Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROBERT1 View Post
"
Over the weekend I asked the 10 year old daughter of some neighbors what she wanted to do when she grew up. She said that she wanted to be President of The United States. Her liberal, Democrat parents beamed. I asked her what would she do first if elected. She said give all the homeless people food and houses. Her parents proud grins widened. I told her that was a fantastic goal, but that she didn't have to wait to start working on that. I said that she could come over to the house and cut my lawn, pull some weeds and vacuum the pool and that I would give her $100, and then we'd take her to the street corner where the homeless hung out and that she could give one of them her $100 to use towards food and to start saving for a house. She thought about this for a few seconds, then she looked me square in the eye and said, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come do the work himself and get the $100"?

Because the homeless guy is that way because he doesn't want to work and wants $100 to blow at a liquor store. Conservatives may be heartless enough to want the homeless guy to go to jail. At least that way he can't go to the liquor store any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
People are liberal because they've been brainwashed by the liberal media since birth and don't realize that they hold certain opinions precisely because the media has trained them to think that way. They are sheep and enjoy being told what to think and do, as opposed to developing critical thinking skills and thinking for themselves, which is hard work.

Liberal idealism is fine when you're young and ignorant. When you get older and gain more wisdom from real-life experiences, you tend to become moderate or conservative.
Are you ever so wrong with me. As I grow older I have seen what a disgusting, pitiful fraud the philosophy of modern day conservatism really is. And this comes after many years of watching FOX news, not the liberal media. I suggest you join with me and see the light.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmadison View Post
I never met a liberal that truly stood on his one two feet, unless those two feet were planted firmly on the back of some productive American.
So if you absolutely resent government welfare, then what are you doing to ban it?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you saying liberals don't support big government's social welfare programs?
Why shouldn't they? Or do you want government welfare repealed and then have poor, needy people knocking at your door all hours of the day begging for a handout. The woman holding a baby may be hard to turn down.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Which is exactly why you should not presume to comment without seeing the data. Read the book. Ask Brooks and Sowell for clarification, if need be.
Is this your way of telling me to shut up because you don't like it when I point out the FACT that statistics are inherently unreliable, and always incomplete?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Is this your way of telling me to shut up because you don't like it when I point out the FACT that statistics are inherently unreliable, and always incomplete?
No. That's my way of telling you that since you did not read the book or the data, you're pulling your comments out of thin air.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
No. That's my way of telling you that since you did not read the book or the data, you're pulling your comments out of thin air.
Actually, no. Comments on methodology problems in statistical analyses are not out of "thin air" at all. And the FACT remains, statistics are, indeed, like Cliff's Notes. Their value is limited, they aren't a substitute for the book.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
There are only 20% of Americans who call themselves liberal.

It was up to 25% before Obamadung took over.

Most smart people became embarrassed to call themselves liberal and are smarting up and moving on.

Not enough liberals out there to continue to destroy our nation.

Out of that 20% I would say most of them are on welfare, government assistance, wont work, in prison or are waiting for Obama to give them free gas, a free home and Obama money.

Being a liberal is not a cool thing since Obamadung took over.

Edited to add: Bet 5% of that 20% are illegal terrorist from Mexico who will be illegally voting so they can continue to steal, rape, kill and bankrupt our schools, hospitals and towns.
Wow, I'm liberal - but I'm not on welfare (which is govt. assistance BTW) I work FT (AND attend college - go me!) I'm not in prison nor have I ever been and I don't think the POTUS owes me anything.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:49 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, no. Comments on methodology problems in statistical analyses are not out of "thin air" at all.
They are in this case, in which you admittedly have no idea what you're talking about. You didn't read the book. You haven't seen the data.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:53 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,507 times
And to the OP, being liberal is not an easy thing. I'm constantly having to defend for what I believe in especially living in a predominantly conservative state... So, I think you've got it backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies