Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
gay marriage is not the same as interracial marriage
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Indeed they are, in that they are both rights won from the clutches of Christian theocrats - much the same as every other right and freedom we enjoy in this country (see slavery, women's suffrage, desegregation, prohibition etc etc etc).
No they arent..
1) One can result in reproduction, the other one can not
2) One complies with the LEGAL definition of "marriage" set by the FEDERAL government, the other one does not..

All of the babble about religion means nothing because the topic isnt how Christians view gays.. its a LEGAL challenged based upon LEGAL merits..
Quote:
gay marriage is not the same as interracial marriage
Quote:
The Constitution and all the rights therein is at its very core the antithesis to Biblical and Christian laws and principles.
No where in the Constitution is this issue discussed, nor is marriage a "right".. Its a privlidge, no different than driving a car..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
Quote:
Indeed they are, in that they are both rights won from the clutches of Christian theocrats - much the same as every other right and freedom we enjoy in this country (see slavery, women's suffrage, desegregation, prohibition etc etc etc).

The Constitution and all the rights therein is at its very core the antithesis to Biblical and Christian laws and principles.
no they are not because gay is not a race it is not a color. i am native american by birth not because i woke up one day and said oh im a native princess. the bible doesnt say you cant marry another race.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If a case came to the court about women's rights, do you think a judge should have accused herself if she was female??

In a case like Loving V Virginia do you think we should have inspected the relationships of the Judges to see if they were either in or ever were in an inter-racial relationship??

Do you see how insane this argument sounds??
And on top of all of that, Judge Walker is a Reagan appointee. He's not a liberal. In fact, he's angered gay rights groups in the past with some of his decisions.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I wonder if a liberal can even admit that a gay couple cannot procreate. That two people of the same sex cannot produce a child,an dif they use some kind of scientific intervention, the child will still only biologically be related to one of the couple, not both.
Yes, and some women can't procreate (my Aunt is an example). Should my Uncled and Aunt be barred from being married when they did 35 years ago since she could not have kids??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
The judge is openly gay... not a secret.
Why didn't the pro prop 8 legal team ask to have him removed?

Because they knew it was not a basis for removal?
Because they were incompetent?
How many liberals here were crying when the judge dismissed the Obama ban for drilling, even though he owned oil stock YEARS ago.. You all proclaimed he couldnt be inpartial even though he had no financial incentive NOW..

All of a sudden liberals are proclaiming this judge is inpartial, (and I'm not proclaiming he isnt, just pointing out the irony here), even though he DOES have an incentive..

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well then convince more Republicans to accept it. The numbers are very lopsided. Same-sex marriage faces a lot more opposition among Republicans than it does among Democrats.
I thought it was blacks and hispanics that put Prop 8 over the top in California...

If that is true it would seem that there is more opposition from the democrats...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
In fact, he's angered gay rights groups in the past with some of his decisions.
What decisions would that be? I'm asking because I'm curious how many "gay rights" challenges exist in this one mans court room...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:27 PM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
Quote:
no they are not because gay is not a race it is not a color. i am native american by birth not because i woke up one day and said oh im a native princess. the bible doesnt say you cant marry another race.
So you woke up one day and said, "Oh, I'm a heterosexual"? You're saying your sexual orientation was in doubt up until that day? It could have gone either way? You decided to be attracted to the opposite sex one day, but up until that day, you were equally attracted to both/neither?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Online polls flooded with pro-gay voters mean little, especially when put up against STATE ELECTIONS WITH VOTERS OF THOSE STATES VOTING.

I would think a valid state election would trump an online poll....don't you think?

So far, in every state the issue has been put to the ballot, VOTERS have banned gay marriage.

Isn't that the right way to do it?

Of course, for the pro-gay marriage supporters, it's only the right way IF the results AGREE with their position.

The voters Banned gay marriage, The Supreme Court of California affirmed the election. ONE GAY JUDGE nullified 7 million votes.
If you knew anything about the US Constitution, you would know that, no, 'the people' DO NOT have the right to vote on the privilege of marriage for any group or individual.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:30 PM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
Quote:
the judge should have been replaced this is not right to have someone who is obviously going to side with gays and everyone knew it. they should have had someone who was open to both sides of the arguement.
Who would that have been? Would you be equally convinced s/he were biased if it had been a heterosexual?

The fact that this judge was homosexual was no secret. The supporters of Prop 8 could have insisted he recuse himself at ANY POINT where they felt he was demonstrating bias of any kind. Apparently, they were satisfied with his ability to be unbiased. Or are you now saying that the people chosen by the supporters of Prop 8 were also biased, and sought a judge that they were sure would rule against them? I mean, that must be what happened, right? Otherwise, why didn't THEY ask him to recuse himself? It happens all the time when plaintiffs/defendants believe the judge has a bias... why not in this case, when the stakes were so high?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies