Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:35 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
cause nothing makes a person more productive than working them to exhaustion and then working them some more, then paying them virtually nothing for it.......right?
No, but the number of holidays has to be sensible.

Again, saying that the Americans have too much time off is like saying that the Greeks have no holidays at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I did not read this entire thread so if some eles said this I apologize.

IMO, I would like to see federal election day be a holiday.

Maybe it would create some interest.

I make sure everyone working with me gets time to vote.

Still I know it can be a hardship on some having time.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm surprised there's 3 full pages of "troll food" for the OP's post.
Damn it "man". You beat me to it. I was going to say... "I smell the faint scent of "troll".

Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
i think the obamanator should declare 4 weeks of gladiator games for the whole darn country, we sure have enough stadiums in this mighty sport hungry country. he could have the dems against the crats in an all out one month bloody battle in the arenas. i can see it now free beer and wine to all, what a festive celebration of triumph and defeat..chariots with sarah palin vs nancy pelosi. with weapons of choice.!!archery and , sword fighting. crossbow,jousting, catapulting for congressmen and congresswomen competion.. let the games begin..

i think we need more holidays

Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Americans have more holidays than any other nation! This cuts down on production and makes the workers lazy.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to reduce the number of holidays? Let's say, 4 holidays per year are more than enough. I propose that we should eliminate Labor Day. Instead, it should be Executives Day - a day when corporate big wigs can have the day off.
Also, vacation time can be reduced to one week per year. That is plenty.
Where are you getting your info from?

I don't always trust study results, but I have seen some that were focused specifically on the amount of overtime hours, holidays taken by a nations workers pitched against levels of productivity and general sense of well being. In this scenario, the US, England and Japan took a nosedive. France and Germany I think came out on top for most amount of holidays as well as higher productivity on the job.

Americans waste a lot of hours at work browsing Facebook and bitc*in by the water cooler. It's almost like a subculture. I've seen it and I hate it. Workers are often paid for 8 hours while in reality they do 4 (especially in some office environments).

I take issue with the stats you may have found.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I thought we are a country that is suppose to value family values? Vacations and days off do more for families than stepping up productive would. Life is about more than just making money.
Sorry, but that is no longer true in America. Life is ONLY about making money, every minute from birth MUST be directed towards survival and that's "making money".

Americans no longer can afford to "work to live"...they must "live to work".

You even see people who WANT the retirement age moved UP! What does that mean but "work 'til ya drop" ?

I have seen a poster in CD declare that children should have to EARN their elementary education!!!!!

So, with some Americans thinking "work from cradle to grave is good for America " , family is just a working unit and NOTHING more.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Leisure time, up to 24/7/365, is the primary perk of being really, really rich. True wealth demands that everyone without wealth must work to support the wealth and to never threaten the exclusivity that comes with wealth.

The German’s are not stupid. They have studied the effect of long vacations on industrial (note – Germany has not let their industry be outsourced) productivity and production costs and have reached the optimum balance between production and leisure.

The United States, along with Thatcher’s England, still uses work, along with money, to separate the wealthy from the workers. As the shift in wealth distribution in the last four decades has been away from the workers to the owners the need for working more and more hours has kept American labor too tired to do an optimal job or keep a family together. We have lost the one income family into the fight for class separation as well as the fight for more short term profit.

These policies are detrimental to our country and our society. We need to pay workers more and give them more time to recover from the stress of keeping up with the robots on the line or in the office. The increased wages and down time will increase overall productivity and production enough to pay for the wages and time with some left over for increased profits.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:38 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
The op is playing devil's advocate, he really doesn't mean it.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:40 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seriously why do folks seem incapable of checking even the easiest of facts before posting a thread or comment?

Well that was the most patently absurd comment made so far today.

http://www.totallyexpat.memberlodge....risontable.pdf
One of the rare cases where you and I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm surprised there's 3 full pages of "troll food" for the OP's post.
Ya, I knew it was "troll food" even though I posted agreeing with another poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies