U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:47 PM

142 posts, read 356,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Virtually everybody believes that if the President was White, there would never ever be a discussion of the President's citizenship or he being american.
I think there is some validity to that statement. Just my 2 cents, but I cant help questioning whether the Tea Party would exist today if Hillary Clinton was the one elected president in '08.

Im not sure what to make of the tea party and I don't understand their rants about "our freedoms being taken away", etc. If anything, things like gun rights have actually expanded under the current administration's watch.

Politically, I am a centrist "fence sitter" but nothing makes me want to jump over to the Democrat side more than seeing stuff like what goes on at tea party rallies. I think the tea party has been extremely effective at firing up the GOP base, but in the process has alienated the huge numbers of fence sitters like myself.

Last edited by TheDarkHorse; 08-06-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:01 PM

72 posts, read 98,654 times
All I want to know is where were these so called "Tea party concerned citizens" during the Bush years????

Where were the leaders & followers of this so called " movement" when....

As everyone can clearly recall, Pres. Bush inherited a $128 billion budget surplus from Bill Clinton when he took office in 2001. Bush quickly squandered that and then proceeded to rack up gigantic budget deficits every year of his two terms in office.

Under Bush, the national debt grew by more than $4 trillion: the biggest debt increase of any president in U.S. history. ( imagining if a democrat racked up this debt??? The World Liberal Spender resign would be heard non stop )

When Bush took office in 2001, the national debt stood at $5.7 trillion. At the end of Bush's two terms, the debt had skyrocketed to more than $9.849 trillion. And remember: Bush enjoyed a Republican Senate and House of Representatives during most of his time in office.

Things weren't helped along any by Bush's decision & totally unnecessary Iraq War. That disaster will probably wind up costing the U.S. $3 trillion.

Now where were ALL these " BUDGET DEFICIT HAWKS" for the last 8 years ???

There was No Movement, No Protest, Not a Single Damn beep from these very same so called Tea Party Activists.

We spent $ 10 fr_ _ken BILLION dollars Every Single Month on " Nation Building" in Iraq in the the last 5 years of Bush. We spent a BILLIONS of US Taxpayers Money on HELPING Non-Americans, Foreigners, Arabs who by All accounts HATE AMERICANS ANYWAY. These people NEVER looked at the US as saviors of Iraq.

Now Explain this to me. IF George W. Bush did all these things above & George W. Bush happened to be a DEMOCRAT - a so called "Liberal", "Left Wing" blah blah blah...... COULD YOU IMAGINE the OUTRAGE, the ANGER, THE PROTEST by these so called Tea Party movement ????

God, if he happened to have a D next to his name, THE REPUBLICAN LED CONGRESS WOULD HAVE PROBABLY IMPEACHED HIM for " Blowing US TaxPayers Money to HISTORIC Levels of spending". The Tea P's would have asked for his resignation for WASTING the lives of Young American Men & Women at 40 Dead per month

To add insult to the american public, a Tea Party Movement is launched 6 months into a New US President ?????? You keep your mouth shut for 8 long years, you then lose by a landslide, - you respond by Accusing a NEW PRESIDENT starting at 6 months of his Presidency as FAILURE?? Failure for Fixing the massive damage that your idols & leaders created for 8 years???

This is why the TEA PARTY Movement is NOTHING but a LOUD NOISE coming from the Same 20% of the general electorate, the same ultra loyal conservative right base of the republican party.

This never was & will never expand beyond the lunatic base of this party.

Its literally a New Name by the Very same 20% of voters who hounded, tracked, ridiculed, insulted Bill Clinton non stop in the 90's. They are back today, using a new name, calling themselves a movement & with one goal in mind.... To Make Damn sure President Obama FAILS at all cost !!!

It truly has turned into the Movement of NO !!! Unbelievable !!!

Can't believe I was once a Republican in my old life. I'm now happy to be an Independent.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM

72 posts, read 98,654 times
My Lord, Lets get real honest and serious.

IF Barack Obama was White, WOULD ANYBODY, ANYBODY EVER question his citizenship????

I'm white male. If I ever ran for any office including President- NO ONE, NOBODY would ever question my citizenship. ( unless I had a THICK Polish, Russian, Italian or Irish accent LOL )

Seriously, I cannot even categorized this as Racism or Simply Pure Stupidity ! ( or Both )

To have 40% of the GOP base actually believe that a " Single White Mother" 50 years ago decided to COMMIT FRAUD against the US Gov't because she had tremendous foresight as a struggling divorced Single Mother in 1961, that her son Barack would become President one day. So she would FIND A WAY to FAKE Barack's Birth Certificate is just the ultimate stupidity of these people.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:09 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,920,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSLX View Post
All I want to know is where were these so called "Tea party concerned citizens" during the Bush years????

Where were the leaders & followers of this so called " movement" when....
The Tea Party movement is not a faction of the Republican party. Obviously the Republican party want to co-opt the movement because they sense that it is a potential source of votes.

There are a few reasons that the movement has gathered momentum recently. One is the banking meltdown. As long as the economy is doing well, everyone is happy. There were widespread grass roots protests related to the banking crisis, back when Lehman and Bear Sterns collapsed. The other is that health care reform is on the table. Once it goes through, it's a major spending commitment, much like social security.

Some of the reforms proposed are expansive and deserve to be the subject of serious scrutiny. Name-calling and stereotyping those who have legitimate concerns isn't a constructive contribution to the debate.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,223,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDolan View Post
The Coffee Party is the College Educated version of the Tea party....
Again, the only damn way someone can hood wink you all day long is if you NEVER bother going to College.

Oh well, that's the dumbing of america!
You are on the right track regarding college, but it's the party I belong to - the Beer Party - that is the most college educated. When I was in college, we had so many beer parties, and most of the people there (with the exception of girls who weren't in college) got a college degree (eventually).

So it's the Beer Party that is most educated.

The Tea Party is basically just a lot of little girls with frilly dresses serving pretend tea to their friends and stuffed animals with their little tea sets and watching Gilmore Girls DVD's.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 AM

912 posts, read 2,301,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorse View Post
I think there is some validity to that statement. Just my 2 cents, but I cant help questioning whether the Tea Party would exist today if Hillary Clinton was the one elected president in '08.
The tea party probably would not exist if Hillary was President, because Hillary's views on national and world affairs are much more rooted in reality and pragmatism than a win-at-all-costs, "ram-it-through against the will of the people" arrogance employed by Obama. I am a registered Republican and consider myself on the liberatarian wing of the GOP (pro-choice, pro-gun, low taxes, scrap affirmative action). I may not agree with a lot of what Hillary Clinton says, but that's fine, because in the end she is a skillful, articulate and well-meaning woman who puts her country first and, at the very least, is open to compromise and working with both sides to find a solution to our many national issues.

Obama, on the other hand, came to power through the corrupt inner city political system in Chicago, elected by a populace that was largely uneducated, poor and in many cases reliant on public assistance. Wherever he went, he was probably the smartest person in the room. He proposed something and he always got what he wanted - right up the White House. Now he's there, and he's arrogantly refusing to come to grips with the fact that at this point he is usually the most inexperienced and unqualified person in whatever setting he finds himself.

Obama cares about nothing except solidifying the Democrats' urban base (probably through legalizing the illegal aliens) and ramming through a far-left agenda, cost be damned.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 AM

81 posts, read 162,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
The Tea Party movement is not a faction of the Republican party. Obviously the Republican party want to co-opt the movement because they sense that it is a potential source of votes.

There are a few reasons that the movement has gathered momentum recently. One is the banking meltdown. As long as the economy is doing well, everyone is happy. There were widespread grass roots protests related to the banking crisis, back when Lehman and Bear Sterns collapsed. The other is that health care reform is on the table. Once it goes through, it's a major spending commitment, much like social security.

Some of the reforms proposed are expansive and deserve to be the subject of serious scrutiny. Name-calling and stereotyping those who have legitimate concerns isn't a constructive contribution to the debate.
Elford, Elford Elford,

Have you been to a TP rally in Morristown??? Did you see their rally in Bergen ???

Do you know the names they "publicly" & "repeatedy" Call President Obama??? Your President Obama. My President Obama .

After all Elford, you may hate Obama but since you are an American citizen living in America- he is still your President, right???

You call out a CD poster for being critical of Tea Party & start lecturing him for calling this movement a joke, Boy you better start in your own backyard. Before you get all "concerned" about your TP being called names, your should first call YOUR PEOPLE to stop the below the belt insults of YOUR President.

He may be Hussein to you. He may be " Not really born in the USA" to you BUT lets get on thing straight - As long as you are an American, an american who also lives in America- He is still YOUR President & deserves your respect & everyone's respect.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Elford, Elford Elford,

Have you been to a TP rally in Morristown??? Did you see their rally in Bergen ???

Do you know the names they "publicly" & "repeatedy" Call President Obama??? Your President Obama. My President Obama .

After all Elford, you may hate Obama but since you are an American citizen living in America- he is still your President, right???

You call out a CD poster for being critical of Tea Party & start lecturing him for calling this movement a joke, Boy you better start in your own backyard. Before you get all "concerned" about your TP being called names, your should first call YOUR PEOPLE to stop the below the belt insults of YOUR President.

He may be Hussein to you. He may be " Not really born in the USA" to you BUT lets get on thing straight - As long as you are an American, an american who also lives in America- He is still YOUR President & deserves your respect & everyone's respect.
Now Elford, I was in Wall Street for two decades. Was in Dean Witter for 8 years, 5 years in Shearson & Lehman. Was a Senior Manager level for 5 years.

Can you explain to ALL of us HOW, Barack Obama is responsible for the eventual demise of Lehman & Bear ???

Can you also explain to me the Role of George W. Bush & the Republican Controlled Congress in the collapse of our banking industry under the All Out Gutting of Wall Street Regulations ???

Can you explain to me, a 13 year Wall Street veteran how Steve Cox, (former republican legislator & Bush appointee to the SEC)Former SEC chairman played in the debacle of Wall Street?

I am curious to hear how Bush & the GOP brought this country to greatness in their reign & how Obama in 15 months is evil?

Also Elford, since you seem to be VERY CONCERNED about Spending & Deficit, Would you care to Copy All of Us your Past Posts in 2006, maybe 2007 or 2008 on HOW CRITICAL you WERE on ALL THE MASSIVE SPENDING of Bush & the Republican led Congress especially the DOUBLE DIGIT BILLIONS, I repeat BILLIONS every month on Iraq alone??? Boy, you must have been VERY HARD, VERY CRITICAL of Bush, Cheney, McConnell, Kyle & Co. Can you share with us your outrage???

I just want to read & refresh my memory on HOW OUTRAGED you were when Bush deregulated Wall Street to Skeletons while spending massively since you are So Concerned about this 15 month presidency of YOUR President Obama.

Last edited by CRDolan; 08-07-2010 at 04:13 AM..

Old 08-07-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
The tea party probably would not exist if Hillary was President, because Hillary's views on national and world affairs are much more rooted in reality and pragmatism than a win-at-all-costs, "ram-it-through against the will of the people" arrogance employed by Obama. I am a registered Republican and consider myself on the liberatarian wing of the GOP (pro-choice, pro-gun, low taxes, scrap affirmative action). I may not agree with a lot of what Hillary Clinton says, but that's fine, because in the end she is a skillful, articulate and well-meaning woman who puts her country first and, at the very least, is open to compromise and working with both sides to find a solution to our many national issues.

Obama, on the other hand, came to power through the corrupt inner city political system in Chicago, elected by a populace that was largely uneducated, poor and in many cases reliant on public assistance. Wherever he went, he was probably the smartest person in the room. He proposed something and he always got what he wanted - right up the White House. Now he's there, and he's arrogantly refusing to come to grips with the fact that at this point he is usually the most inexperienced and unqualified person in whatever setting he finds himself.

Obama cares about nothing except solidifying the Democrats' urban base (probably through legalizing the illegal aliens) and ramming through a far-left agenda, cost be damned.
Gambler, since you are now a BIG FAN of Hillary Clinton, can you show us your past posts in support of Hillary Clinton???

Now you attack Obama for being a politician from Chicago. You attack Obama for only caring about his urban base.

Now did it ever occur to you that the OTHER SIDE ( if you happen to stop & think ) can, could & have said that BUSH only cared about the Ultra Rich, Bush massively spent Tax Payers money on Non-Americans ( On Foreigners in thr Arabian Peninsula), Bush gamely took out ALL Regulation, ALL teeth on Wall Street that opened about Massive abuses until its collapse.

Bush, Cheney allowed massive NO BID contracts in Iraq with Halliburton. The same Halliburton that Cheney was a former head of.

Now tell me, is that serious or is that NO BIG DEAL?

If Bush was a Democrat ( as other posters have said), would you & Elford have been SILENT about Bush.

No one answerd the question raised. Where was TP under Bush???

Gambler, in case you forgot, Bush LOST the popular vote when he came into office in 2000. ( the first President in over 100 years to ever lose a popular vote if I may add). Bush barely won the electoral vote after the Supreme Court ( with a GOP Majority of appointees) affirmed his victory.

Now without ZERO mandate, Bush from day one, Governed this country the way he & Dick Cheney wanted to. Attacked Iraq, racked up the highest deficit in US History( with the help of his then GOP House Majority & Senate Majority Leader), Gutted Wall Street Regulation, Gave the Biggest Tax cut in history the the wealthiest 1% of americans( which I doubt very much you & Elford are members of)

Now this guy Obama comes into power. Wins by a MASSIVE LANDSLIDE! the Biggest Popular & Electoral Win in three Long Decades. In over 35 years!!! Has what we call in English language a MANDATE. A Huge Mandate.
He ran under Healthcare Reform. He ran under Wall Street Financial Reform. He then WON BY A LANDSLIDE including the Very Same State that YOU LIVE in.

The last time a Check, we are a democratic country. In a democratic country, the majority rules. The bigger the majority, the bigger the mandate for change.

Now Gambler, Have you ever heard of the PHRASE, " Elections have Consequences" ???? I hope you heard & understand what that means.

If your idol Bush, who WITHOUT any mandate, Changed the course of this nation down the drain, Who are you, Elford & any TP to Demand, Yell, insult Obama if he does what PEOPLE VOTED HIM to do.

You did not Vote for Obama. Elford did NOT vote for Obama.

You lose. Obama won. Tea Party lost. Democrats won.

So why in heaven's name DO YOU KEEP FORCING YOUR AGENDA on Obama & this nation? Why are you so upset when Obama passed Healthcare, passed Wall Street Reform? He is not out to impress you.

Amazing, the ones who DID NOT vote for Obama are lecturing & dictating to him how he should run this country.

Boys, we tried it your way for 8 long years! Today, there were roughly 3 million registered republicans unemployed by February 2009 Our country's banking system inflicted serious damages in the last 8 years.

You boys should give it a rest. Your Tea Party movement started in the 6 month anniversary of Obama. 6 months into his presidency.

6 months!!!! That alone tells you what movement this is.

As Gallup & Reuters has stated on its survey polling, 89% of TP members are the same registered Republican base.

Yes, this is ALL about politics!!!! Nothing more, Nothing less!!!

All the Racism ??? That's the least of my concerns at this point.

A black man educates himself to be a Harvard Lawyer, A Columbia University alumnus. So many of The white males in the Morristown TP rally calling Obama names never step into a college campus in their entire lives.
Their kids are on the same track as them.

They now call this man condescending names ? ( instead of telling their sons & daughters how ANYTHING in america is possible if you study hard & get a good education. Even a black man can become president)

Rush & Sean laugh every morning to the bank with millions of these lost people screaming yes into everything Rush L says. Its the blind leading the blind.

Unreal !!! LOL!!! And you pat Hillary Clinton on the back ! LOL

Seriously now, If Hillary was President today, would you & Elford be singing kumbaya with her??? LOL

Old 08-07-2010, 06:17 AM

2,771 posts, read 5,920,296 times
Quote:
Elford, Elford Elford,
If you're going to address me by my handle in a condescending tone, would you at least spell it correctly ?

Quote:
No I haven't. Attending rallies isn't my thing.

I have seen footage from some of the rallies.

Quote:
Who is "they" ? There you go again with the stereotyping.

Quote:
your should first call YOUR PEOPLE to stop the below the belt insults of YOUR President.
They're not "my people". They do no answer to me, nor do I have any control over them. They do have legitimate concerns about the future of this country, and name-calling is not responsive to these concerns.

Quote:
He may be Hussein to you. He may be " Not really born in the USA"
There you go again -- you're stereotyping me now. Find one, just one post where I called the president "Hussein", or claimed that he was not born in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies