Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM

720 posts, read 690,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Nothing is easy here in Washington DC where the federal government is the major enterprise I worked for them for 39 years and I can assure you that there are many feds who are primarily involved in what people are classified as and what they are to be called
*sigh*

so true.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have experienced the opposite, in some European countries at least. Germans and Swiss commonly state that blacks are not really Americans. I always correct them and try to explain that "American" is a nationality, not an ethnic or racial group. The notion of diversity, with a small d, perplexes them.
My grandmother was the daughter of German immigrants. Her parents considered blacks to be subhuman creatures, and they disowned her for marrying a black man. I can certainly believe they don’t recognize black people as being American. It’s my understanding they also believed we had tails. However, I’m not sure if that belief is still prevalent.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My grandmother was the daughter of German immigrants. Her parents considered blacks to be subhuman creatures, and they disowned her for marrying a black man. I can certainly believe they don’t recognize black people as being American. It’s my understanding they also believed we had tails. However, I’m not sure if that belief is still prevalent.
Well hold on now. I have never heard anybody there say such things about blacks. Plenty of bigots there, but more like Archie Bunker than Adolf Hitler.

Some are myopic and ignorant and don't understand America as much as they might think.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Well hold on now. I have never heard anybody there say such things about blacks. Plenty of bigots there, but more like Archie Bunker than Adolf Hitler.

Some are myopic and ignorant and don't understand America as much as they might think.
Yeah, there are some real racists out there....here is what one of them wrote on the message boards to this article...

White (http://www.bet.com/News/NewsArticleWhiteAfricanAmericanSuesSchool.htm - broken link)

Quote:
The term African American refers to those group of people who are BLACK(light brown to extremely dark skinned or Sinbad to Wesley Snipes)who when confronted by either racist police in amerikkka, or racist people in general, are looked at as BLACK. Historically white people will always take & then rename to suit themselves or their own selfish agendas, i.e. white people stole this land from the Native Americans, & call themselves white amerikkkans. In addition, white people stole Austraiiia from the Aborignies(BLACK PEOPLE), who were the indigenous or original people of that country, & call themselves Austrailians. Bottom line a white man is simply a white man, & he is not an African because his racist,diseased infested, homosexual,punk ass ascendants or ancestors enslaved BLACK PEOPLE FOR OVER 300 YEARS. Only BLACK PEOPLE & THOSE OF THE AFRICAN DIASPORA can claim true African Heritage, PERIOD!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:

Hopefully, that is no longer their belief, but it certainly was in the past. I’m sure I am not the only one to have heard this.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:09 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
What are African Americans called in other countries?

Americans, I would think.

Of course, some African societies refer to us as obruni (Ghana), toubab (Senegal) or oyinbo (Nigeria), same word for white stranger or stranger.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Yes I worked with a white, native Tunisian who immigrated to the US when he was a teenager and became a US citizen. We worked in the Federal Gov't system and he got quite upset when he was classified as an "African American"

As he should have been, considering that he wasn't African American........

Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,394 times
Quote:
I was listening to a discussion about "African Americans" and "white people" in the US regarding social issues. What are "African Americans" called when they are outside the US, especially when they have never been in or from the US. Are black people in Africa "African Americans" if they have never been outside of Africa? What about a black person from Africa who now lives in France? Is he an "African American"? I used to work with a native white, Tunisian gentleman who had immigrated to the US in his teens and became a citizen. He is a "white person" but isn't he also an "African American"? Late night discussion among friends... What do you think?
U.S. Nationals
U.S. American
U.S. Amerikaner
American
Estadounidense
etc etc etc....

Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
It's very simple.

I'm White. They are Black. We are both Americans.

But that simplicity doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said.

as long as we continue to divide people based on where their ancestors came from, we will never get over the many issues facing this country. and what do you do with people like me whos ancestors came from a variety of places? my ancestors were german, norweigen, french, irish, scot, hispanic, apache and/or cherokee. so am i am mongrel-american? no i am an american just like everyone else who was born here. i do not have a dual citizenship, just like the vast majority of black people do not have a dual citizenship since they were also born here, to parents that were born here. in reality only those with a dual citizenship can call themselves a hyphonated american. for instance goerge hw bush was knighted by the queen of england, and that bestows upon him british citizenship, thus he can call himself a british-american. or arnold shwartzenagger who did not have to renounce his austrian citizenship when he became an american citizen, thus he is rightly called an austrian-american.
A few years back, my cousin researched our family's history, and she found that our ancestry looks a lot like yous, only in my case it's Sioux, not Apache, and even my European ancestors came to North America in the 1600s. I'm not a mongrel either, and I do not care for all the people who love dividing us all up by class, race, skin color, ethnicity, religion etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies