Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of what you said in a previous post about being better off with no government at all, sure would be a lot of people all of a sudden looking for work under that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 02:32 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What if you are too poor to own a computer.
Then you need to get a better job, I know people making minimum wage, they rent an apartment, and own a nice computer and high-speed internet.

What has this got to do with anything, is this fictional person of yours a poor, unfortunate loser, and victim, because Gates owns a company that makes computer software?

Quote:
What if you dont sell as many cars as you thought and the company goes bankrupt,maybe you become suddenly poor,needing others to bail you out.
What if a meteor slammed into your car company and destroyed it?

What are you going on about? Why does anyone need to bail you out, regardless of how your company went out of business.

Quote:
Or to make more money you take your hypothetical company to China making your American workers redundant.
It's usually government interference and over regulating and over taxing private business, that drives them out of America. In the case of US auto makers, it was out of control government regulations and union demands for benefits, compensation and pensions that made it too expensive to make cars in the US.

Quote:
When you say every one is a winner in your example its equally possible for every one to lose.
You seem to portray this simplistic notion that if people work hard enough theres no reason to not have millions of dollars in the bank,people get dealt different cards in life some make millions others no matter how hard they work are relegated to financial mediocrity.
You're breaking my heart.

My example was a small company, consisting of four guys customizing cars, who was this hypothetical loser you envision?

My scenario is not so far fetched, their are plenty of small independent auto repair, detailing, and customizing shops all over the country. The provide a service, people pay for it, and everyone is happy.

...oh wait a tic.... as long as there exists one person who cannot afford a car, then in your mind, these auto repair shops are evil, uncaring, greedy capitalists.

Quote:
The government has little to do with a persons success or failure.
The government can interfere in private commerce, create burdensome regulations and inflict high taxes to make it impossible for a company to remain in business.

Look at the past 18 months for an example. Ford, played by the rules, while GM drove itself into bankruptcy. GM was rewarded by the government, and now Ford has to try and compete with two car companies that are financed by, and owned by the federal government.

Some banks and financial institutions played by the rules, they did not make unwise investments or gamble away their money, but their greedy, unwise competitors did, and they where rewarded for making those stupid, greedy and foolish decisions and bailed out by the federal government.

So we have to examples here, banking and manufacturing, where the private market was turned on its head, with government interfering by choosing the winners and losers. Instead of letting the market reward the better company, the government stepped in and rewarded poor decisions and greed.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Lets hope you never run in to hard times then.
As for Ford playing by the rules they just got their bailout a little earlier..
Ford borrows $18B for restructuring - The Denver Post

Old 08-09-2010, 02:11 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carribean joe View Post
Paid considerably higher than their private enterprise counterparts, for doing considerable less work with a zero game end. I worked for the feds for 10 years. Should have stayed i guess. Would be enjoying 30 days off, every other friday off, something they call condensed work week for coming in a half hour early, good retirement. Yea man, everone should be a federal employee.Your giving up to 40% of your salary for a great cause. Teh greatest welfare plan of all.
Why the sarcasm? I thought you said the only 'social program' that works is jobs?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The difference is, people want the entitlement programs.

As I said before, over 70% of Americans want social security, and medicare.

This is a majority rule country. You have to deal with what you can cut, not what you'd like to.

We spend twice what the entire rest of the world does on defense. It amounts to over 25% of our total budget year after year.

"entitlements" adds up to so much, because it contains so many categories that are under that.

Defense is just defense.
LOL, we ARE NOT a majority rule country. I know you libs want it to be that way, but we aren't. We are what is called a Republic, a Democracy is majority rules.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
LOL, we ARE NOT a majority rule country. I know you libs want it to be that way, but we aren't. We are what is called a Republic, a Democracy is majority rules.
I know that, but congressmen and women want to be re-elected, don't they?

You threaten to take away a social program, you lose, its that simple. And when 70% of the population agrees with something, majority rule is part of that. You can't go against 70% of the population and win the next election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies