Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:45 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You actually have an educational system in Texas?
The Texas education system must be better than Floridas. At least Texans know how to read a ballot and figure which hole to punch.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So this new spending bill to save teachers has a Texas specific clause in it.

Texas could lose education aid under new jobs bill | khou.com | khou.com Texas News

"The U.S. Senate gave initial approval
Wednesday to a bill that would require Texas to maintain state
education spending levels through 2013, a state-specific mandate
Republican Gov. Rick Perry has called unconstitutional.
The Texas Constitution prohibits the
governor from committing to future legislative spending. Perry
spokeswoman Katherine Cesinger said previously that ties his hands."

So Texas will lose up to $800 million. And..the one who put this amendment in is Texas Dem. Lloyd Doggett.

Talk about cut your nose to spite your face. All because Texas refused to take Fed education money which mandated the state make changes based on Fed mandates. Doggett gets even eh ? The stimulus money we did get we didn't 100% spend because we didn't need to.

Think about it..Texas is not asking for any teacher bailouts. The stimulus money must have been used properly compared to the likes of California and other states that are asking for more money.

What the heck is wrong with our country where states that didn't throw that money away are now being punished because they saved it for when it's really needed as opposed to spending it all and coming back with their hands out ?
But, but, but, it's for the children. I guess the dems hate children. That is the normal dem rant anytime the repubs don't vote in favor for one of the dems bills that is so loaded with crap it shouldn't be passed.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,706 times
Quote:
So this new spending bill to save teachers has a Texas specific clause in it.

Texas could lose education aid under new jobs bill | khou.com | khou.com Texas News

"The U.S. Senate gave initial approval
Wednesday to a bill that would require Texas to maintain state
education spending levels through 2013, a state-specific mandate
Republican Gov. Rick Perry has called unconstitutional.
The Texas Constitution prohibits the
governor from committing to future legislative spending. Perry
spokeswoman Katherine Cesinger said previously that ties his hands."

So Texas will lose up to $800 million. And..the one who put this amendment in is Texas Dem. Lloyd Doggett.

Talk about cut your nose to spite your face. All because Texas refused to take Fed education money which mandated the state make changes based on Fed mandates. Doggett gets even eh ? The stimulus money we did get we didn't 100% spend because we didn't need to.

Think about it..Texas is not asking for any teacher bailouts. The stimulus money must have been used properly compared to the likes of California and other states that are asking for more money.

What the heck is wrong with our country where states that didn't throw that money away are now being punished because they saved it for when it's really needed as opposed to spending it all and coming back with their hands out ?
Is this because they put the black people back in the history books ?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
The Dem's and Congress can sit on the Lone Star and rotate.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM

507 posts, read 878,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
Is this because they put the black people back in the history books ?

No. its because some book said Jesus was Jewish .

Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM

507 posts, read 878,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
The Dem's and Congress can sit on the Lone Star and rotate.
I'm sure they will after TX reverts to Mexico.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Rib Texas all you want but we have a Governor who said NO, NO and NO to Fed money that had strings attached. We tightened our belts and did layoffs.

Texas did the right thing and look at what's happening.

Is begging the Fed government for money to pay your state worker salaries the "good thing to do" these days ? The money is not infinite. How long will the Fed carry state salaries ? As long as unemployment ?

Is the Fed becoming the employer of last resort here ?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Let me preface this by saying, I could be wrong.

But, doesn't the No Child Left Behind Act give the federal government authority to require states to spend money given to them by the federal government for education on education.

This may be something around this situation, and the NCLB act.

Granted, I don't like the NCLB, and I would love to see it gone away with. But this problem may have Republican roots, and a former governor of Texas who happened to be President at the time.

Poisoned fruit from a bad tree my friends.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
Quote:
Rib Texas all you want but we have a Governor who said NO, NO and NO to Fed money that had strings attached. We tightened our belts and did layoffs.

Texas did the right thing and look at what's happening.

Is begging the Fed government for money to pay your state worker salaries the "good thing to do" these days ? The money is not infinite. How long will the Fed carry state salaries ? As long as unemployment ?

Is the Fed becoming the employer of last resort here ?

Logic only works for rational people.
You forget people from other places know more about Texas than Texans or at least they think they do.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Let me preface this by saying, I could be wrong.

But, doesn't the No Child Left Behind Act give the federal government authority to require states to spend money given to them by the federal government for education on education.

This may be something around this situation, and the NCLB act.

Granted, I don't like the NCLB, and I would love to see it gone away with. But this problem may have Republican roots, and a former governor of Texas who happened to be President at the time.

Poisoned fruit from a bad tree my friends.
Sorry Memphis1979..this was the stimulus money, not the NCLB Fed money they are griping about.
And public school funding in Texas is exempt from any mandatory budget cuts needed to ward off a budget shortfall in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies