Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you treat/view light-skinned and dark-skinned blacks differently?
Yes, I do. They are very different, in my opinion. 11 11.83%
Yes, to a certain extent. 7 7.53%
Not intentionally, but sometimes. 12 12.90%
Never. 63 67.74%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
not the least bit surprised that you would accuse me of being another irritated black who would rather whine and point the finger at the white man instead of standing on his own two feet and earning his place in this world. you have no clue where i am now and what i have had to endure to get here

i never once suggested that a majority of whites were treating blacks wrong. what i said is that racism against blacks DOES INDEED exist. i can guarantee you that somewhere in this country, a minority is being denied an opportunity because of the color of their skin...this kind of stuff still happens, and you are blind if you think otherwise

so if you thought that electing a black president was going to just make us forget that there is still a lot of work to be done, think again.
You are correct. As you are but text on a screen, I do have no idea of who you are. Vice-versa as well.

"Somewhere in this country." Well, ok. That is a pretty generous standard- a very all-encompasing data sample to work with. Have you also tried summarily asking 1000 models out to dinner? I reckon you would get a bite or two.

I agree there is work to be done. But I bet we would disagree on what that work would be.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Al Green:

This is a nation of 285 million people, at least. Perhaps more. If I look around, I can certainly find a great many things including whites treating blacks aversely or <shock!> blacks treating white or more likely Asian immigrants aversely.

Now, were these whites enough to sway the election of a black man? Obviously not. Obama is in the White House. Truly. There he is. I see him on the news every day. And despite being a rather lackluster President, I suspect he will win another term.

If that is the case, and it is, then how significant is this racism you cite? And what have you seen with your own eyes? What I mostly see is blacks suing because they cannot pass simple tests for municipal jobs, demanding they be admitted to good colleges with lousy grades and SATs, screaming when police simply do their job, throwing bogus accusations at greeting card companies, demanding ever-more set asides from the very government they deem hostile, and generally rah-rahing an ever more absurd race hustling industry.

Selma 1965 it ain't.

So no, I am far from naive. And no, I do not think you brought this out of nowhere. Quite the contrary. The Race Card is a favorite weapon amongst many. The problem is most of us see right through it. We have heard it for so long now that it fails to even elicit a polite chuckle.
lmao @ you actually believing that just because someone votes for obama, they are absolved of any real racism they may direct towards a black person. i assure you that it's that type of silly thinking that gives blacks more than a few good "chuckles"

i could continue typing until my fingers fall off, but i would get nowhere. it's not because you don't see my point, but because you choose not to see it. and as i attempted to point out before, i am a "successful" black man, in spite of any and all racism i encountered, so your race card theory holds no weight here

Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default Fstop adjustment

Whatever you point of reference, realize that the world is made of all kind of people in terms of attitude, personality and beliefs.

If you choose to bestow your bias and idiocyncracies on everyone you meet you will find very consistent results. Essentially you project your set of beliefs and attitude and expect them to act as you would or you would expect them to act.

If you look at your problem long enough it grows thorns as the old saying goes

As prejudice is an innate defense mechanism we all employ it to initially accept or reject someone we first meet.

If your red haired cousin stole your cookie when you were three years old you probably look askew at redheads. Most reasonable people, however, move on and realize not all redheads are alike.

I'd probably treat a light skinned person differently than a dark skinned person by adjusting the Fstop on my camera depending on the intended composition of the photo.

Got a problem, first do a self exam.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

I agree there is work to be done. But I bet we would disagree on what that work would be.
undoubtedly, we would. because in my world, i understand fully that blacks are responsible for their own actions and furthermore their own successes and failures. you, on the other hand, live in a world where whites are the innocent victim in all of this, have been nothing but good to us black folk, and don't deserve to be called out on their hazardous way of thinking

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
lmao @ you actually believing that just because someone votes for obama, they are absolved of any real racism they may direct towards a black person. i assure you that it's that type of silly thinking that gives blacks more than a few good "chuckles"
I was unaware that millions of people needed to be absolved of anything. Seems rather narrow-minded.

In simple terms, if a white is racist, he thinks a black inferior. Thus, I do not envision such a white person handing the keys to the nation to a black man.

Quote:
i could continue typing until my fingers fall off, but i would get nowhere. it's not because you don't see my point, but because you choose not to see it. and as i attempted to point out before, i am a "successful" black man, in spite of any and all racism i encountered, so your race card theory holds no weight here
No Al Green, I simply disagree with you. I salute your success. Indeed it proves my point. If you are successful, and I will take you at your word, then obviously this racism you speak of was not much of an impediment. Were it a problem, you would not be successful.

Sorry to strip you of your weapon. But you actually do not need it.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:46 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
not the least bit surprised that you would accuse me of being another irritated black who would rather whine and point the finger at the white man instead of standing on his own two feet and earning his place in this world. you have no clue where i am now and what i have had to endure to get here

i never once suggested that a majority of whites were treating blacks wrong. what i said is that racism against blacks DOES INDEED exist. i can guarantee you that somewhere in this country, a minority is being denied an opportunity because of the color of their skin...this kind of stuff still happens, and you are blind if you think otherwise

so if you thought that electing a black president was going to just make us forget that there is still a lot of work to be done, think again.
Exactly.

I am blind and even I can see that.

Moth: there are plenty of parts in the country that are still full-blown racist. My wife and I get called names for being an interracial couple where we live. My wife has been accused of stealing by the same security guard who just offered to help me. If you don't think racism still exists, just spend your days with someone of another race. It will become painfully obvious that at least in some circles, you will be treated very differently because of your race.

Obama getting elected into office doesn't erase the racism that still happens today. And there are a good deal of people out there that think it's a pleasant surprise and a rare occurrence that a black person is intelligent and articulate, well-mannered and hard-working. Those are the kind of people that often think people like Obama are the exception but that blacks as a whole are still less intelligent and inarticulate, ill-mannered and lazy. So the fact that someone gets elected into office does not automatically mean that the whole nation is magically free of all their racist tendencies and beliefs.

It's also important to remember that not the whole country votes, so the beliefs of voters, and specifically of those who voted in the 2008 Presidential Election, isn't necessarily reflective of the nation's beliefs as a whole.

Quote:
Exit polls indicate that whites made up a slightly smaller percentage of the electorate than in 2004, as a surge among minority and youth voters aided Obama, who exit polls show won two-thirds of voters ages 18 to 29, 66 percent of Hispanics and 95 percent of blacks.

Although Kerry won all those groups in 2004, he did so with slimmer margins, taking 54 percent of the 18-to-29 vote, 53 percent of Hispanics and 88 percent of blacks.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15306.html

Old 08-05-2010, 11:53 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There's an excellent book about this topic called "Passing" by Nella Larsen. It describes a lot of situations where light-skinned black people could get into hotels and restaurants during a time when only white people were allowed in. They took advantage of their light skin to pass as white and benefit from the privileges of being white. It takes place in the 1920's to 1930's.
I agree...GREAT book.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

nimchimsky:

You and Al Green are manipulating what I say. I never said Obama magically did anything- perish the thought as he is thus far a major disapointment. Not because he is black. That is wholly irrelevant.

Anyway, I simpy said that a nation that elects a black man is not a racist nation. That does not preclude that you can find examples of it. And what if you can? Does that mean its still widespread and systematic? If so, then what explains Obama and the numerous other successful black people that you and Al Green curiously never mention? You are creating a logic loop.

And as I said, most things that are termed racist are anything but. Its just a mindless mantra. Sorry, you are not going to convince me otherwise. A black man is President of the USA. He is the most powerful man in the known universe. Whatever racism is out there obviously could not stop that from happening.

We have a black President, gents! These are great days! Stop sulking.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Wouldn't this be a better question to ask blacks? Not many whites will admit to treating people of different skin tones differently.
i treat people as people, i dont care about skin color.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i treat people as people, i dont care about skin color.
Neither do I. But that is no longer the measure of racism. Now its if you believe in the free market, low taxes, personal responsibility, and hard work.

Its truly a world gone mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies