rather eliminate an actual threat before they have a chance to hurt innocent Americans. I hope you have a peaceful and happy life and I will not be getting into a long winded debate with you since I can tell your mind is made up as is mine.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Blind patriotism is a bigger threat to our freedom than the Taliban.
Who is blind?
Did you check out the Taliban lately? I think you need to rethink your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies