Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:57 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Any ethical landlord will charge an app fee per adult.
"Ethical" and "Landlord" do not belong in the same sentence with each other, unless it was meant in a negative manner.

Quote:
And I do believe California Fair Housing states that ALL adults to live in the unit must fill out, and pay for, a separate application..
Not really seeing that in California's fair Housing Act.

Could be missing it, however.

In any case, experience (at least in Virginia) does prove otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post

The state should not be defining what marriage is anyway. It use to be a church thing, and if their church does not like it then find a new one.
And before it was a church thing, it used to be an economical/political thing.

Marriage has never been exclusive to religion.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
Any ethical landlord will charge an app fee per adult. And I do believe California Fair Housing states that ALL adults to live in the unit must fill out, and pay for, a separate application..
In all the apartments and houses I looked at, the application fee was always "Per Adult or married couple". Each adult had to fill out the application, but the costs were always "Per adult or married couple". If you could, can you show me where California prohibits this? ((I'm rather curious))

Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
I don't see how this judge could be unbiased on this issue. Crazy.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Moderator cut: Public discussion of moderation
First, I don't support state recognition of any marriage, as it's a religious institution, even if you think it's secular, it's not.. But if there is state recognition of marriage, then it should be extended to gays as well.

However, the court blundered here applying the rational basis standard, which is the lowest standard. The distinction/classification must stand, using this standard unless there is no possible rational reason for it. The judge must even consider bases for the standard that the proponents of the classification did not raise. So if they only raised moral or religious things, while a judge can justly rule those are not rational bases for the distinction, there ARE rational bases for it. One would be cost cutting. Marriage confers benefits, like tax benefits, that would hurt state coffers, especially in times of deficits. It also means that survivors would get social security benefits, further dipping into the already over stretched funds. You may not like it, but it is a rational basis for not allowing it.

What I would argue, is that homosexuals should get intermediate scrutiny, a higher level of protection, but the courts only give them the rational basis standard, and under that, the court should have said that prop 8 meets the rational basis standard.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Judicial system is there to put limits on the "will of the people" when the acts of the "people" are outside the limits of the Constitution. This is the primary function of the Federal Judiciary.

The "people" are NOT always right.
Agreed. The government needs to stay out of the marriage issue and quit denying people their rights as citizens.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:15 AM

507 posts, read 878,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So, ONE judge gets to nullify the will of the people of California.

Outrageous.

This is liberal judicial activism at it's core.

And conservative HYPER-judical activism will overturn it at the supreme court as you very well know.

It is pitiful to see how reactionaries live in their ideology to the exclusion of all reality from their thought process, such as it is.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
The problem is, finding ANY judge who is unbiased on this issue.

Humans are naturally biased towards issues like this.

Read the court transcripts.

You can plainly see which side actually won the case just by reading those.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I would assume you'd say the same thing if it was a straight judge who ruled the opposite way??

Either way, read his proceedings. The conservatives have been ripping the thing to shreds, all 130 pages of it or whatever - and it's extremely solid and clear cut. He did his job.

If you think he's biased, prove it, don't just say it cause he's gay.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
The world, bless it, is round.........not flat. You don't get into heaven by paying alms to the church of god; you don't go blind by masturbating; you don't fall off the edge if you go west; gravity draws things to the ground from height, not the holy one; AIDS is not a gay disease; it's ok to call jesus out; the earth turns around the sun, not the other way around; eve did not spring from a rib; miracles do exist and desiring a physical relationship with a member of the same sex is not anything but fun.

Posted for those who don't know anything yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies