Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about the U.S. Constituition?
I would fight for and possibly die to support my rights and the Constitution of the U.S. like past patriots have. 65 85.53%
I care about the U.S. Constitution but if someone violated it i wouldn't care or do anything. 6 7.89%
What is the U.S. Constitution? 0 0%
I am against the U.S. Constitution, let it burn. 5 6.58%
Nobody else in this country cares about it so why should I? Out of sight out of mind. 1 1.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Constitution is, as it was intended, a work in progress.
Very progressive thinking there. Progressives have been wanting to "change" the Constitution so they want it to be a living document so they can change it to suit them at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Wth how come 6 responses but no one voted in my poll?
Because the options you listed in the poll do not reflect my opinions, so I can't honestly choose one of those.

I defend the Constitution regularly in several of the forums on CD. I like the Constitution and think I have a fairly good understanding of it.

With all the talk about politicians and accusations about violations of the Constitution, it is important to keep one fundamental principle in mind: The Constitution means whatever the most recent Supreme Court decision says it means. Period. The only way to override a Supreme Court decision is to pass an Amendment to the Constitution.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Very progressive thinking there. Progressives have been wanting to "change" the Constitution so they want it to be a living document so they can change it to suit them at all times.
Our founders were progressives, with thinking that went well ahead of their times. As a result, they designed a living document. Ever heard of "amendments to the constitution"?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Didn't you want to change it the other day by removing the 14th amendment?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,344,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Didn't you want to change it the other day by removing the 14th amendment?
But that's different.
They only want to change, modify or intrepid to what they want it to mean.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
The Constitution is a nice, impressive ornament. But various special interest groups interpret the Constitution to suit their needs.
So we have warrantless wiretaps, illegal search and seizure, setting up 'free speech zones' at political conventions, intimidating the free press, censorship, citizens being indicted for filming police officers, torture of prisoners...

The Constitution looks nice and sounds good to read, but a piece of paper can't prevent corruption.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM

159 posts, read 144,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Our founders were progressives, with thinking that went well ahead of their times. As a result, they designed a living document. Ever heard of "amendments to the constitution"?
The constitution is very difficult to amend, and for good reason. It's not like it's a word document making the rounds through the office.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I think most Americans would fight and give their life to defend the Constitution. The problem is every American interprets the Constitution differently. That is why we have a Judicial branch in our government.. to help us interpret the Constitution.
I wish this were true. The sad thing is that the Constitution is trampled by the Fed all the time, and nothing seems to happen. The Fed has no constitutional power to promote social programs, target specific citizens with extra taxes or buy private companies. A large number of bills that are pushed through are unconstitutional. They may not seem like large infringements to most of us, but they ultimately are because they provide precedence.

Here's a pretty good rant about it:
YouTube - Judge Napolitano & the Constitution

Btw - I would absolutely die to preserve and/or restore the government's obedience to the Constitution.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The Constitution is, as it was intended, a work in progress.
Quote:
The Constitution has been amended 27 times since 1789. The most were made within two years of its adoption.
In that period, the first 10 amendments were added. The
14th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified in 1868.

It's funny, that those that so much want to support and
defend the constitution, forget IT CAN BE AMENDED.
Our forefathers had the foresight, that they could not predict the future or the ramifications of it.

I'm wondering why anyone would be against amending the
Constitution. Not to do so, would be really a strike against the Constitution, and our freedom to do so.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Does anybody still care about the U.S. Constitution?

I took an oath to protect and defend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies