Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,373,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I consider myself very liberal and tolerant but also wary of religions. If a Christian denomination condoned whipping women for adultery and hanging teenage boys of homosexually, where beheadings and carnage was done in the name of God and where innocent Americans were murdered by its followers, would that religion even have a chance at building a church near the World Trade Center? I don't think so. Yet Islam, the most violent and backward of religions is given consideration. Doesn't make sense to me.
Islam is just younger. They're just in their Jihad (crusade) stage.

We've got at least three more of those, then an enlightenment period in about 200 years, maybe a little longer (things move faster today).

Of course by then, Christianity will just be what the Roman myths are now, and we'll all be scientologists and worship L Ron Hubbard as God, and Tom Cruise as his only begotten son, so that whosoever believeth in him, shall not perish, but have every lasting gayness.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,379,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Islam is just younger. They're just in their Jihad (crusade) stage.

We've got at least three more of those, then an enlightenment period in about 200 years, maybe a little longer (things move faster today).

Of course by then, Christianity will just be what the Roman myths are now, and we'll all be scientologists and worship L Ron Hubbard as God, and Tom Cruise as his only begotten son, so that whosoever believeth in him, shall not perish, but have every lasting gayness.

LOL
The world can not wait for Islam to mature; it is a dangerous and savage religion. When is Islamic leadership going to condemn their followers atrocities?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
The world can not wait for Islam to mature; it is a dangerous and savage religion. When is Islamic leadership going to condemn their followers atrocities?
A group of high-level Muslim leaders condemned the recent flare in violence against Iraqi Christians and said that there was no justification in Islam for the attacks.

The 17 prominent Muslims, joined by 19 Christian leaders, denounced the persecution of Iraqi Christians in their communiqué, released Wednesday at an interfaith conference hosted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, according to Episcopal News Service.

Prominent Muslims Criticize Attacks on Iraqi Christians (http://www.acommonword.com/en/a-common-word-in-the-news/14-general-news/18--prominent-muslims-criticize-attacks-on-iraqi-christians-.html - broken link)

Old 08-10-2010, 05:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,267,837 times
Quote:
I consider myself very liberal and tolerant but also wary of religions. If a Christian denomination condoned whipping women for adultery and hanging teenage boys of homosexually, where beheadings and carnage was done in the name of God and where innocent Americans were murdered by its followers, would that religion even have a chance at building a church near the World Trade Center? I don't think so. Yet Islam, the most violent and backward of religions is given consideration. Doesn't make sense to me.
Sounds llike you're describing crazy christers, too.
Evangelicals of all abrahamic religions are pretty much the same.
Christers in the US are trying to deny some people the right to marry, to have equal rights.

I see no real differences between any of the abrahamics.

Quote:
The world survived christers; it will survive this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Prominent Muslims Criticize Attacks on Iraqi Christians (http://www.acommonword.com/en/a-common-word-in-the-news/14-general-news/18--prominent-muslims-criticize-attacks-on-iraqi-christians-.html - broken link)
Under Sadaam there was, more or less, religious harmony and acceptance; at least, in comparison to now.
Think we may have changed the dynamic by attacking a sovereign nation because "they tried to kill my daddy" and "a holy war"?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Quote:

Well, good news! You're probably a left-leaning libertarian then because true liberals love Islam and are tolerant of nothing but their own bassakwards destructive and divisive anti-American leftist ideals.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 AM

88,504 posts, read 84,652,005 times
Quote:
There are more than half a million Muslims in New York City. When's the last time you saw them whipping adulterous women and hanging gay teenage boys? I'm sure the Post would have been all over that.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are more than half a million Muslims in New York City. When's the last time you saw them whipping adulterous women and hanging gay teenage boys? I'm sure the Post would have been all over that.
Don't go confusing things with the facts.

We can point out to psychotic Christian acts too, and blame the whole religion for the acts of a few.

Pot, meet kettle

Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I'm just curious here. Those of you who thrive on expounding about these violent and brutal things that Muslims do--do you just not speak to your Muslim coworkers or neighbors or Muslims that you meet in the course of business or who cross your life in general because you believe that they are this way? How do you act around them?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,379,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm just curious here. Those of you who thrive on expounding about these violent and brutal things that Muslims do--do you just not speak to your Muslim coworkers or neighbors or Muslims that you meet in the course of business or who cross your life in general because you believe that they are this way? How do you act around them?
I am not by any means suggesting that all Muslims are barbaric. As a Catholic, I am ashamed and at times appalled by my own religion. But a good example of how Christians are dealt with is the sexual abuse of children by priests. The media rightly so went after the Catholic hierarchy and even the pope has publicly apologized to the world for these crimes against innocent kids. I don't know the structure of Islam that well and assume that there is no pope or archbishop like we have in Christianity who can be held accountable. But it is interesting that the atrocities Christians have been involved in over the centuries are often publicly denounced by fellow Christians. I recently read where Lutherans have asked forgiveness of "anti-baptists" [another term for Baptists] and Moravians for the massacre of these people during the 1600's\ 1700's. Evidently Lutherans thought these other Christians were not "real" Christians and murdered them. Christians look back at their history with many regrets and are held to a fairly high standard today.

Muslims are doing the things that were common during the Middle-Ages. Who in the 21st century beheads people for being "infidels"? Muslims attack fellow Muslims over minor differences in their religion. And by "attack" I am referring to prolonged torture and then death. What kind of person does that to fellow citizens\ faithful? Where is the outrage among Muslims over these savage actions? [bombings of innocent people in marketplaces, stoning people to death for adultery, murdering thousands in order to have a place in heaven with 70 virgins, blaming girls for being the victim of rape and actually murdering their daughters\ sisters for the action of a male rapist]. The list of senseless and ignorant acts against humankind is endless with the Islamic faith.

Muslims should be held accountable for their followers just like Christians are. Some African Christians support the death penalty for homosexuality and are heavily criticized and publicly denounced by other Christians worldwide as well as most governments. When is the world going to stand up and confront the most vicious and criminal region on the face of the earth?: Islam

Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I am not by any means suggesting that all Muslims are barbaric. As a Catholic, I am ashamed and at times appalled by my own religion. But a good example of how Christians are dealt with is the sexual abuse of children by priests. The media rightly so went after the Catholic hierarchy and even the pope has publicly apologized to the world for these crimes against innocent kids. I don't know the structure of Islam that well and assume that there is no pope or archbishop like we have in Christianity who can be held accountable. But it is interesting that the atrocities Christians have been involved in over the centuries are often publicly denounced by fellow Christians. I recently read where Lutherans have asked forgiveness of "anti-baptists" [another term for Baptists] and Moravians for the massacre of these people during the 1600's\ 1700's. Evidently Lutherans thought these other Christians were not "real" Christians and murdered them. Christians look back at their history with many regrets and are held to a fairly high standard today.

Muslims are doing the things that were common during the Middle-Ages. Who in the 21st century beheads people for being "infidels"? Muslims attack fellow Muslims over minor differences in their religion. And by "attack" I am referring to prolonged torture and then death. What kind of person does that to fellow citizens\ faithful? Where is the outrage among Muslims over these savage actions? [bombings of innocent people in marketplaces, stoning people to death for adultery, murdering thousands in order to have a place in heaven with 70 virgins, blaming girls for being the victim of rape and actually murdering their daughters\ sisters for the action of a male rapist]. The list of senseless and ignorant acts against humankind is endless with the Islamic faith.

Muslims should be held accountable for their followers just like Christians are. Some African Christians support the death penalty for homosexuality and are heavily criticized and publicly denounced by other Christians worldwide as well as most governments. When is the world going to stand up and confront the most vicious and criminal region on the face of the earth?: Islam
Not to be picky, just informational: I think you meant "Anabaptists". They were persecuted by both Catholics and Protestants at the time.

I don't get, however, why so many people repeat over and over that Muslims don't condemn or act against other Muslims who use their religion to practice horrific violence. I've posted links here repeatedly that demonstrate otherwise and so have other posters. Yet, you and others apparently don't read them, and then just ask the same question or make the same statement again.

Sometimes we have to learn to let go of things we strongly believe to be true and explore the possibility that they may not be.

Bottom line: There is no black and white in any religion or culture. There is no "they".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies