Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will host the 2012 DNC?
Cleveland, OH 11 32.35%
St. Louis, MO 7 20.59%
Charlotte, NC 7 20.59%
Minneapolis, MN 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

I'd go for Charlotte since North Carolina is showing signs of becoming a "blue" state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 05:33 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Here's some important info --

2008 Electoral votes:

Ohio: 20
North Carolina: 15
Missouri: 11
Minnesota: 10

Odds are, NC will get at least 1 more by 2012 and Ohio may get 1 less. I'd say don't underestimate state electoral votes in this decision.

Another fun fact -- Ohio has elected 16 of the last 17 presidents (picked Nixon over Kennedy in 1960).

I would say it's between Charlotte and Cleveland since they are both big swing states. Charlotte has traditionally leaned red, expect this past election, and what better time to keep the momentum shifted than hosting a DNC in that state. Ohio is important for obvious swing state reasons and the most votes.

I think Minneapolis is out since they hosted the 2008 RNC; however, it does show they can host one.

I see St. Louis as the dark horse, since it doesn't stand out in any major category.
The Democrats have a better chance of winning Ohio than they do North Carolina and it has more electoral votes. The City of Cleveland could use the economic shot in the arm more than Charlotte. Obama needs to win in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Illinois to keep the White House in 2012.

My bet is Cleveland

Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
It should be Detroit since they are trying their best to make the whole country resemble it economically.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Four cities have been selected as finalists to host the Democratic National Convention: Cleveland, St. Louis, Charlotte, and Minneapolis:

Democratic Convention 2012: DNC Planners Consider Four Cities

Which city do you think will be selected and why? Is it:

The state it is in/electoral votes?? The city amenities?? Favoritism?
Chicago, 0bama has more favors he owes.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'd go for Charlotte since North Carolina is showing signs of becoming a "blue" state.
Only because of the influx of liberals from the Northeast. They've been taxed out of their home states and are moving south in droves thanks to tax and spend liberal policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Chicago, 0bama has more favors he owes.
God, no. We don't want him. Not only that, but they took FOREVER to reimburse the city for the clean-up after his election party. No thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It should be Detroit since they are trying their best to make the whole country resemble it economically.
Nailed!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Only because of the influx of liberals from the Northeast. They've been taxed out of their home states and are moving south in droves thanks to tax and spend liberal policies.
So? That doesn't refute what I said: North Carolina is showing signs of becoming a blue state. Maybe you think the new residents of North Carolina shouldn't be allowed to vote?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
0bama is all about glitz, Greek collumns and glamor, he won't be having it in a run down city like Detroit.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:53 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So? That doesn't refute what I said: North Carolina is showing signs of becoming a blue state. Maybe you think the new residents of North Carolina shouldn't be allowed to vote?
Personally, I don't care where they have their convention. I was merely stating why NC is becoming a swing state. You can't deny that the huge exodus of people leaving the high tax states isn't having an effect on the political leanings of states like NC.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:51 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Personally, I don't care where they have their convention. I was merely stating why NC is becoming a swing state. You can't deny that the huge exodus of people leaving the high tax states isn't having an effect on the political leanings of states like NC.
Thanks for saying what i feel, ask me if i care! i don't give a hoot where the Dems have their convention.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:59 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It will either be Minneapolis or St. Louis. Many political favors to reward and gather at both cities. Both liberal Progressive strongholds. Corrupt Claire McCaskill will be up for re-election and she is wearing out her kneepads for Obama's agenda.
Of the two, I'll go with Minneapolis. I checked the date. It's Sept. 3. I'd go with the cooler temperature place since people will be walking around to go to restaurants and the like. Not sure about St Louis but not far from there in TN we have temps in the upper 90s that time of year. I would say Charlotte is definitely a no-go.

Oh, and the reason NC is turning blue is because of a great influx of people from the Northeast and people from Florida (originally from the northeast), moving there). They bring their lib ways with them not realizing that the reason NC is/was affordable was because it was conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies