Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 PM

22 posts, read 94,193 times

Advertisements

Why is it that the gay population have so many rights today? How is it that they have their own culture? It is all wrong, no gay man should have more rights than a normal human being in any society, it goes against all that is right in the world, NO to Gays should be the ruling in all the States !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,562,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I thought it was blacks and hispanics that put Prop 8 over the top in California...

If that is true it would seem that there is more opposition from the democrats...
A general election is open to everybody, not just Democrats.

36% of Democrats voted for the ban
82% of Republicans voted for it

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,980,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It wasn't before, it was the reason for it. It produced bloodlines, which in turn merged houses, family lines, etc... and the result was recognition of birthright, etc... to which led to the need eventually for society to legally recognize it due to its production.

Some may not have kids, but they still can, sometimes by accident. Definition still applies regardless of a persons specific action.

Homosexuals never produce, don't fit the definition and never will. That is, unless they change it. Then the word has no meaning as what do they call a union that can produce a bloodline?

Apparently not when a majority in a state disagrees and says it is still quite relevant today.

It isn't an angle, It is a simple fact, but hey... gays get to make all the rules and force their opinion on the masses, I mean, they are what? a whole 1-3% of the worlds population? Seems normal to me! /boggle
And your point about what percentage of the population
gays are is... I think you have it backwards. Its the
religious right that forces their opinions on the masses.

The whole premise of prop 8 was that that leaving the constitution unchanged would result in public schools teaching our kids that gay marriage is okay.

Let's bring back the chastity belt, while were at it
The term today implies over protectiveness. What are you really afraid of? That our children will just jump on that Gay wagon and there will be no reproduction of the species

Frankly, there are some hetro folks I'd be more than happy to see their bloodline come to an end

Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,824,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
If you knew anything about the US Constitution, you would know that, no, 'the people' DO NOT have the right to vote on the privilege of marriage for any group or individual.
If you knew anything about the Constitution, you'd understand that marriage is not a right

And people do have the right to vote on priviledges.. Tell me where in the Constititution the right to vote on privlidges were removed

Old 08-05-2010, 01:37 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,737,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
So, you're saying that my brother and his wife of 24 years aren't really in a marriage because they've never 'produced' children?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
"NO!" Stupid comment and you know it.
Did you or did you not say the following?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda
Marriage is between a man and a woman and produces children.

If your claim is that marriage is defined by the children the couple produces, then yes, you are saying my brother and his wife are not really in a marriage.

1,530 posts, read 3,929,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
So you woke up one day and said, "Oh, I'm a heterosexual"? You're saying your sexual orientation was in doubt up until that day? It could have gone either way? You decided to be attracted to the opposite sex one day, but up until that day, you were equally attracted to both/neither?
what the hell are you talking about? that i could have gone either way? sorry as a small child i was not told i needed to know how to be gay or to have an open mind, fortunately i was a child during a time when gay was not forced upon small children we were to do things like play and have friends and not think about sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
the judge should have been replaced this is not right to have someone who is obviously going to side with gays and everyone knew it. they should have had someone who was open to both sides of the arguement.
Preposterous.

Does that mean straight judges will always make decisions favoring straight people?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidawarrior View Post
Why is it that the gay population have so many rights today? How is it that they have their own culture? It is all wrong, no gay man should have more rights than a normal human being in any society, it goes against all that is right in the world, NO to Gays should be the ruling in all the States !!!
And this is the reason why we have a Constitution and a court system in the U.S.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM

15,582 posts, read 7,461,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
You know what thrills me? What thrills me is this...

About 5 years ago, I was visiting my grandmother-in-law. I adored her. When my husband and I first started dating, I met his gram 6 days after our first date. She and I hit it off immediately and she right away started referring to me as her granddaughter. One of my very most favorite pictures in the world is a photo of me sitting beside her, my husband squatting on the floor in front of her, on the day of our wedding. I have copies of it all over my house... all three of us are positively glowing. She passed in November 2008 at the age of 99. So at the time we had this conversation, she was about 96.

She was living in an assisted living center. We were having lunch in her little "apartment" when a lady from the staff knocked on the door. I let her in, we chatted for a few - she just wanted to make sure gram was having something to eat since she hadn't seen her in the dining room. She left shortly thereafter, and gram turned to me and said:

"I remember when I thought blacks weren't really people. That they were dirty, or that they were bad. I remember being disgusted by the idea of white people marrying them. I remember being afraid of them. I remember my father being enraged when the laws changed, and I remember agreeing with him. I look back now and wonder 'who was that woman? Could that really have been me?' I just didn't understand... I'm glad I lived long enough to learn better."

What thrills me is knowing that in about 40 years, that same conversation is going to be repeated about homosexuals. That before I die, we'll get to a point in this country where so many of the ignorant, bigoted and horrifying comments being made in threads like this all over the land will be looked back upon with disgust and shame... where it will be abnormal to consider homosexuals to be somehow less-worthy, or less-deserving, than heterosexuals.

I'm going to enjoy the heck out of that. And knowing it is coming makes a lot of this garbage a whole lot easier to swallow.
Wingsy, I loved your story. However, there is a difference here.

This law is about sex. Pure and simple sex. The only minority difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual is sex and who the genders wish to have their sex.

This is a moral issue, not a culture one. Socially accepted acts carried on in the bedroom...

To be honest, when I have a friendly conversation with a man I expect the looks of questioning, 'why is she being friendly with me'? Now, I can't talk with a woman either. I don't dare compliment her on her outfit.

~ i shake my head ~ no this, no...too much that will help me to graduate into the anti-social, because it is people that have made being social much more difficult.

But hey, the divorce lawyers will have more clients.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,932,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidawarrior View Post
Why are you blabbering about gays having MORE rights than heterosexuals when this is about gays having the exact same right that heterosexuals do? Good thing you concluded with three exclamation points, it wasn't already obvious how irrational and emotionally guided your argument is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies