Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Apparently for-profit insurance companies work more efficiently than their not-for-profit counterparts.
Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually you are deluded if you think a non profit company does not make a profit. they use accounting tricks to show no profit, but trust me, they need to make a profit just like any other business. if they dont, they end up with no cushion to handle hard times, and when that happens, they cut back on costs, just like any other business, or they go out of business.
You really need to research non-profit organizations. Here's a start.

nonprofit corporation legal definition of nonprofit corporation. nonprofit corporation synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

A nonprofit corporation (also called "not for profit corporation") is formed by incorporators, has a board of directors and officers, but no shareholders. These incorporators, directors and officers may not receive a distribution of (any money from) profits, but officers and management may be paid reasonable salaries for services to the corporation.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Please explain.
Otherwise people would switch over to not-for-profit insurers.
What makes people stay with greedy evil for profit insurance companies?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
You really need to research non-profit organizations. Here's a start.

nonprofit corporation legal definition of nonprofit corporation. nonprofit corporation synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

A nonprofit corporation (also called "not for profit corporation") is formed by incorporators, has a board of directors and officers, but no shareholders. These incorporators, directors and officers may not receive a distribution of (any money from) profits, but officers and management may be paid reasonable salaries for services to the corporation.
i know how non profits work. i also know the accounting tricks used to by all corporations to reduce or eliminate profits when they need to. most non profits reinvest their profits into the business in a variety of ways. others donate the excess to charity.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Otherwise people would switch over to not-for-profit insurers.
What makes people stay with greedy evil for profit insurance companies?
Surely you know the answer to that one. It's who their company selects. Most people have very little choice of who their insurer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i know how non profits work. i also know the accounting tricks used to by all corporations to reduce or eliminate profits when they need to. most non profits reinvest their profits into the business in a variety of ways. others donate the excess to charity.
I'm not convinced you really know the difference between a non-profit and a for profit corporation.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
Quote:
Surely you know the answer to that one. It's who their company selects. Most people have very little choice of who their insurer is.
And why does the government limit our choice?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
If non-profit insurers were cheaper, why wouldn't all companies pick them?

Also, I buy my own insurance, why aren't the non-profits cheaper for me?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced you really know the difference between a non-profit and a for profit corporation.

trust me i know. i have worked for for-profit and non profit companies. i also have training in accounting, as well as some experience so i know many of the tricks of the trade.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
And why does the government limit our choice?
The government? If you get your insurance through your employer, they are the ones who make the choices. BTW, a couple of the biggest insurers, Kaiser and some Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans, are non-profit.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:23 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
And why should grocery stores be a profitable business? Or clothing stores? Why should companies profit by providing us food, or clothing, or shelter: why are homebuilders allowed to make a profit? It's the 21st century--don't we all need cell phones? Why should there be any profit in that? And with all our worrying about how "others" are out to get us, we need entertainment provided by non-profits to ease our anxiety and improve our health.

Oh, wait a minute...profit was the motive force behind the greatest, most prosperous society on the face of the earth in all of history. Never mind.

Please, do your history research before making such outlandish statements such as the one in which you unabashedly claim this wreck of an economy to be the "most prosperous" ever. Some very old ag economies were far more substantial and for a far longer period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies