Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Hartford Distributors: President Sued Bloomfield To Improve Schools For Black Students - CTnow

"The family of the gunman in Tuesday's rampage, Omar Thornton, has claimed Thornton suffered racial prejudice while working as a driver and warehouse worker at Hartford Distributors Inc. at 131 Chapel Road, Manchester. Thornton killed himself as police closed in.

Union officials have said Thornton brought no racism allegations to them and filed no complaints with any state or federal agencies. Police said they found no evidence to support claims by Thornton's friends and family that racial slurs or graffiti scrawled in the bathrooms at the family-owned business."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So anytime someone feels that they might possibly be discriminated against, it's OK for them to dispense "street justice" as they see fit. Even if they're guilty of something like theft that justifies them losing their job. Fascinating. But I can't imagine why I have this crazy suspicion that you aren't advocating such practice for everybody.
NO, it doesn't justify committing murder. Few things justify murder. HOWEVER, I think to discount the shooter's belief that he was being harassed is a disservice. Just like the school shootings, this serves as a wake-up call. Sometimes victims of bullies don't just go home and cry about it. They plot their revenge. Not saying this was AT ALL justified, but maybe if bullies knew that the person they were effing with were going to eventually KILL them, they would leave them the hell alone!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So anytime someone feels that they might possibly be discriminated against, it's OK for them to dispense "street justice" as they see fit. Even if they're guilty of something like theft that justifies them losing their job. Fascinating. But I can't imagine why I have this crazy suspicion that you aren't advocating such practice for everybody.
Ok....put words into my mouth when you don't have something REAL to respond to. hell....people get killed for looking at people the wrong way. I have said far too many times that his actions are not justified. My argument was simply to say that his claims of racial harrasement sounds very plausible......BUT DOES NOT JUSTIFY KILLING THE PEOPLE!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Had to go back in this thread because I thought I overlooked the post where folks were saying this guys' actions were justified. If anything, everyone has said they're deplorable and horrible. BUT, when something like this happens, it's always important to explore the reasons, motives, etc. Why does my believing he was harassed led you to believe that I think his actions were justified?
Go back and read..."street justice" because he was a little man being racially harassed.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
so as of this moment, the only people who have claimed racism was the shooter, his girlfriend, and family. there's no other proof of this anywhere

I won't say that it's unlikely he suffered racism at his job. it still happens to a lot of people. but IMHO, I find it FAR MORE LIKELY that the shooter had mental issues to begin w/, issues that could have perhaps caused him to become paranoid and heightened any slight he felt. perhaps a co-worker made a questionable statement and this triggered thoughts of outright racism. we don't know anything for sure, but needless to say, I question the words of a murderer. I have no doubt in my mid that, as more info comes out, we'll discover more about this man's mental state prior to the shooting. completely sane people don't blow a fuse and murder 8 people b/c of a of a few bathroom slurs. in the end, he's still a punk and a coward for not taking the appropriate steps to fix his problems and this case won't do anything to help racial relations in the workplace (other than get people to do the smart thing and actual report these incidents instead of cowering and doing nothing)

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hartford Distributors: President Sued Bloomfield To Improve Schools For Black Students - CTnow

"The family of the gunman in Tuesday's rampage, Omar Thornton, has claimed Thornton suffered racial prejudice while working as a driver and warehouse worker at Hartford Distributors Inc. at 131 Chapel Road, Manchester. Thornton killed himself as police closed in.

Union officials have said Thornton brought no racism allegations to them and filed no complaints with any state or federal agencies. Police said they found no evidence to support claims by Thornton's friends and family that racial slurs or graffiti scrawled in the bathrooms at the family-owned business."
I thought there were only racist in the south.....I know it's true because I've read it many times from liberals here on CD.... Explain yourself liberals...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
so as of this moment, the only people who have claimed racism was the shooter, his girlfriend, and family. there's no other proof of this anywhere

I won't say that it's unlikely he suffered racism at his job. it still happens to a lot of people. but IMHO, I find it FAR MORE LIKELY that the shooter had mental issues to begin w/, issues that could have perhaps caused him to become paranoid and heightened any slight he felt. perhaps a co-worker made a questionable statement and this triggered thoughts of outright racism. we don't know anything for sure, but needless to say, I question the words of a murderer. I have no doubt in my mid that, as more info comes out, we'll discover more about this man's mental state prior to the shooting. completely sane people don't blow a fuse and murder 8 people b/c of a of a few bathroom slurs. in the end, he's still a punk and a coward for not taking the appropriate steps to fix his problems and this case won't do anything to help racial relations in the workplace (other than get people to do the smart thing and actual report these incidents instead of cowering and doing nothing)
And that could have made people avoid him for that very reason.

I worked with someone years ago for a short period of time..Black single mother who constantly played the race card to get out of work or make excuses for one thing or another. Got to the point people avoided her and didn't want to work with her anymore.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
NO, it doesn't justify committing murder. Few things justify murder. HOWEVER, I think to discount the shooter's belief that he was being harassed is a disservice. Just like the school shootings, this serves as a wake-up call. Sometimes victims of bullies don't just go home and cry about it. They plot their revenge. Not saying this was AT ALL justified, but maybe if bullies knew that the person they were effing with were going to eventually KILL them, they would leave them the hell alone!
it's one thing if the bullied person tried to get it to stop by telling adults, yet nothing came of it so that they felt they had no other choice. there have been instances of school shooters who have reported bulling yet little was done

this apparently was not the case here. this man, according to multiple news sources, didn't report any racism to anyone other than family and friends (who, in turn, did nothing about it). I can somewhat understand a case where a bullied person who tried to stop the harassment took the ultimate step in committing murder (could never condone it of course), but when the bullied party does nothing to stop it, it becomes highly questionable.

the way to stop bullying both in school and the workplace, is NOT by telling bullies that if they continue, their victims may snap and blow their brains out. you stop it be empowering the victim w/ resources to report and stop the bullying, educating both sides of the problem, and eliminating the issue before it gets to the point of murder or even suicide

Old 08-05-2010, 01:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ok....put words into my mouth when you don't have something REAL to respond to. hell....people get killed for looking at people the wrong way. I have said far too many times that his actions are not justified. My argument was simply to say that his claims of racial harrasement sounds very plausible......BUT DOES NOT JUSTIFY KILLING THE PEOPLE!!!!!!
If the charges of racism are as you suggest "plausible" please explain why this union member did not bother to file a complaint with his union representative. The girlfriend apparently claims he showed photographs as proof of race based harassment. Wouldn't you say photographs are powerful evidence in a written formal complaint presented by union lawyers to an employer?

Not only does this work-place mass murder appear premeditated but it appears the murderer went to elaborate measures to make himself look like a victim in the eyes of his family prior to executing his murder spree.

Face it, if his union had received a complaint and pursued it with the ability to successfully prove that the employer ignored racial harassment, the driver would have been able to retire on the financial settlement.

I still say "plausibility denied".

Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Was the President killed in this guy's rampage? If not, then he was not one of Thornton's "racist targets". How does that link refute the belief that Thornton experienced racism from other workers within the company? Because the President is not racist, none of his workers are?

Thornton's family says he left calls with the union rep that weren't returned. So there would be no paper trail if the guy never called him back. Also, I doubt very much that racially motivated graffiti would be left for days, months and/or years in a bathroom, so because it's not there now doesn't mean it never existed. What would be the girlfriend's motive for saying he sent her pictures, via his cellphone, of the images?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies