Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times

Advertisements

After reviewing other court cases. I have come to believe that the 14th amendment's equal protection clause must apply to gay-marriage. Otherwise it would allow discrimination by sexual orientation. And while the state does prevent marriage based on things like kinship, certain diseases, and age. Any restriction on individuals purely on sexual orientation must be deemed as an undue burden.

Judge's ruling ready in Calif. gay marriage case

On Wednesday(8-4-2010) a federal judge will submit a ruling on the California gay-marriage ban. And this will be appealed by both sides all the way up to the supreme court.

If the supreme court doesn't uphold gay-marriage as a constitutional right under the 14th amendment's equal protection clause, then we might as well shred the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:56 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I believe gay marriage should be a non issue.

It should be legal. Make it legal now. Let true freedom ring.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:58 AM

43 posts, read 27,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Let true freedom ring.
Isn't that the theme song to Sean Hannity's show?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:08 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I believe gay marriage should be a non issue.

It should be legal. Make it legal now. Let true freedom ring.
Are you a greedy divorce attorney seeking new clients?

Just remember, any number of Gay people are dead-set against Gay marriage, just like Hispanic-Americans who have given generous donations to Jan Brewer of AZ.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Are you a greedy divorce attorney seeking new clients?

Just remember, any number of Gay people are dead-set against Gay marriage, just like Hispanic-Americans who have given generous donations to Jan Brewer of AZ.
Proof?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 AM

43 posts, read 27,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Proof?
This is city data, the burden of proof is on you.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:53 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Whether it's "marriage" or "other" (and I don't really care) it does need to be legally recognized by all states and quickly. The sooner we put this issue to bed the sooner we can get on with things. This subject has taken up so much time and money it makes me ill to think about it.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
I am not sure how long it will take before the California case will be heard before the supreme court. But once the ruling is given, I can guarantee you. All states will be required to recognize and carry out gay-marriage.

And that isn't to say that I personally support gay-marriage(because I don't). But, if discrimination laws are to be consistent, if a state provides marriage to anyone who can no longer bear children, or allows same-sex adoptions, then they must also allow same-sex marriage.

And why will all of this happen? Simple, the 14th amendment. Gotta love it.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Legalizing gay marriage is a total waste of time. It is the perfect example of government run amok and intruding on the personal lives of her subjects.

The State should not be in the marriage business. Why the **** do we need the State to approve of marriage at all? Any marriage?

If marriage were a private matter, which it is, then this is a non-issue. Some churches would marry gays and some wouldn't. No controversy at all and the money and resources spent on lawsuits and ballot initiatives would be gone. No problem.

The only reason gay marriage is even an issue these days is because the government is involved. Get them out of the marriage business and it is no longer a problem.

I can't think of one good reason why the State should be involved in any type of marriage. Or divorce. I'm sick and tired of them regulating every aspect of our lives or people creating these "injustices" and wanting the Supreme Court to solve their "problems".

Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Legalizing gay marriage is a total waste of time. It is the perfect example of government run amok and intruding in on th epersonal lives of her subjects.

The State should not be in the marriage business. Why the **** do we need the State to approve of marriage at all? Any marriage?

If marriage were a private matter, which it is, then this is a non-issue. Some churches would marry gays and some wouldn't. No controversy or all this money spent on lawsuits and ballot initiatives. No problem.

The only reason gay marriage is even an issue these days is because the government is involved. Get them out of the marriage business and it is no longer a problem.

I can't think of one good reason why the State should be involved in any type of marriage. Or divorce. I'm sick and tired of them regulating every aspect of our lives or people creating these "injustices" and wanting the Supreme Court to solve their problems.
This makes no sense, and trying to phrase your argument as hand-wringing about invasive state policies is asinine. By your logic, gay marriage and heterosexual marriage should be treated exactly the same. Either marriage is a private matter and no couples should receive benefits or both gays and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry and be recognized by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies