Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 06:33 PM

140 posts, read 128,750 times

Advertisements

Not excusing the troops, but the majority who enlist grow up in poverty and come from towns where all the jobs are gone and they get a horrible education. An 18 year old kid will never make the best choices, but we've brainwashed our youth into thinking our military is noble and then you throw a bunch of money and no other options at them and it's too easy. Most dont know what they're getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 07:57 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,429,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They put themselves in a position to kill, for money.
Did I say that all commit all crimes? If so, please show me where.
Do many, yes.
My point is that they have nothing to complain about, have their own personal (usually selfish) reasons for joining, and are not forced into the military. They do not deserve my respect simply because they enlisted. They deserve nothing more than their salary because they make a career choice knowing that this is war.
They choose to fight for corporate interests and may kill or be killed or maimed in the "war" - that's completely on them. No one else.

Bush lied.
He is responsible for the two wars we now fight in the middle east.
Period.
Your views are truly warped, clueless and sicking. It as a family member of a murdered service member I am physically ill reading your posts.

Oh and my brother was not dumb or an opportunist. He only wanted to serve the country he loved so much. He did not need the money, he did not need their education, he just wanted to give something back.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:48 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,448,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
NO my brother was NOT paid to kill people he was paid to set up computer systems and was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was traveling with a technical caravan when they were ambushed by those Iraqi you care so much about and out right murdered. My brother never killed anyone, he was not trained in combat, he was a freakin computer geek and was killed for being on the wrong road but oh yeah feel badly for those Iraqis.
I do feel bad for the half million or so Iraqis who died as a result of our war. I also feel bad for your brother, but in the same way that I feel bad for people who die from drag racing or shooting dope or doing other dangerous and pointless things.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,769,075 times
I feel bad for the half million or so Iraqis who died in the same way I feel bad for people who die from running with the bulls, breaking out of prison, or doing other idiotic things.....

Old 08-08-2010, 10:01 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,429,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I do feel bad for the half million or so Iraqis who died as a result of our war. I also feel bad for your brother, but in the same way that I feel bad for people who die from drag racing or shooting dope or doing other dangerous and pointless things.

What you seem to not understand is that there are MANY servicemen that did not join the military for combat reasons but were slaughtered like dogs in the streets by those "innocent" Iraqis. Many are like my brother, computer geeks, medical teams, logistics NOT combat yet there is no room for caring or respect for our innocent men and woman. That is very telling about a person when you can not distinguish the difference between those that truly want to just kill and those that joined to serve their country.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,225,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrome View Post
Not excusing the troops, but the majority who enlist grow up in poverty and come from towns where all the jobs are gone and they get a horrible education. An 18 year old kid will never make the best choices, but we've brainwashed our youth into thinking our military is noble and then you throw a bunch of money and no other options at them and it's too easy. Most dont know what they're getting into.
If life is so hard and they don’t have life skills, why do these people continue to breed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
I feel bad for the half million or so Iraqis who died in the same way I feel bad for people who die from running with the bulls, breaking out of prison, or doing other idiotic things.....
And by happenstance of birth, you’re not Iraqi or Afghani.
There’s no choice in where you are born, is there?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,769,075 times
And by happenstance of birth, you’re not Iraqi or Afghani.
There’s no choice in where you are born, is there?[/quote]

They have a choice(as do all people, remember?) as to where they live, it's their choice to live in Iraq or Afganistan.....

Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
That is very telling about a person when you can not distinguish the difference between those that truly want to just kill and those that joined to serve their country.
People who want to serve their country usually stay in their country.

People who want to help their country occupy another country, no matter in what capacity--well, that's another story.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,828,742 times
Don't support th e wars, and don't support th e politicians that wanted it and prolong it. Stop them all, support our troops by insisting they be taken out of harms way.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you never got the memo, but it is a pretty widely accepted moral axiom--among thoughtful people, anyway--that your enemy's badness is not enough to make you good.

Think about that for a few minutes. I wouldn't be shocked, given the Manichean sort of culture in which we reside, if that thought had never crossed your mind before at all.

On your principles. Stalin would be good because he opposed (evil) Hitler, and Hitler would be good because he opposed (evil) Stalin.

That so many otherwise sane people accepted views like this explains a lot of the bloody 20th Century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies