Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
Thank you for your reply.

Here's why I still don't understand your reasoning:

Capitalism is an economic theory and system, "the left" is a denomination from political theories/systems. It seems difficult to impossible to me to equate those two terms on a basic level.

All business is not capitalism, capitalism is merely a form of business.

Capitalism at its simplest is maximizing profits and shareholder value. How can political leanings of capitalist ventures give the economic theory a bad name if they still obtain that goal and thus satisfy the demands of said theory?

If by your post you mean that you find it disgusting how companies perceived as left-leaning take influence on the media, I agree with you. The media should be independent, the fourth branch of government, and keep the people informed.

But sadly, you'd need a non-profit oriented news organization for that task, and nowadays, no such thing persists. Neutral political/economic news don't bring in viewers, shocking human-interest stories and blown up scandals do.

The media of today is capitalized and profit-interested. It stands to reason that the companies owning the media outlets try to slant the news in hopes of influencing viewers, pubic opinion and accordingly political decisions in their favor. This is an imperative outcome of capitalistic theory, and has nothing to do with actual left/right ideology insofar as every news organization goes with the ideology they think will maximize their profits.

You just have to accept that in today's world, you simply cannot have unbiased news. I don't know much about the actual political influences oon media in the US, but as I gather, Fox is extreme right, NBC is left, and the others are somewhere in the middle, leaning to the left.

You just have to take that into consideration while watching the "neutral, unbiased, balanced" "news" on the respective channels.
Can you give an example of FOX NEWS being extreme right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:41 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Which part? The News part or the Commentary parts (serious question)?

Still, any example anyone may give will be seen differently by different people according to their only personal biases. Probably a question that won't end well...

Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 AM

338 posts, read 310,645 times
Quote:

I'm sure that there are plenty:

Let me google that for you

But no need to get agitated, the point of my post wasn't to expressively attack Fox.

Interesting nonetheless that the perceived attack on this (presumably your favorite) network is what's riling you up, and not the general bias in all media.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Confirmed: GE CEO Immelt Scolded NBC Journalists For Reporting Negatively on Obama (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/08/confirmed-ge-chief-immelt-scolded-nbc-reporters-for-reporting-negatively-on-obama/ - broken link)
Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 6:55 PM

Just can't handle the fair and balanced?

Maybe time for some new light bulbs?

Maybe some Cap and Trade?
I guess you've never heard of the Akre's case?

Here's the deal: ALL 'news' in the US is slanted towards corporate interests; at least what is defined as 'Mainstream Media.'

Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Anyone who thinks MSNBC goes easy on President Obama clearly never watches it. Dylan Ratigan, Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow constantly call him on the carpet.

Jill, the deeper point here is that GE is controlling content on NBC new sites. Pushing a far left agenda that will make GE lots of money.

Where MSNBC is hard on Bammer, it is related to Bammers not doing things that will financially benefit MSNBC’s parent company General Electric.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
The media is suppose to be the people's watch dog not ignoring really what is happening in this country. Shame on them for all of the lame reporting going on. It's the liberal left capitalist who are the crooks but their followers can't see they are what gives capitalism a bad name.
They have become the GUARD DOGS for Obama, instead.

YouTube - ‪Chris Matthews: I Will Help Obama, My Leg Still Tingles‬‎

YouTube - ‪Harry Smith Can't Resist Asking Barack Obama Softball Questions About His Dog Bo & Golfing‬‎

YouTube - ‪Obama Talks Being 'Surprised', 'Troubled', 'Enchanted', 'Humbled'‬‎

Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
IF this is true, and I have my doubts, it says more about NBC than the Obama adminstration, does it not?
I see 0bama and Immelt scratching each other's backs.

Video - Confirmed: GE Chief Immelt Scolded NBC Reporters For Reporting*... - White House

Immelt Named To Obama's New Economic Advisory Board

GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt says Obama's stimulus plan will work

Obama spotlights GE’s wind partners on Earth Day

GE To Make BILLIONS From Obama Cap and Trade Scheme

Obama Plans More Than $200 Billion in Clean-Energy Spending

GE works closely with key authors of the Waxman-Markey energy bill

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
I'm sure that there are plenty:

Let me google that for you

But no need to get agitated, the point of my post wasn't to expressively attack Fox.

Interesting nonetheless that the perceived attack on this (presumably your favorite) network is what's riling you up, and not the general bias in all media.
All I saw was opinions.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:03 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Here's the reality.

As you can see, Fox didn't deny they were distorting the news for financial reasons, they claimed they had a right to do so.

And, although this 'thinking' had been shot down by numerous courts before, this court in Fla agreed that, yes, Fox could lie for their business interests.

What is not shown here is that every major 'news' outlet- including MSNBC- wrote amicus curae briefs in favor of Fox's right to lie.

Why? Because they also are corporate entities, and they wanted the right to lie also.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM

338 posts, read 310,645 times
Quote:
All I saw was opinions.
Then please define what constitutes sound proof in your view.

And again, this wasn't against Fox News as a rightwing media outlet, but against all media outlets.

By the way, I don't see you asking for proof on my allegations on other networks. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies