Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:33 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDolan View Post
Now Elford, I was in Wall Street for two decades. Was in Dean Witter for 8 years, 5 years in Shearson & Lehman. Was a Senior Manager level for 5 years.

Can you explain to ALL of us HOW, Barack Obama is responsible for the eventual demise of Lehman & Bear ???
There you go making things up. I never wrote nor implied that Obama had anything to do with that, so why should I explain it ?

Do you have any other false accusations or diversions you'd like me to respond to ?

Quote:
Also Elford, since you seem to be VERY CONCERNED about Spending & Deficit, Would you care to Copy All of Us your Past Posts in 2006, maybe 2007 or 2008 on HOW CRITICAL you WERE on ALL THE MASSIVE SPENDING of Bush & the Republican led Congress especially the DOUBLE DIGIT BILLIONS, I repeat BILLIONS every month on Iraq alone???
I wasn't on this board in 2006/7. However, I have been accused of "working for the Obama administration" on this board:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...e-sales-3.html

But that's really a distraction, and it's the kind of thing I'm taking issue with -- people like you apparently believe that name-calling and smear is a legitimate response to concerns about the future of this country.

Criticizing spending on right wing pet projects is not a justification for further spending on left wing pet projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 05:47 AM

8 posts, read 13,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
If you're going to address me by my handle in a condescending tone, would you at least spell it correctly ?

No I haven't. Attending rallies isn't my thing.

I have seen footage from some of the rallies.

Who is "they" ? There you go again with the stereotyping.

They're not "my people". They do no answer to me, nor do I have any control over them. They do have legitimate concerns about the future of this country, and name-calling is not responsive to these concerns.

There you go again -- you're stereotyping me now. Find one, just one post where I called the president "Hussein", or claimed that he was not born in the USA.
i voted for president bush twice because of my deep catholic beliefs in the sanctity of life of the unborn. My husband & I have been very disturbed many times in the 8 years of president bush due to his decisions.
if not for our strong commitment to our catholic faith and protecting the unborn, we would have abandoned him a long time ago due to this war policy and his disastrous handling of our economy.

it took us a lot of serious contemplation, lots of prayer to abandon senator mccain and vote for president obama.
but we really had to think what was best for the country and the millions of people hurt by the bush policies.

i have to say the reading many of your past writings, you have been extremely critical on virtually every move and every decision president obama has made. you come across as extremely partisan against anything that the democrats do.

your struggles in buying a home in nj seems to be all blamed on corzine, obama. i do not think i ever read a critical writing from you on citydata against bush, cheney or christie. all your financial struggles are because of these dems.

i will be upfront with you. I do not think you have the moral ground to tell others in citydata to temper their criticism of this teaparty group.

always look in the mirror. always look at yourself before being critical of others.

my husband & i have been blessed by god. we got a good education, worked very hard but always gave both our time and money to the catholic church.

corzine, clinton, obama has absolutely very little bearing in anyone who wants to succeed in life.

if more people who attend these teaparty rallies spent their time going back to earn their college degree instead of spending wasteful time attacking every single thing the govt does- our country would be in better shape.

i never believed that it is a coincidence that so many of the biggest critics of this new president here in citydata or on the streets are the less educated class of people. they have been really manipulated.

98 percent of consumers can only benefit from the recent financial reform bill. only the very financial firms who destroyed our economy & high level people in these firms would ever be fearful.

yet you see the very same less educated people who are either lower or mddle income class " almost cluelessly" or in "deep ignorance" due to a lack of educational analytical skill come out against the financial reform bill.

its literally copying what a politician or radio host says verbatim without really understanding how it impacts his own life & his family.

very disturbing pattern that was prevalent in the poor south but is more and more prevalent in new jersey.

as a proud italian-american, it really bothers me to see some italians who never bothered to go to college, and have joined other like minded groups in blaming very new government for their failures in life.

yes i guess it does feel good to be around people who are like you. it makes one feel better than others are also in the same boat

Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 AM

8 posts, read 13,627 times
i hope you do not fall for the teaparty and the republicans are two different entities.
i'm not sure if a neighbor or a friend gave you this erroneous information.

9 out of 10 teaparty supporters are registered republicans. virtually 100% of tea party political speakers are republican elected officials. there is now a teaparty GOP caucus in congress.

this is a very simple example of a misleading claim that is repeated many times & somehow becomes accepted as truth.

Most people with a higher education will investigate rather than accept anything that uncle joe or aunt maria says is true.

please stop repeating this teaparty is not republican statement because its frankly stupid.

its like a 6 yr old relating a tale to a mother or father.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieLLC View Post
i have to say the reading many of your past writings, you have been extremely critical on virtually every move and every decision president obama has made. you come across as extremely partisan against anything that the democrats do.
This is simply not true. Would you care to find examples of posts where I criticize decisions the president has made ? I'd actually encourage you to go and look, because your comments are so off base here that I think you may have me confused with someone else.

Quote:
your struggles in buying a home in nj seems to be all blamed on corzine, obama.
Are you making this up ? Would you care to find posts where I "blame" Corzine or Obama for the housing bubble ? You won't find them, because neither Corzine nor Obama had very much to do with the cause of the housing bubble. You will find posts where I rebut the right wing canard that the cause of the housing bubble was "Fannie and Freddie lending to black people".

Quote:
i do not think i ever read a critical writing from you on citydata against bush, cheney or christie.
Bush and Cheney weren't in office when I posted here. I can DM you posts elsewhere where I'm very critical of them.

I haven't criticized Christie a whole lot here, because I think he's doing a very good job in focusing on the budget.

But, here I am pushing back against some knee-jerk attacks on Corzine:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...isgrace-5.html

Quote:
i will be upfront with you. I do not think you have the moral ground to tell others in citydata to temper their criticism of this teaparty group.
I don't have the authority, moral or otherwise to tell them what to do, but if they are wrong, I will call them on it. If their so-called criticisms are just nasty name calling I will call them on it much like I did with the name calling against Corzine.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieLLC View Post
i hope you do not fall for the teaparty and the republicans are two different entities.
i'm not sure if a neighbor or a friend gave you this erroneous information.

9 out of 10 teaparty supporters are registered republicans.
So, 1 out of 10 aren't. You could use the same kind of argument to make the case that the NRA was a "wing" of the Republican party, and the ACLU was a "wing" of the democrats, but it's a misleading claim.

I think you'd find that most libertarians support the tea party agenda, but they're not Republicans and don't support large parts of the Republican agenda (war in Iraq, war on drugs, etc)

Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDolan View Post
Gambler, since you are now a BIG FAN of Bush, Cheney allowed massive NO BID contracts in Iraq with Halliburton. The same Halliburton that Cheney was a former head of.
For one thing, Halliburton was the only company that actually existed that COULD perform most of those tasks. Obama awarded them no-bid contracts to clean up the Gulf as well. Why enter a long bidding process when only one company is actually qualified to bid anyway? Are you one of these conspiracy theory guys?

Hell, if so, maybe we can start talking about the fact that BP gave more $$$ to Obama than ANY other politician over the last 20 years. Hmmmmm...

Quote:
If Bush was a Democrat ( as other posters have said), would you & Elford have been SILENT about Bush.
I joined this forum after Bush was out of office. If I was a member back then, I would have had plenty to say. I was not a Bush fan.

Quote:
Now without ZERO mandate, Bush from day one, Governed this country the way he & Dick Cheney wanted to. Attacked Iraq, racked up the highest deficit in US History( with the help of his then GOP House Majority & Senate Majority Leader), Gutted Wall Street Regulation, Gave the Biggest Tax cut in history the the wealthiest 1% of americans( which I doubt very much you & Elford are members of)
I don't think anyone was happy with the deficit under Bush. The attack on Iraq amassed great public support until the operation started going sour a couple years in - ironically, exactly what is going on now with Obama and Afghanistan.

Wall Street regulation was not "gutted" under Bush at all. In fact, the crisis in 2008 was based on a mortgage crisis that had to do with the left-wing Democrats GUTTING banking policy that ensured that only qualified people could get loans. Why? Well, for one thing, to help their poor, unqualified voter base be able to buy homes that they couldn't afford in the name of "diversity." Funny thing was - Sen. John McCain was one of the very few legislators who really went after this practice when it was proposed by Barney Franks and company - too bad he was unsuccessful in stopping the Democrats from wreaking havoc on the marketplace.

Quote:
Now this guy Obama comes into power. Wins by a MASSIVE LANDSLIDE! the Biggest Popular & Electoral Win in three Long Decades. In over 35 years!!! Has what we call in English language a MANDATE. A Huge Mandate.
Sorry, a 53% to 47% victory is not a landslide. And Reagan in the 1908s easily trounced Obama's victory by winning 49 out of 50 states. Furthermore, let's face it, Obama's win was based on a lot of obscure voting blocs who will probably never come out in similar numbers in another American election ever again. He's currently polling WORSE than GW Bush - this man has no mandate whatsoever, especially at this point.

Quote:
He ran under Healthcare Reform. He ran under Wall Street Financial Reform. He then WON BY A LANDSLIDE including the Very Same State that YOU LIVE in.
The funny thing is, during the election, if you did an issue-by-issue poll, people were against most of his policies. A small majority liked him personally, and then a bunch of blocs like college students and minorities came out to vote and pushed him over the top into office. I wouldn't go basing Obama's mandate on winning a majority in the state that has elected the likes of Bob Menendez, Frank Lautenberg and Bob Torricelli in federal office elections the past few years. Sorry, but New Jersey voters rarely get it right.

Quote:
The last time a Check, we are a democratic country. In a democratic country, the majority rules. The bigger the majority, the bigger the mandate for change.
But there WAS no mandate and IS no mandate. Obama narrowly won the Presidency, and Americans strongly disagree with him on essentially ALL of his key issues (save, possibly, some level Wall Street reform).

Quote:
Now Gambler, Have you ever heard of the PHRASE, " Elections have Consequences" ???? I hope you heard & understand what that means.
I certainly do. We're all paying the consequences right now, and we will be until 2012 unless the Democrat juggernaut is broken in Congress. This what happens under one-party rule. I wouldn't want Republicans to have the WH, House and Senate at once either.

Quote:
So why in heaven's name DO YOU KEEP FORCING YOUR AGENDA on Obama & this nation? Why are you so upset when Obama passed Healthcare, passed Wall Street Reform? He is not out to impress you.
So I don't have a right to speak out against policies that I disagree with? Why are YOU so upset about the many things you routinely get upset about on here?

Quote:
Amazing, the ones who DID NOT vote for Obama are lecturing & dictating to him how he should run this country.
Why not? Obama was a "community organizer" and lowly State Senator who was handed election victories on a silver platter before going to the U.S. Senate for a couple years and doing absolutely nothing there. He's our most inexperienced and unqualified President in the history of the Presidency. Somebody SHOULD step up and tell him how to run the country, because as of now, he's running it into the ground!

Quote:
A black man educates himself to be a Harvard Lawyer, A Columbia University alumnus. So many of The white males in the Morristown TP rally calling Obama names never step into a college campus in their entire lives. Their kids are on the same track as them.
He didn't "educate himself." He got a plethora of scholarships and preferences because of his race. Also, FWIW, what's wrong with someone not attending college? I did personally, as well as graduate school for a masters, but I know plenty of blue collar folks who are filthy rich, smart and influential, running their own businesses and helping their communities. What did Obama do besides collect degrees and cow-tow to the Chicago political machine?

Quote:
They now call this man condescending names ? ( instead of telling their sons & daughters how ANYTHING in america is possible if you study hard & get a good education. Even a black man can become president)
Yeah, just anybody apparently can become President. We're seeing how that turns out...

Quote:
Unreal !!! LOL!!! And you pat Hillary Clinton on the back ! LOL

Seriously now, If Hillary was President today, would you & Elford be singing kumbaya with her??? LOL
I never said I agree with the bulk of what Hillary says or proposes. But you're not gonna win 'em all. I can handle someone from the other side running the show, as long as he (or she) knows what they're doing.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:37 AM

72 posts, read 107,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
For one thing, Halliburton was the only company that actually existed that COULD perform most of those tasks. Obama awarded them no-bid contracts to clean up the Gulf as well. Why enter a long bidding process when only one company is actually qualified to bid anyway? Are you one of these conspiracy theory guys?

I don't think anyone was happy with the deficit under Bush. The attack on Iraq amassed great public support until the operation started going sour a couple years in - ironically, exactly what is going on now with Obama and Afghanistan.

Wall Street regulation was not "gutted" under Bush at all. In fact, the crisis in 2008 was based on a mortgage crisis that had to do with the left-wing Democrats GUTTING banking policy that ensured that only qualified people could get loans. Why? Well, for one thing, to help their poor, unqualified voter base be able to buy homes that they couldn't afford in the name of "diversity." Funny thing was - Sen. John McCain was one of the very few legislators who really went after this practice when it was proposed by Barney Franks and company - too bad he was unsuccessful in stopping the Democrats from wreaking havoc on the marketplace.

Sorry, a 53% to 47% victory is not a landslide. And Reagan in the 1908s easily trounced Obama's victory by winning 49 out of 50 states. Furthermore, let's face it, Obama's win was based on a lot of obscure voting blocs who will probably never come out in similar numbers in another American election ever again. He's currently polling WORSE than GW Bush - this man has no mandate whatsoever, especially at this point.

The funny thing is, during the election, if you did an issue-by-issue poll, people were against most of his policies. A small majority liked him personally, and then a bunch of blocs like college students and minorities came out to vote and pushed him over the top into office. I wouldn't go basing Obama's mandate on winning a majority in the state that has elected the likes of Bob Menendez, Frank Lautenberg and Bob Torricelli in federal office elections the past few years. Sorry, but New Jersey voters rarely get it right.

But there WAS no mandate and IS no mandate. Obama narrowly won the Presidency, and Americans strongly disagree with him on essentially ALL of his key issues (save, possibly, some level Wall Street reform).

I certainly do. We're all paying the consequences right now, and we will be until 2012 unless the Democrat juggernaut is broken in Congress. This what happens under one-party rule. I wouldn't want Republicans to have the WH, House and Senate at once either.

So I don't have a right to speak out against policies that I disagree with? Why are YOU so upset about the many things you routinely get upset about on here?

Why not? Obama was a "community organizer" and lowly State Senator who was handed election victories on a silver platter before going to the U.S. Senate for a couple years and doing absolutely nothing there. He's our most inexperienced and unqualified President in the history of the Presidency. Somebody SHOULD step up and tell him how to run the country, because as of now, he's running it into the ground!

He didn't "educate himself." He got a plethora of scholarships and preferences because of his race. Also, FWIW, what's wrong with someone not attending college? I did personally, as well as graduate school for a masters, but I know plenty of blue collar folks who are filthy rich, smart and influential, running their own businesses and helping their communities. What did Obama do besides collect degrees and cow-tow to the Chicago political machine?

Yeah, just anybody apparently can become President. We're seeing how that turns out...

I never said I agree with the bulk of what Hillary says or proposes. But you're not gonna win 'em all. I can handle someone from the other side running the show, as long as he (or she) knows what they're doing.
Gambler, I disagree with the other person here. You are not a Bush fan, you are a Rush Limbaugh fan. You must he 24/7 on his dial. lol

Listen, people like, one should not even attempt to reach because you are way way out of right field. It would literally be a waste of anyone's time.

I will say though a few points which will be absolutely useless anyway for the Rush Limbaugh believers. ( I just wish you found someone to idolize who was not A) A Drug addict, a high school dropout, A severely obese, overweight man , and on his THIRD MARRIAGE & counting with more to come. His not really a role model for american kids. In fact, he is frankly a poster boy for hypocrisy and america )

Imagining getting family advice on marriage, drug free family, staying in school, having good health from RUSH LIMBAUGH??? The sad part is there about 12 million White Men, overwhelmingly high school diploma holders, who believe every single word Rush preaches.

Hell, I'd go with the black kid with a single mom, who studied very hard, got into columbia, reached the pinnacle of Law school by getting into the best- HARVARD LAW SCHOOL, then, tops it off by getting the Most Difficult Prize of being Harvard Law Review Editor. ( the 1st black in history)

BTW, for anyone who is not familiar with Law School or who for some of these Rush Limbaugh, Tea party fans who never stepped into a College campus- some useful Info.... Getting to be the "EDITOR of your Law School" is one of the Most Difficult, if not the most difficult, the Most Prestigious Achievements any Law Student could ever accomplish. Basically everyone goes for it, then, Dean & the Entire faculty choose the BEST STUDENT.

It is not covered by some racial quota, some govt program. Its the Best of the best especially in harvard law school.

Lastly Gambler, No Matter how many times you whine, cry, *****- the black kid who worked his ass off to become President is Your President.

The community organizer you mock is still Your President.
He has achieved More in Life than you ever will. ( unless there is something I don't know about you that you'd like to share with all of us)

Think about, get that into your head, and bring it to the bank. lol

P.S. I have at least 3 clients in NJ CityData who are regular posters here. You've been to my office, my business, my entire staff. Two of you have been to my 2nd branch. You know what I'm all about. Its an open book. What I've built, my background, the 1,500 families in the last 11 years.

I worked closely with your families

I say this because, I want you to CLOSELY READ THE COMMENTS OF GAMBLER regarding President Obama.

>>He didn't "educate himself." He got a plethora of scholarships and preferences because of his race. <<

This is the type of comment that says everything about this person. His attitude. everything. This is the stuff you teach your children NOT to be when they become adults someday.

The very same people who get so angry & crazy when they see black people in the streets who are not educated or don't have jobs, who they label lazy- are the VERY SAME people who Mock, Cry, get Angry, when they DO SEE a Black Person like Barack Obama, Michelle Obama who DID MAKE IT DESPITE all the adversity .

A black,Latino, Jewish, or Asian person with ALL the credentials in the world, All the IVY, All the Business success WILL NEVER EVER be GOOD ENOUGH for the GAMBLER's of the world.

Its called " RACISM".

P.S. Gambler, if your claim to having a College & a Masters degree is true ??? --- Man, I could just imagine how IGNORANT you must have been before getting your college & masters degree- If you really have on

By th way Gambler, Affirmative Action does NOT cover becoming a Summa *** laude Nor a Magna CumLaude. Affirmative Action does NOT cover being chosen as Harvard Law Editor. LOL Its good to come across Jersey people like you. We dont have a lot of you in NJ in 2010.
Good luck with Rush! Case Closed. Move on ! Waste of Time.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 AM

31 posts, read 48,838 times
Holy moly! what have i done. ha ha ha! started this thread & end up starting a war.

hahahahah

All I will say is TheGambler---- You would fit right in with those TP's.

I could feel your anger. You need serious counseling ! hahahahah

And please- Obama's win was a Landslide electorally and with the popular.

You made it sound like some basketball game of 53-47. 3,4 percent is a BIG WIn! 6 % is a landslide.

Dont try to change history or the facts. Bush did a LOT of damage to our country. you make it sound like it happened in a one month span. If Clinton wasted all this money, you'd be going nuts.

Obama will have to make MAJOR MAJOR mistakes over 4 years to match the damage bush has done.

People like you & the TP started lambasting Bush by his 2nd month in office. Had the TP in full force in 6 months.

We were attacked in the worse attack ever on american soil under Bush. He was in office 9th months. We were attacked under an ALL GOP country.Bush, Pataki, Giuliani- ALL Republicans! You should keep mentioning as well.

Dude, have you ever heard of Legacy preference?How in the world did you think Bush got into Yale? Legacy has NO difference than Affirmative action.

belittling Obama's achievement in life as some racial favor is one of the most S _ _ P I D comments I have ever read on the New Jersey forum.

You think Obama played basketball all day & somehow became an Honor student ????? HA HA GEEZ!

You sure you aint from rural south?????

Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSLX View Post
P.S. Gambler, if your claim to having a College & a Masters degree is true ??? --- Man, I could just imagine how IGNORANT you must have been before getting your college & masters degree- If you really have on
Dude, OK, I'm heading out to the beach for the day... but I'll address all this before I go.

First off, that was some rant, especially for a Saturday! Indeed, I have an undergrad in Political Science and am currently finishing up my masters in Public Policy. Should be done in December.

I have been employed as a newspaper reporter, magazine writer/editor and have been involved in print and online magazine publishing. I have never held elected office, though I have served on a couple of boards and committees in my area. Does this qualify me to be President? Of course not. And it didn't qualify Barack Obama to be President, either.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM

And FWIW, I certainly do not blindly support Republicans a la Mr. Limbaugh. I absolutely abhor the Republican party in my county. It's filled with good ol' boys, nepotism, back room deals and a feeling of political invincibility that makes my skin crawl. The tea party in my county is currently harassing and protesting Rep. Jon Adler (Democrat), perhaps the most honest, caring and well-meaning politician I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Rep. Adler even voted against most of the Obama agenda and he's still getting picked on by these people. It's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies