Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
How can you make a blanket statement without knowing the percentage we are talking about?

The main reason I want a flat tax rate is so the poor stop stealing from the wealthy's hard work. Please don't spout propaganda like this. Your ideas will drive the people and companies that actually create jobs to other countries. Why do you want the bottom 95% to get a free ride? Why can't they just work harder to make more money?
The % does not make a difference.

You still would be paying ALL the costs.

Just think of what gas would cost!!! IMO, over $200 a gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The % does not make a difference.

You still would be paying ALL the costs.

Just think of what gas would cost!!! IMO, over $200 a gallon.
Can you explain why? Maybe I am just slow today, but I don't understand where you are coming from.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
So you would pay all the costs on a loaf of bread???

From the land to grow the wheat to the seed...

All the harvest, the storage...

All the costs at the bakery....

All the fuel + all the costs of the trucking...

All the costs of the wrapper and wrapping...

All the storage...

All the costs for the store to handle and sell you the bread???

All the cost of the cart to take the bread to you car + the bag it is in?

You are NOT paying all this now.

These are write offs.
No write offs, for anybody. One flat rate. Tax code leads to abuse when you have "write offs" and "deductions".

One flat percentage, comes out of your check every week. Pays for the governments goods and services, everyone pays the same rate. Lowers the rate because you don't have all of the tax lawyers, and auditors going through line by line your returns.

And I'm not saying you tax bread, or storage, or anything like that. Income, tax the income, one flat percentage, for every American.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Can you explain why? Maybe I am just slow today, but I don't understand where you are coming from.
Just to drill a average oil well is about one million dollars a day.

When you figure in dry holes and bad luck....that would be passed onto YOU.

Now it is a write off.

When a business write off costs of doing business, that keeps prices low.

And remember businesses are consumers too.

Those costs would end up on your tab.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No write offs, for anybody. One flat rate. Tax code leads to abuse when you have "write offs" and "deductions".

One flat percentage, comes out of your check every week. Pays for the governments goods and services, everyone pays the same rate. Lowers the rate because you don't have all of the tax lawyers, and auditors going through line by line your returns.

And I'm not saying you tax bread, or storage, or anything like that. Income, tax the income, one flat percentage, for every American.
Still all the costs would be passed on to the consumer.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
hnsq - I am not spouting anyone's propaganda. I am presenting a tax proposal that I consider economically beneficial as well as fair. This high deductable would eliminate income taxes on the working and lower middle classes that actually produce the wealth of America and place the burden of operation the government on the upper 5% that manipulate the wealth created by the workers for the benefit of the owners. Many of the owner class do not work at all and never have.

I believe my tax proposal to be a fair system that actually rewards hard work and productivity and returns the cost of government to the people that own, but do not work foor, the production. I will NOT stop proposing this system.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Just to drill a average oil well is about one million dollars a day.

When you figure in dry holes and bad luck....that would be passed onto YOU.

Now it is a write off.

When a business write off costs of doing business, that keeps prices low.

And remember businesses are consumers too.

Those costs would end up on your tab.
But today's system is not sustainable...and I do believe those prices SHOULD be passed to the consumer. Businesses that are not viable on their own merit should not be in operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
hnsq - I am not spouting anyone's propaganda. I am presenting a tax proposal that I consider economically beneficial as well as fair. This high deductable would eliminate income taxes on the working and lower middle classes that actually produce the wealth of America and place the burden of operation the government on the upper 5% that manipulate the wealth created by the workers for the benefit of the owners. Many of the owner class do not work at all and never have.
What do you mean?? The wealthy already pay the majority of taxes in this country. It is the lowest incomes that pay no taxes. The owner class 'do not work at all and never have?' What world do you live in? The people I know who are wealthy work 80+ hour weeks. The wealthy did not come from nowhere. It came though hard work. The wealthy work harder than poorer people who expect to work a 40 hour week and somehow get rich.

Maybe if the bottom 95% worked as hard as the upper 5%, they wouldn't be in the bottom % of income.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
But today's system is not sustainable...and I do believe those prices SHOULD be passed to the consumer. Businesses that are not viable on their own merit should not be in operation.

What do you mean?? The wealthy already pay the majority of taxes in this country. It is the lowest incomes that pay no taxes. The owner class 'do not work at all and never have?' What world do you live in? The people I know who are wealthy work 80+ hour weeks. The wealthy did not come from nowhere. It came though hard work. The wealthy work harder than poorer people who expect to work a 40 hour week and somehow get rich.

Maybe if the bottom 95% worked as hard as the upper 5%, they wouldn't be in the bottom % of income.
And you are willing to pay it??

All of the costs from start to finish on each product and service???

I do not believe you could do it, and I know I could not.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
And you are willing to pay it??

All of the costs from start to finish on each product and service???

I do not believe you could do it, and I know I could not.
But driller - we can't afford the system we have. History has shown us this. Everyone (businesses, government, individuals) is going bankrupt. I might not be able to afford certain things with a flat tax rate. I will adjust. Maybe you are right - maybe oil is not an economically sustainable business without government writeoffs. In that case, it should not be in operation. That would be hard, but in the end, an unsustainable business should not be in business. If that means I have to ride my bike to work and that plastic grocery bags cease to exist, then so be it. I want a sustainable economy, not just one that makes my life easy.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
But driller - we can't afford the system we have. History has shown us this. Everyone (businesses, government, individuals) is going bankrupt. I might not be able to afford certain things with a flat tax rate. I will adjust. Maybe you are right - maybe oil is not an economically sustainable business without government writeoffs. In that case, it should not be in operation. That would be hard, but in the end, an unsustainable business should not be in business. If that means I have to ride my bike to work and that plastic grocery bags cease to exist, then so be it. I want a sustainable economy, not just one that makes my life easy.
Are you sure you would HAVE a job???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies