Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:18 AM

107 posts, read 91,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Top end tax cuts only allow the financial theives to keep most of the loot. Tax cuts for the working and middle class provide the spending that keeps the economy growing.
If you check the facts, you will quickly realize that you are wrong on both counts - seriously wrong.

Top end tax cuts allow the economy to keep more economic mojo in the economy instead of valueless transfer within the government that do nothing but rearrange the deck chairs so to speak.

I am not sure what a working class is, but it seems to be a holdover from the USSR-era of communism. Bill Gates, for example is very wealthy, but works far harder than the average minimum-wager.

Finally, the middle class doesn't really pay very much in taxes compared to the overall "contributions" to the treasury. As I recall, the top 10% of income earner contribute well over 2/3 of all money sent to the Treasury Dept. while the bottom 47% pay nil in taxes - or less.

I would encourage you to become familiar with the facts prior to posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Their costs go up, their price goes up.
You have a point but, it still does not make it right that major corporations do not pay any taxes and BTW their prices go up anyway.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
You have a point but, it still does not make it right that major corporations do not pay any taxes and BTW their prices go up anyway.
They do pay taxes on their profits.

Still there is more to the economy.

Our economy is based on keeping the money moving.

In doing this, it creates jobs.

BTW, putting money in banks also "keeps the money moving".

The banks rent it to others.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:

When major corporations pay no tax, I will never believe they pass the savings on to consumers. It will go into the pockets of the CEO's.
And as we have seen for decades, our tax money ends up going into the pockets of our politicians. Politicians use our tax money to buy favors, influence and perks. Just look at how average our politicians income is, until they go into political office, suddenly they all own five rent controlled apartments, multiple homes in the US, lavish estates in foreign countries, or write books about an unaccomplished life which earn millions of dollars for their bank accounts. Many times the big payoff from all the favors they bought while in office, comes with lavish jobs as lobbyists and working their Washington insider Rolodex.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And as we have seen for decades, our tax money ends up going into the pockets of our politicians. Politicians use our tax money to buy favors, influence and perks. Just look at how average our politicians income is, until they go into political office, suddenly they all own five rent controlled apartments, multiple homes in the US, lavish estates in foreign countries, or write books about an unaccomplished life which earn millions of dollars for their bank accounts. Many times the big payoff from all the favors they bought while in office, comes with lavish jobs as lobbyists and working their Washington insider Rolodex.
Sigh....so true

Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Depends on who gets the tax cuts. Anyone with over a million in assets doesn't need them. They have enough tools to avoid taxes if they get a decent advisor.
You dont understand it is not about what person A thinks person B needs, it is how the economy works if person A feels they have money to spend they are going to spend it "jobs".

Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They do pay taxes on their profits.

Still there is more to the economy.

Our economy is based on keeping the money moving.

In doing this, it creates jobs.

BTW, putting money in banks also "keeps the money moving".

The banks rent it to others.
I am aware there is much more to an economy than what I previously stated but, I still believe the uber rich are able to avoid taxes and I am not seeing any job creation.
I know my family is suffering terribly and it p---- me off that corporations are given a pass on paying federal taxes on their profits.

It is so very frustrating to see the middle class shrinking while the elite can bypass things so easily. I don't care what they earn & I am not jealous of the rich, I just want things to be fair. Continued tax breaks for the ultra wealthy while the rest of us suffer is appalling to me.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Depends on who gets the tax cuts. Anyone with over a million in assets doesn't need them. They have enough tools to avoid taxes if they get a decent advisor.
I starting reading the tax code while on break from my three minimum wage jobs.

You do NOT need to be a millionaire or, have an advisor.

That is all excuses for underachievers.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I am aware there is much more to an economy than what I previously stated but, I still believe the uber rich are able to avoid taxes and I am not seeing any job creation.
I know my family is suffering terribly and it p---- me off that corporations are given a pass on paying federal taxes on their profits.

It is so very frustrating to see the middle class shrinking while the elite can bypass things so easily. I don't care what they earn & I am not jealous of the rich, I just want things to be fair. Continued tax breaks for the ultra wealthy while the rest of us suffer is appalling to me.
Some me where the rich are given a pass on PROFITS.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:

Anyone who is retired needs a million in assets - that will only generate a safe $40,000 or less (much less right now). At that level if they had kids they would practically be eligible for a free lunches at school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies