Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 07:49 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not directing it at you per say, just using what you said as a "jumping point"... I'm sure you know the definition, but I'm just trying to make a point - which hopefully you got.
Glad to clear it up.

BTW - As others have mentioned, immigration issues should be discussed under the immigration forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter View Post
Yes, we should help the illegals in their own Country. And to whomever said that crime is more prevalent in Black neighborhoods-it's because they are downtrodden and can't seem to get up. There are too many females households(no fathers available), mothers out working and kids running the streets. Teen pregnancy and the whole cycle starts again. There is a very large middle class Black population in this Country. So they made it. This is not criticism just what I read. Also worked in an inner city hospital at one point in time so I saw it first hand. Anyway have a Happy 4th.
Thanks. I agree, we've had more than enough of own problems in this country, and Blacks have it rougher in general, plus the drugs from So. America for eons, and NOW we to deal with illegals from So. America further ruining our fianances, lives and country all thanks to government. Happy 4th.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:44 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Default What Is Your Opinion?

Guys, guys....let's not get "snippy" with each other. We are all reasonable people and I value your diverse opinions. No, Bily4, there's no "White Domestic Tranquility Gene"- nothing of the sort, you are quite correct. What there is, however, is a US Middle Class, judeo-christian based culture. That culture is a set of values, standards, parameters, and behavioral norms that can be learned and put into practice by anyone who desires to do so. (Just like any other culture). That particular culture has many restrictions upon its members, (we've been called "stuffy" at times)--one of which is that violence and criminal behavior is not seen as a remedy for poverty. Members of that culture (the middle class) who DO engage in such criminal or aggressive behavior, are strongly castigated by their fellows. They get little sympathy or encouragement; instead they are stigmatized. Notice, please, that none of this involves "White Folks", "Black Folks", or any other "folks". This culture is a behavior-based concept. Anyone capable of controlling his behavior, regardless of his ethnicity, is welcome to be a member. Huge numbers have chosen to do so, much to the enrichment of our society,
Here's what happened to me last night- Tell me what you think.... We live in a semi-rural area of Southern Cal. next door to my son. Had a big 4th of July get-together. Started a campfire (in a pit).
There were about 30 people present. Some whites, two blacks, and quite a number of Hispanics. I knew about half these people personally, (my son gave the party), and know for a fact that some of these people had parents who'd crossed the border illegally (the "illegal hordes" refered to elsewhere). One girl was an immigrant from Colombia. My granddaughters' friends were two white/ Hispanic twin sisters. (No,there wasn't a white twin and a Hispanic twin- EACH twin was half white/half Hispanic Ethnicity and race, by the way, were never discussed. Sooner or later, as was inevitable, the Fire Dept. showed up. Three large white guys and one large Hispanic, all wearing badges and carrying walkie-talkies. They proceeded to "bawl us out" for starting a fire in a brushy area where we've had 3" of rain in the past year. Shame on us; they were right; it was a stupid thing that we did. Me (white) and my spouse (Indian/Hispanic) were the legal property owners and could have gotten in real trouble. They waited as we put the fire out, then departed- they even "blew the siren" as they left, to the delight of the many kiddies present (White, hispanic, and mixed-race toddlers).
At the conclusion of all this excitement, please note the following:

*No one was handcuffed, tasered, hog-tied, or thrown to the ground-...
*No one was called "Boy", "Dirtbag", "M.F. Honky", or "gringo *******"...
*The Police weren't called in for "backup"...
*The officers were never called "pigs"- or "Barney Fife"; no one whispered "oink-oink"
*Those present who DID interact with the "law", made remarks largely centering around the phrases "No sir, yes sir", and "sorry about that"

After the excitement was over, NOT ONE PERSON felt they'd been persecuted or singled out or mistreated due to their color. All agreed we'd done something "not too bright" and it could have gone a lot worse for us.
The fact that you are now learning about my story here, and not on the 6 o'clock news, I feel, is that everyone in this entire diverse group shared a COMMON MIDDLE CLASS set of VALUES. They all knew, by instinct, HOW TO BEHAVE in a prickly situation. They all understood and tacitly accepted the fact that all of us were GUILTY of a lapse in good judgement, and DESERVED the bawling-out that we got. It wasn't our race(s)- it wasn't our color(s)- it was our BEHAVIOR that brought about the intervention of the authorities.
No one, as far as I know, plans on a news-conference or a lawsuit over this incident. I'm not trying to be funny here, honestly. But similar situations have gotten way out of hand before.
It's my contention that we got through this due to our commonly-accepted set of behaviors. Does anyone agree?...if not, I'd be interested to hear from you...
PS Most adult males just HAPPENED to be US Military vets- is this relevant?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:57 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
macmeal it sounds like you are reinforcing the point that a lower socioeconomic background, not race, is the root cause for a lot of the violence in our society. This background leads more often than not to broken families, lack of education, lack of finanical security, sense of personal desperation, perhaps drug dependencies, that could lead to greater aggression in the scenario you describe above.

Could I also suggest that had your group appeared to be societal "riff raff" and not middle class... the officers may have reacted more aggressively, more strongly...perhaps also contributing to creating a situation that could lead to violence? Maybe, maybe not.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's my contention that we got through this due to our commonly-accepted set of behaviors. Does anyone agree?...if not, I'd be interested to hear from you...
PS Most adult males just HAPPENED to be US Military vets- is this relevant?
I think it's just a hopeful sign that the system can work if given a chance.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:17 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Bily4, no question about it- the "riff-raff" does indeed get treated worse. This was even brought up here last night. Also the fact that there seemed a large ratio of "responsible" adults (parents) to kiddies. A large group of unsupervised teenagers, it was felt, probably would have reacted differently- and been treated differently. Good points...

Old 11-02-2014, 07:08 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Um, no... only "idiots & morons" would think it has to do with SKIN color, rather than socioeconomic conditions. That's not making apologies, it's stating a simple & obvious fact - to most of us, at least.
God creates everyone equal, I honestly believe that regardless of race.

But are humans so simple minded that we just cannot, and will never get over a difference in appearance?

The issue might come down to only that.

So if the races continue to mix and eventually we all end up looking pretty much the same, maybe then we can move on and learn something along the way. Maybe that's been the intention of the creator all along.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:25 AM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times
I don't have a problem with skin color/race. It is about retaining our identifying culture and language to me.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:28 AM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD. View Post
Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Certainly makes me wonder at the numder of racists who post on this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies