Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you treat/view light-skinned and dark-skinned blacks differently?
Yes, I do. They are very different, in my opinion. 11 11.83%
Yes, to a certain extent. 7 7.53%
Not intentionally, but sometimes. 12 12.90%
Never. 63 67.74%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
thread title says it all. for obvious reasons, i'm not sure most people will expand on their answer, i'm just really interested in the poll results

Everyday Sociology Blog: Colorism: The Hierarchical Nature of Skin Tone that makes Light Alright
C'mon are you serious? Do you really think that someone with deactivated melanocytes judges people according to their various shades and treats them according to a hierarchy according to their skin tone? Some black people have major hang-ups about their skin color and how they are viewed in the world.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:54 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
C'mon are you serious? Do you really think that someone with deactivated melanocytes judges people according to their various shades and treats them according to a hierarchy according to their skin tone? Some black people have major hang-ups about their skin color and how they are viewed in the world.
you obviously don't know what you're talking about if you honestly believe that there aren't whites who view some blacks differently according skin shade. WAKE UP...

Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I'm white and colorblind to skintone. No, I'm not being PC, I just grew up in a predominantly black lower-middle class neighborhood. I never saw a difference in black, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, etc.
hmmmm, you must be from somewhere in texas?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:
Sorry that you're so naive, but it's true. I've experienced it a number of times, and people have openly admitted to it in front of me when I called them on it.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,190,417 times
I am a "content of character" guy, MLK was a smart man.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
hmmmm, you must be from somewhere in texas?
Virginia. South-East Virginia.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:07 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
You all realize of course that there are 10s of millions of people in the US who have never, or rarely, come into contact with any minority?

There are also 1000s of blacks in the DC area who have never come into contact with any Whites until maybe middle school.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I can't see skin color because I can't see, period.

But I do think light-skinned blacks often get treated differently from dark-skinned blacks. From what I've observed, how they get treated hangs a lot more on their personality. For example if they act "white" in the eyes of others, they're seen as white. And if they act "black" in the eyes of others, they're seen as black. There are even stories of other whites not even realizing someone is light-skinned black because they just assumed they were white based on how they act. They also have more control over how others see them because their skin color can "go both ways" more easily than someone dark-skinned.

I was in a race seminar once where my teacher was a quarter black and three-quarters white and another student was half black and half white. My teacher wore African prints, had dreadlocks, wore scarves wrapped around her head, consciously spoke in ways associated with black people, and was the forefront organizer of Black Pride in our school. The student wore mostly jeans with sweatshirts, and consciously spoke in ways associated with white people. You can probably guess who was seen as more black than the other, regardless of their actual racial makeup. Most people thought our teacher had more black in her than the student, but in the end it didn't matter, because it was the race they identified most with culturally that people saw first.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-04-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
And these hang ups don't come from nowhere. A lot of black people have hang ups about their skin color and how they're treated because of the way they've been treated, both by whites and other blacks.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You all realize of course that there are 10s of millions of people in the US who have never, or rarely, come into contact with any minority?

There are also 1000s of blacks in the DC area who have never come into contact with any Whites until maybe middle school.
My grandmother-in-law (who both looks black to others and identifies as black) told me that the first thing her most recent boss said when moving here was that she had never seen blacks before. Her boss is from somewhere in the Maine/Vermont area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies