Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:19 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I wore a "JFK For President" button to school in the 2nd grade. In one of the most conservative counties in the United States of America. Seven years old and I took flack for it. Registered to vote as a Democrat the day I started college and I was so proud I could bust.

I filled out my absentee ballot this morning and couldn't stand the policies of half the democrats on the ballot. I am seriously consideing becoming a Republican and I cannot tell you how much that hurts me. The party left me behind a very long time ago. I don't think JFK would recognize it today.
Does it really matter if you register republican or independent? You should vote for the candidates that most represent what you want and would take the country in the direction you think it should go. I don't lock step in line with the republican party and they often disappoint me, but they represent fiscal responsibility more than this bunch of nuts in the white house do, so I will vote for the people who will cut spending and secure our borders. I am not opposed to gay marriage and other typically liberal pet social issues, but I am very much opposed to the direction this administration is taking us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:21 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have always considered myself a moderate Democrat. I come froma long line of Dems, my parents voted for JFK back in the 1960s and as far as I know have never considered any other alternative as viable.

Despite the fact I "generally" go along with the Liberal mindset, I still keep a few non-lib things close to my heart....I support the death penalty, 2nd amendment rights and the idea that a man should WORK for his paycheck and that we should all be held accountable for what we do.

However, I am afraid that HR 875 and Senate Bill S 510 - the Food Safety Modernization Act, pretty much tears it for me. I always thought that George Bush was the worst president ever - but honest to God, I think that Mr. Obama just beat him hands down on this one.

I do not listen to Glen Beck, admittedly, but apparently he talked about this on his show. To be perfectly honest, I have not read the bill word for word myself, but I think I know enough about it to know that it greatly impacts America's freedom to feed itself. I am a farmer at heart and a homesteader in practice and the notion that someone is going to TELL ME what I can grow, and eat rankles BAD.. Real bad. Worse than this damned health care thing - which I did not like nor approve of to begin with either.

So, I am officially turning in my Lib card, effective immediately. No more bleeding heart. No more "social services for the needy". Nope. You can have a kind heart without giving away the farm. No more. I may not agree carte blanch with the entire mindset of the conservative Republican *yet*. But my thoughts are that if you line them up side by side, tit for tat, as it were, there is more than I agree with on the right than on the left.

Move over guys, you got a convert in your ranks now.

Please people WRITE TO YOUR SENATORS AND CONGRESSMENT about HR875 and S10. Tell them that we don't want it (or mandatory health care either).

20yrsinBranson
Now apply that same assessment to the many things over the course of many years to which are essentially the same thing, but you might have agreed with for various self interests.

This is the problem. It never stops with just that thing you agree with. Remember there are over 300 million people in the US roughly and each one has their own issue to which they agree with, but you may not. The result if everyone gets what they want?

Total loss of freedom.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Great honest post. Vote for people - not parties. And if all else fails, vote for the person that will do the least amount of damage to the country. We have no money - for the programs, for the vacations, for the health care, for the union giveaways - not even for the lackluster focus on defense.

Thanks for the encouragement another person is seeing the light about the government.

My mom thinks that all Republicans are bastards and are "for the rich". You know what? At least when Republicans are in power *I* have the same opportunity as anyone else to GET RICH. But with the current administration, everything just goes on and on and more and more money is taken out of my pocket, and more and more rules and regulations are being piled on top of me until I cannot breathe.

I sit there, in disbelief and say...... "Why is he doing this???? Why doesn't he stop it?????" And there are no answers to my cries.

I have been double-crossed and it hurts.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-10-2010, 04:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
I'm thinking of registering as a Republican as a symbolic protest. That's how seriously I disagree with the direction the Democratic party has taken.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
This administration is giving the Democrat party a bad name.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Now apply that same assessment to the many things over the course of many years to which are essentially the same thing, but you might have agreed with for various self interests.

This is the problem. It never stops with just that thing you agree with. Remember there are over 300 million people in the US roughly and each one has their own issue to which they agree with, but you may not. The result if everyone gets what they want?

Total loss of freedom.
I am not asking for much. Just a chance to live my life without a lot of interference from government. Just a chance to make my way, be as independent as possible and have enough money to survive.

It doesn't sound like those simple requests would be taking the rights away from anyone else.

The government wants to take away my right to care for myself by enacting a law that requires me to pay for health care (and you better believe they are going to be tracking who and who does not use it). Now they want to take away my right to choose what I want to grow and eat. With the Codex bill, they want to take away my right to use supplements and other health-related products to remain healthy and well. I'm really fed up with this mindset.

While it is true that not everyone can have EVERYTHING they want. We should be able to live long, happy healthy lives without bothering anyone else. That's really all I want. But it is becoming more impossible every single day.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-10-2010, 04:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
I understand your frustration. Those are horrible bills. There is plenty of blame to go around both Democrats and Republicans for those monstrosities

Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,805,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This administration is giving the Democrat party a bad name.
I couldn't agree more. Obama is so dead set on this whole "reaching across the isle" unity crap it's causing complete failure. Why he wants to be so buddy-buddy with the right is beyond me. Obama seriously needs to regroup and go to the core of democratic policies if he wants to get this country back in order. Right now he's just a watered down version of bush.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,945,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am not asking for much. Just a chance to live my life without a lot of interference from government. Just a chance to make my way, be as independent as possible and have enough money to survive.

It doesn't sound like those simple requests would be taking the rights away from anyone else.

The government wants to take away my right to care for myself by enacting a law that requires me to pay for health care (and you better believe they are going to be tracking who and who does not use it). Now they want to take away my right to choose what I want to grow and eat. With the Codex bill, they want to take away my right to use supplements and other health-related products to remain healthy and well. I'm really fed up with this mindset.

While it is true that not everyone can have EVERYTHING they want. We should be able to live long, happy healthy lives without bothering anyone else. That's really all I want. But it is becoming more impossible every single day.

20yrsinBranson
I am not disagreeing with you. What I am getting at is that we normally don't see that which does not concern us. So, we let things slide if it doesn't or if we have some personal interest in an outcome, we tend to let that decide rather than what actually is in the spirit of what you just explained.

It can be property right issues, discriminatory taxation, bans based on personal ideology, so on and so forth.

If we all look back through history, we can see issues where we may have sided with our self interest, where we were not concerned because it didn't have an effect on us, etc...

In the end though, it will always affect you. That is because once people start giving up a little to accommodate something, it never stops. There will always be a complaint, a crusade of ideology, a demand for action, etc... Meeting them all as I said, results in complete loss of freedoms.

We have to first be willing to remove all of these special laws to which are discriminatory, regulatory, etc... that target based on similar principals to which you make a complaint about with this current one.

When the government steps in to tell you how to do anything, its stepped too far. If we all recognize this and make efforts to protect against it, even when we may not agree with it, well... then the result of each and every little thing being eventually banned and dictated isn't such an issue.

That was really my only point.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:34 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,007,205 times
Summary of bill is found here.

Text of the bill is found here.

It sounds like it's trying to deal with e-coli and other toxic foods issues seen in recent years.

I'm tired of the Bush-era non-performance on food safety. I got sick on spinach that was tainted with e-coli. The Bush mis-administration response to tainted hamburger meat was to tell us to cook the crap out of it (LITERALLY!) so it's safe to eat. Wonderful. Now it's OUR fault if we get sick on tainted meat because we haven't burned it beyond recognition before gnawing on it. Swell.

Can the OP enlighten us as to what's the matter with the bill?

Keep you DEM card.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies