Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times

Advertisements

Man without health care sues state over $2G fine - BostonHerald.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
What that man doesn't understand is that if he gets in an accident or suddenly falls ill(like if he has a stroke) and he has no health insurance,who pays for his massive medical bills? In no way can he pay 450,000 out of pocket for a hospital stay of 2 weeks. I find that opponents of the Mass. forced health insurance often neglect that part. Does he know that if he doesn't pay or can't the hospitals have to absorb the bill,the hospital. Would then ask the state for funds to cover the uninsured,and then what? Taxes get raised,or even worse,the hospital closes.

You do not have the freedom to not pay your hospital bills. Or if he is an accident maybe they should send him home. If you don't pay your car mechanic,you don't get your car back. i

Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 AM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What that man doesn't understand is that if he gets in an accident or suddenly falls ill(like if he has a stroke) and he has no health insurance,who pays for his massive medical bills? In no way can he pay 450,000 out of pocket for a hospital stay of 2 weeks. I find that opponents of the Mass. forced health insurance often neglect that part. Does he know that if he doesn't pay or can't the hospitals have to absorb the bill,the hospital. Would then ask the state for funds to cover the uninsured,and then what? Taxes get raised,or even worse,the hospital closes.

You do not have the freedom to not pay your hospital bills. Or if he is an accident maybe they should send him home. If you don't pay your car mechanic,you don't get your car back. i
I have yet to hear of anyone forced to own a car.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:30 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:

That's a big "if" there, jerseygal. In the meantime, he has actual bills to pay.

Sounds to me like you'd rather he lose his home than go without insurance for a while. What does that say about you?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
This guy is going to be paying a lot more than $2k on an attorney.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Its a big if. If he loses his home,well. He should have thought about that before he bought a house. Too many people think of health insurance as just a thing they will need and not an actual. Thing they must have. I wonder if he has car insurance,since its an "if" he gets in a car accident. Or if he has home insurance.
Its clear to me he values his home and /or car more than his health. So as I said,if he gets sick with let's say,a sinus infection, and he can't afford to see a primary care physician, then his next move more than likely will be the ER. Which of course costs money.

I'm starting to believe hospitals should turn the uninsured away. In the example I provided about the car,as I said if you don't pay the machanic,you don't get the car back. But yet you want doctors to treat people for free. Doctors have a hard time getting paid because people feel they are entilted to be treated for free.
Personal responsibilty.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Its a big if. If he loses his home,well. He should have thought about that before he bought a house. Too many people think of health insurance as just a thing they will need and not an actual. Thing they must have. I wonder if he has car insurance,since its an "if" he gets in a car accident. Or if he has home insurance.
Its clear to me he values his home and /or car more than his health. So as I said,if he gets sick with let's say,a sinus infection, and he can't afford to see a primary care physician, then his next move more than likely will be the ER. Which of course costs money.

I'm starting to believe hospitals should turn the uninsured away. In the example I provided about the car,as I said if you don't pay the machanic,you don't get the car back. But yet you want doctors to treat people for free. Doctors have a hard time getting paid because people feel they are entilted to be treated for free.
Personal responsibilty.
I see in your profile that you're an RN. You see the kinds of things you're describing every day, I'm guessing.

Try to climb out of your own personal world for a moment and look at the situation from a perspective other than that of someone that works in your industry.

Not everyone gets into an accident or suffers some other major trauma every day. It's actually quite uncommon. I haven't been to a doctor in years, and the last several times I went, it was for routine preventative care. I have, however, been paying for rent, utilities, food and car payments every month. Those are things that are actually used every month, if not every day. Health care? Nope.

Maybe you didn't read the article, but this guy's in his 20s. He's got a pretty low risk of developing cancer or some other catastrophic illness between now and when he can afford insurance, or until his wife finds a job that provides them both coverage. Did you read the article? Do you actually know what his situation is? Or are you just taking the cynical position of a nurse that sees it every day, and discussing the topic based only on the headline?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:

How is this any different than individuals who dont go to work, and ask the governmet to pay for their own housing, their own food, and medicaid insurance?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:

wow your a person trained to save lives but would rather watch him die in front of you in the ER because he is poor even though you could save his life.

what does that say about you?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
A preview of events soon to come brought to you by Obamacare..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies