Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,081 times

Advertisements

MSN Careers - 20 Jobs That Pay Big Without a Degree - Career Advice Article

This is not BIG pay; this is pay that the average man should make. I guess these folks are rich !! Let’s tax their asses because they earn too much money and it needs to be spread evenly among those who are less fortunate!

These salaries are decent not big.

(Once again, the acceptance of [SIZE=3]mediocracy. Welcome to America and be as average as you can be![/SIZE])
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post

This is not BIG pay; this is pay that the average man should make. I guess these folks are rich !! Let’s tax their asses because they earn too much money and it needs to be spread evenly among those who are less fortunate!

(Once again, the acceptance of [SIZE=3]mediocracy. Welcome to America and be as average as you can be![/SIZE])
Hell I make more than some of those people, and I'm far from rich.

I don't know what they are smoking. If I knew that gas station managers made over 85K a year, I'd have changed professions.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
The key "without a degree" and in this economy those are some pretty good jobs.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:

"without a degree".

Old 08-05-2010, 05:38 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,065 times
It's not like anyone can walk up and get one of those jobs to start with.

$50-$85 is dirty rich to me. I've never earned half of that amount since I started working.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
It's not like anyone can walk up and get one of those jobs to start with.
No, they can't.

A lead carpenter position will demand that you have at least 20 years experience in the field, and most likely will mandate that one has experience in supervision.

Other positions listed don't require a B. Sc., but require some education. And a 22 year old boiler operator ain't gonna command $67k per year.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
No, they can't.

A lead carpenter position will demand that you have at least 20 years experience in the field, and most likely will mandate that one has experience in supervision.

Other positions listed don't require a B. Sc., but require some education. And a 22 year old boiler operator ain't gonna command $67k per year.
Right on the head, thus this article is totally misleading.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Agreed, what a silly article. Nobody is sitting there in at the community college guidance counselor's office trying to decide what to do with their life when they stumble upon "Oh, I'll go be a flight service manager!"

Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,797,604 times
Quote:

So what do you suggest we do about getting wages up? Raise the minimum wage? If these are some of the highest wages you can get without a degree (but with many, many years on the job), should we educate more people? Who should pay for that? How?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"without a degree".
I do understand that "without a degree" these are nice jobs w/ nice salaries. My peeve is in the way it's being presented; these are not (IMO) big salaries, that’s all.
In no way, shape or form do I underestimate the job nor their respective salaries. When I opened the page to read the article I was expecting much bigger salaries for the hype being presented.

(Then again, everything is relative, isn’t it?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies