Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,773,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartTheRevolution! View Post
Its not tyranny pal its the voice of the people. Just like when you vote for someone running for office just because your candidate loses you don't take it to court and get him pronounced the winner because some tyrant in a robe says so. We all lose some and we all win some. I wanted someone different running for Gov in my state but it didn't happen and I deal with that. Obviously its the liberals who want to overturn the will of the people. Homosexuals got to vote right along with everyone else in California they lost they need to get over it.
Philosophers for millenia have warned of the tyranny of the majority. I suggest you familiarize yourself with these people quickly to be apart of an intelligent debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,015,665 times
Quote:
1. I wasn't around when they legalized that. If the people say they don't want it then don't force it on them end of story. They can complain more when people in this country get enough of the bs and back stabbing and take this country back.
So apparently you know nothing of the "tyranny of hte majority", and why the government is specificallys et up to prevent such a thing.

Quote:
2.Yes very biased he is an open sodomite so yeah not like he didn't have an agenda or anything. Real neutral person to decide this case.'
Again, if you haven't read the court proceedings, then you really can't call him biased.

Quote:
3. Actually we are not supposed to be a democracy but unfortunately we are. We are supposed to be a Republic where the people's voice actually means something.
And now you seem to know nothing about governemnt systems period.

Democracy is where the majority rules.

Democratic Republic, which is what we are, elect a representative governement for the people that speaks FOR them. And from time to time, the judicial system rules on various laws *such as Prop. 8* to comment on the constitutionality of them.

Voted by the people or not, all laws are subject to constitutional review. THis one did not pass.

Quote:
4. The same President Bush who gave amnesty to 12 million illegal invaders. Yeah. I am not a conservative ok. I hated Bush if not more than Obama.
My mistake for assuming that you were conservative. You falsely claiming that this judge was liberal clouded my judgement.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:19 PM

47 posts, read 31,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Too bad! As long as their are people being persecuted and denied rights based on bias, ignorance and homophobia, the people being persecuted have the right to take it to higher courts. That is Democracy in action. You get over it.
Wa Wa Wa There you go. No one was being persecuted pal,ignorance no wrong again. Homophobia nope. Seeing how the Liberal state of California the people decided they didn't want it. I am not going to get over anything buddy. Just wait until the revolution starts can't wait until people start taking our country back 1 state at a time.Gonna be a great day.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-05-2010 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-04-2010, 06:20 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,539,865 times
I wonder if the same people who are against gay marriage would be willing to give up their marriage and benefits?

Of course NOT! Then it is about their "so called rights" (in their words)

Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM

47 posts, read 31,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Philosophers for millenia have warned of the tyranny of the majority. I suggest you familiarize yourself with these people quickly to be apart of an intelligent debate.
It has nothing to do with majority/minority it has to do with liberals,communists,traitors destroying this country. It also has everything to do with the will of the people. Liberals have to be the whiniest people on earth if they don't get their way they complain and whine and sue until its either settled in their favor or settled at the highest court.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,540,687 times
Quote:
Yes. Obviously that wouldn't happen so why worry about it? That is the problem with this country activist judges taking the law into their own hands. The people should be the end all of every question of controversy like this. The people said they didn't want it so that should be the end of it.Hopefully it makes it to the SC because if I remember correctly Conservatives still have a majority.
So if 50.1% of the population voted that women couldn't vote anymore.... we should just nod our heads and move on with life?

Sorry, the rights of the people are protected by the constitution and shouldn't be put to popular vote.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Its not tyranny pal its the voice of the people.
The majority trampling ont he rights of hte minority is known as "tyranny of the majority".

Which is something our government is set up to defend against.

Quote:
Just like when you vote for someone running for office just because your candidate loses you don't take it to court and get him pronounced the winner because some tyrant in a robe says so.
That's how Bush won the first time.

But that's besides the point.

You're comparing two different things.

You can't take it to court to try to get your candidate to win if there's proof that there's enough votes that he won.

However, if there's something wrong about him that disqualifies him from BEING a candidate, you most certainly CAN bring it to court.

Which is the case with Prop. 8.

There was something wrong with it, it should have never passed, and the plaintiffs more than proved their case on that one.

Quote:
Obviously its the liberals who want to overturn the will of the people.
Because only liberals were against Proposition 8.

Quote:
Homosexuals got to vote right along with everyone else in California they lost they need to get over it.
Read the court case.

You'll find out some shocking information.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,028,102 times
Quote:
Wa Wa Wa There you go. No one was being persecuted pal,ignorance no wrong again. Homophobia nope. Seeing how the Liberal state of California the people decided they didn't want it. I am not going to get over anything buddy. Just wait until the revolution starts can't wait until people start taking our country back 1 state at a time.Gonna be a great day.
You are obviously the cry baby by the way you are reacting to this decision.
You seem to like using the word "sodomite"...here's one for ya...Troglodyte.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-05-2010 at 12:13 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Just wait until the revolution starts can't wait until people start taking our country back 1 state at a time.Gonna be a great day.
What revolution?

There's not nearly enough steam for a revolution, and even if ther ewas, it would be rather short.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM

286 posts, read 697,564 times
StarTheRevolution,

- You use the words sodomites
- Your status is "A dark day for America."
- You seem to genuinely hate gays.

I don't know you or anything, but anyone who gets so upset about gays, probably has some "funny feelings" deep inside.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies