Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 AM

85 posts, read 81,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The majority of people that get refunds do so because their withholding was larger than needed, so they get a refund of the excess. That doesn't mean they paid no tax. The people that pay no tax, do so because their income was too low to warrant it. I doubt that there are many people who like being in that bracket.

so what's 'too low'

btw my hubby earns 62k a year, and we get back MORE than what is deducted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,826,664 times
Quote:
The majority of people that get refunds do so because their withholding was larger than needed, so they get a refund of the excess. That doesn't mean they paid no tax.
Actually it DOES mean that they paid no federal income tax...if you paid in $1000 and get a 'refund' of $1000, you paid nothing...you could have however worked out to where you simply didn't pay in the first place but people don't do that it seems.
To add,some people actually receive more than they ever paid in,this would then put those people in a positive situation,they actually receive a 'gift' of money for simply being alive.

Quote:
The people that pay no tax, do so because their income was too low to warrant it. I doubt that there are many people who like being in that bracket.
If by earning more they then had to actually pay federal income taxes they might rethink this....

Again,depends what your goal in life is,to chase money or to live life.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,255,882 times
Quote:
The majority of people that get refunds do so because their withholding was larger than needed, so they get a refund of the excess. That doesn't mean they paid no tax. The people that pay no tax, do so because their income was too low to warrant it. I doubt that there are many people who like being in that bracket.
I think they benefit from things like the EIC....why would they not??

Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,627,700 times
I think that 47% is too low. IMHO the bottom 90% should not pay any Federal Tax. Let the rich that own the country and the politicians pay the maintainence.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,811,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
so what's 'too low'

btw my hubby earns 62k a year, and we get back MORE than what is deducted
Generally speaking, an income of $25k or less, will not have a bill. People above that may not have a bill, if the have justifiable deductions or losses or are even able to get away with scamming the system. But, I suspect your forum name belies you statement.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 1,529 times
Why do you all point at the poor when you talk about not paying taxes? I have seen conservatives on boards brag about all the money they make and pay no taxes on.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 AM

37,761 posts, read 40,870,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry2 View Post
“In 2009, roughly 47% of households, or 71 million, will not owe any federal income tax, according to estimates by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center.”

What is the reason for this? (not trying to be a smarta**, just curious)
I have to see how they define "owe." I never "owed" any income tax on April 15 because I had more withholding deducted from my paycheck throughout the year so I wouldn't owe any money on April 15. That doesn't mean I didn't pay any income tax.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway View Post
Why do you all point at the poor when you talk about not paying taxes? I have seen conservatives on boards brag about all the money they make and pay no taxes on.
Why do you think the 'poor' aren't conservative as well?

Actually more and more of the middle class are not paying any federal income tax due to the various and sundry credits offered.

If there was only some way to have children for tax purposes and no other time of the year it would be great...

Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 AM

6,082 posts, read 6,019,606 times
1st people were complaining about being "taxed to death", now some are complaining about not being taxed enough!

This type of logic is just as incoherent as the chants to keep the gubbermint's hands off my medicare/SS.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have to see how they define "owe." I never "owed" any income tax on April 15 because I had more withholding deducted from my paycheck throughout the year so I wouldn't owe any money on April 15. That doesn't mean I didn't pay any income tax.
If you paid in the same amount as your refund,you paid no federal income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies