Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The money stops moving.....

To some degree that is happening now.

Obama is anti-business.

With the health care law and cap and trade still out there, along with the direction of the country, many business are not investing.

Of course, this would just be the tip of the iceberg compared to what it would be with no deductions.
Why does the money stop moving? Banks saving rates go up, already have since 2008. Went from 0% to just now over 5%. Banks have more money in savings, the credit loosens because they have more money to bet on.

Free market works again.

Why is it that people (mainly conservatives) think that the general public is the only way to inject money into the economy? BANKS are the best way to do that, because they have a vested financial interest in growth. The consumer only consumes, they don't grow anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
hnsq - I am not spouting anyone's propaganda. I am presenting a tax proposal that I consider economically beneficial as well as fair. This high deductable would eliminate income taxes on the working and lower middle classes that actually produce the wealth of America and place the burden of operation the government on the upper 5% that manipulate the wealth created by the workers for the benefit of the owners. Many of the owner class do not work at all and never have.
Who do you think the owners are, Greg?

Again... read the following article. It's a pretty basic explanation of how this works, but you'll get the idea:

"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from a 401k, pension fund, mutual fund, annuity, or whole life insurance policy is the owner class, en masse.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I'm for none. No deductions. No credits. No exemptions. And while I don't know what would be the correct percent, I support capping it.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm for none. No deductions. No credits. No exemptions. And while I don't know what would be the correct percent, I support capping it.
Capping its a bad idea. In times of national emergency, we need to be able to raise the taxes to extremely high levels.

During WWII, for instance, the tax rate on the top 5% of Americans, was well over 90%.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The flaw in your calculations is that there are other taxes paid currently not counted. Gasoline tax, cigarette taxes, and all sorts of hidden taxes. All of these taxes would go away..
Many of those taxes are from the state and local level not the federal level, however look at the amounts. Even if you were to take those into consideration you would still be sharply increasing the taxes on the poor and middle class.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Nope...I would LOVE to have the check book of the US...I would make many cuts.
From other threads I know we agree on this...

Major cuts to spending is absolutely the first step that needs to be taken.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is why unfortunately it will likely never be implemented. The middle class has lots of exemptions they can use to lower their tax liability.The poor pay little or none and the middle class up to the upper middle class pay around 8-10% roughly depending on the manner to which they file and manage their money.

It is the rich that pay much higher percentages even after deductions. They carry the largest burden of tax payment. Few are going to want to accept paying more taxes than they are in the lower incomes and are content to keep piling more on the rich to pick up the slack.

Problem is, this form of tax policy works into the favor of the politician and spurs corruption. As Madison said, politicians would then seek to appeal to the self interests of the majorities to oppress the minorities. Hence the rich always being a target for more taxes and the majorities being the middle to poor.

While it would initially be a hardship, equalizing this burden would result in less power of the politicians to leverage people against each other. Since all would have to carry the burden equally in taxation, fewer wasteful spending programs would result and over bloated government bureaucracy would not so easily go unnoticed.

As long as they can keep sticking a minority with the largest part of the bill, the people will keep voting for more and more government control and power in order to enforce their social programs.

I think a flat tax would be a nice wake up call to the country, letting them know how much bloat they have allowed and how much they have pushed off on to others in their desire to get a free ride. I think programs would be cut drastically by public demand if everyone had to pay for them equally.
Exactly! What we have now is not sustainable. Everyone SHOULD be seeing that by now.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...the end goal (in my mind) is a flat rate sales tax, however it is unrealistic to jump right to that. Any tax reform would be a gradual process...
I would agree, but ONLY if income tax were abolished. DO NOT add ANOTHER tax on top of what we already pay.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Many of those taxes are from the state and local level not the federal level, however look at the amounts. Even if you were to take those into consideration you would still be sharply increasing the taxes on the poor and middle class.
The federal government taxes every item I listed. They also have TONS of hidden taxes, on things like cars etc...

Of course you would increase taxes on the poor and middle class.. If you go from not paying taxes, to paying taxes, thats an increase. Why should they not pay taxes like the rest of society?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
I have always been for the progressive income tax structure we have had (with some adjustments) however I heard something the other day that might just change my mind.

There was a discussion of a national sales tax. (Called the Fair Tax)

Now my understanding of a sales tax is that it is the most regressive tax out there but this time there was a twist I had never heard (those that support FT may already know about this)

The guy was advocating a pre-bate where each person would receive a check at the start of the year equal to the tax rate times the top of the poverty level.

That basically means the poor would pay no effective tax rate, and the middle class would have mitigated rates and all other goods and services would be subject to the tax rate.

It would encourage savings and eliminate shenanigans by the congress and lobbyists. Plus it would cause every Americans to actually see what they were paying in taxes every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies