Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

We don't need to raise the retirement age, we simply need to stop sending SS checks to people who do not have the need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Nobody is keeping people from working into their 70s or even 80s, as long as they themselves WANT to do that and don't work in jobs that require the physical and mental strength of a young person, for instance in air traffic control
But nobody should be forced to work into their 70s. Let's face it, quite a number of people can't even work in their 60s anymore. Those things should be handled on an individual basis, not along general age limits.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLA-P View Post
Wow just reading through this you see how many ignorant hardliners there are out there figuring one day they willbe mega-rich and that they will never need any of this countries social safet-nets. Some of you will be ok the majority of you are going to need the assistance.

Ignorance Ignorance Ignorance.

No, they won't cuz there are 17 old men who are still working past the age of 90, silly goose.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 AM

66 posts, read 39,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
We don't need to raise the retirement age, we simply need to stop sending SS checks to people who do not have the need.
then dont talk about raising the cap, so the rich can pay more (and get more)
in fact let those who dont need, not pay into it at all

Old 08-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
then dont talk about raising the cap, so the rich can pay more (and get more)
in fact let those who dont need, not pay into it at all
Problem is, younger workers never believe they will have the need.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Yep, similar to health insurance and other insurances.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 AM

66 posts, read 39,223 times
Quote:
what does that mean???

you said "We don't need to raise the retirement age, we simply need to stop sending SS checks to people who do not have the need"

so you are saying dont send it to those who dont need, but then say the young dont know

I assume (i know, what they say about assume) that you mean the rich. that's why I say let the rich not pay into the system, that you dont want them taking out of

Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE MY HARLEY View Post
what does that mean???

you said "We don't need to raise the retirement age, we simply need to stop sending SS checks to people who do not have the need"

so you are saying dont send it to those who dont need, but then say the young dont know

I assume (i know, what they say about assume) that you mean the rich. that's why I say let the rich not pay into the system, that you dont want them taking out of
When someone is 30 yrs old, they very often believe they will work and earn and retire early, very wealthy. It is a very common optimism and hopefully will come true. The facts are, people have no way of knowing that their efforts will result in that and most often, do not. People can be very rich when they are 30, but when they are 65, will they be? Hopefully, but not necessarily.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
You want SS to be just another welfare handout program? Deny those who paid in for many years all their money?

If that's the case, just scrap the whole program. Let those who won't save up for their retirement live on the other welfare programs. There is already a whole lot of duplication of welfare programs - save money and combine them into one.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You want SS to be just another welfare handout program? Deny those who paid in for many years all their money?

If that's the case, just scrap the whole program. Let those who won't save up for their retirement live on the other welfare programs. There is already a whole lot of duplication of welfare programs - save money and combine them into one.
I guess the purpose of all such programs is a certain amount of redistribution of funds. I mean, if the purpose were to pay everybody back what they have paid into the system, people might as well put their money in a savings account or under the pillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies