Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:08 AM

720 posts, read 691,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
I didn't know ahmedinejad has a city data account! Welcome to CD, Mahmud. Please read our terms of service regarding nuclear proliferation, 9/11 denial, holocaust denial, arming terrorists, religious persecution, and stoning women.
No chit eh? Welcome to CD, scooby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The Iranian people are peaceful. The American people are not.
Neither the Iranian people nor the American people are truly represented by their respective governments. I believe the majority of Iranians AND Americans are peaceful, but both their governments are definitely not. We commoners are simply their pawns, there to be manipulated and sacrificed by our respective elite for their personal benefit.

I've had the pleasure of knowing several Iranians here in the US from work and back when I was in college. I'm left with a positive impression of them and I can say without a doubt that Iranians are by and large good people. Also Iran is the proud keeper of thousands of years of history, tradition and culture. It would be nothing short of a disaster to see that land looted and gutted by war. The entire human race would loose something far more valuable than oil or wacky political ideas.

Not that any of that will stop the comming war... It's just wrong, in so many ways.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
I don't see what the big deal is. They have believed since we invaded Iraq that we were going to war with them. So, they use propaganda.

See this?

Quote:
President Ahmadinejad: Russia had voted in favor of resolutions already passed against Iran. It's nothing new. There are different viewpoints in Russia today. What Mr. President says is in blatant contravention of Russia's interests. It's kind of echoing what the U.S. says. They had participated in drafting resolutions against us before. They told us that they guaranteed that no serious problem would arise. But recently some remarks made by the Russian president are encouraging the U.S. and giving it the green light to pressure Iran. These remarks are in fact sacrificing the interests of the Russian nation in favor of the U.S. And it is more to the detriment of Russia than to the detriment of us.
tehran times : Iran ready for cooperation on nuclear issue: Ahmadinejad

The problem is that Russia won't maintain this stance. It isn't in Russia's interest to do so. It is currently in Russia's interest to side with the US.....sorta.

Quote:
In the face of rising tensions, the energy ministers of the two countries met earlier this month with energy-hungry Iran winning a pledge from Moscow to supply fuel, despite unilateral US and EU sanctions targeting its energy sector. Moscow is helping Tehran to build its first nuclear power station in Bushehr in a much-delayed project due to come online this summer
gulfnews : Russia condemns EU sanctions against Iran

Quote:
In 2009, China became Iran's premier trading partner, with bilateral trade worth 21.2 billion dollars against 14.4 billion dollars three years earlier.
Commercial ties between the two countries were almost non-existent 15 years ago, amounting to just 400 million dollars.
According to official data, Western sanctions opened the way for Chinese companies, which last year directly supplied Iran with 13 percent (7.9 billion dollars) of its imports
AFP: China invests $40 bln in Iran oil, gas: minister

I'd worry less about ditches and more about what is really going on.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
We need to be on guard but I think if we wait it out the Iranian people will take care of Azermajanhjihadistanian themselves.

With the advent of cell phones, wireless internet, 24 hour news cycle, etc.. it's near impossible to keep your citizens in the dark these days. I'm hoping that the inability of the Iranian govt. to prevent information getting to their people will lead to their downfall.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
who says we have to put boots on the ground we could just do airstikes and drone attacks on military targets and take out there nuclear facilities.

and the iranian people want their current govronment gone anyways so they could overthrow them. saudai's have already said they would clear air space and look the other way if we or isreal did that.
pretty much no one in the middle east wants a nuclear Iran and no one in the west wants that either so atleast on this we can kinda work together for once.
You're right. It would be strictly done from the air.

The mullahs have been sounding off like this and putting their "advanced" weapons on display for many years. Their huffing and puffing simply reveals how damn scared they are that the US may decide to seriously consider a strike. In fact, if they truly believed that there is a serious chance the US will take miliary action, their nuke program would come to a screeching halt. That credible threat is the only thing that will stop them. It worked in 2003-2004 shortly after the start of the Iraq war because they thought they would next.

The worst scenario is a nuclear-armed Islamic Republic of Iran. It will permanently change the map of the world and likely lead to nuclear war.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I do not believe that the people of Iran are America's enemy at all. All they want to be is free of the religious dictatorship that controls their country.
you know i'd like to believe that.

but i also believe the saying, that people deserve whatever government they get.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

but i also believe the saying, that people deserve whatever government they get.
You should tell that to my grandma, who was teenage girl in Denmark when the Nazis "appropriated" her country. The results would make an awesome Youtube video.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
ODanny thinks a people that would stone a beautiful young woman to death is a peaceful people. I think ODanny should become an expat and move there as I don't know how he can stand living here.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you know i'd like to believe that.

In this case it was the people of Iran who chose to overthrow the Shah and bring an Islamic government to power. I'm sure they didn't know 30 years later this would be the result

Judging from last years riots and attempted elections they are trying to adjust.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Default Easy way to get around this... don't attack

Mind our own business.
We have problems at home that we need to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies