Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:56 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
...nearly a century of paying a segment of the society to depend on the government has bred this type of despiration.
I would add 'and breed' to that:

...nearly a century of paying a segment of the society to depend on the government and breed has bred this type of desperation.

Quote:
Pigeon hole the masses so there is no motivation to rise above their circumstance and this is the result. Was it worth the votes Democrats? Apparently so.
Now they're shocked, shocked I tell you that exponentially increasing numbers of people have little to no means of support other than the local, state, and federal governments.

This is just the beginning. It will get MUCH worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I would add 'and breed' to that:

...nearly a century of paying a segment of the society to depend on the government and breed has bred this type of desperation.

Now they're shocked, shocked I tell you that exponentially increasing numbers of people have little to no means of support other than the local, state, and federal governments.

This is just the beginning. It will get MUCH worse.
You're right about one thing. If this elitist feeling of entitlement continues things will get a lot worse...especially for those who don't know how to press their shirt or mow their lawns and continue to expect incomes 500 times that of a man working on the assembly line.

When I hear rich Republicans complain about labor unions I roll on the floor and laugh my arse off! They have enough in the bank so that they will never worry about food, housing, medical care, annual vacations, pensions, security etc. and the very thought of others getting a tenth of that tears them up.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You're right about one thing. If this elitist feeling of entitlement continues things will get a lot worse...especially for those who don't know how to press their shirt or mow their lawns and continue to expect incomes 500 times that of a man working on the assembly line.

When I hear rich Republicans complain about labor unions I roll on the floor and laugh my arse off! They have enough in the bank so that they will never worry about food, housing, medical care, annual vacations, pensions, security etc. and the very thought of others getting a tenth of that tears them up.
Oh yeah... those union members have it so bad.

Let's take a look, shall we? Let's see how Social Security stacks up to a public sector pension... Here's an article analyzing the retirement differences between a public sector employee and a private citizen. Take careful note of the total amounts contributed by each to their pension fund vs. Social Security and then note the payouts (ISP = Illinois State Police employee; SS = Social Security):
  • Age at Retirement
    • ISP Employee: 50
    • Employee in SS System: 62
  • Pension at retirement
    • ISP: $100,000
    • SS: $22,000
  • Total Employee Contribution
    • ISP: $200,000
    • SS: $150,000
  • Lifetime Payout
    • ISP: $5 million
    • SS: $630,000
Five-Million-Dollar Pensions Enjoyed by Illinois State Cops– Part 2 | National Taxpayers United of Illinois

$5 million dollar return on a $200,000 investment.

Golly Melvin, it looks like those union pensioners are the 'rich,' not the private sector working stiffs that have to pay for those union goodies.

Here's more for you:
In the U.S., Crisis in the Statehouses - TIME

Sweet public worker pensions costing retirement-strapped taxpayers more and more

All-too-golden years: Paterson must veto insane boosts in already rich pensions

Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Drug testing for Section 8 housing tenants. That crowd would thin out in a matter of minutes. I'm confident.
In a heartbeat ..

Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Every welfare queen in town will be in line. They accept a low pay job on purpose to qualify and then allow their "boyfriend" who earns much more to move in.
Selling drugs is their main source of income....

Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post

You are blinded by partisanship if think the "rich" are Republicans. Soros, Gates, Buffet, Rockefeller, Winfrey...all Progressive minded Democrats.

What does the average union executive make in comparison to the average union worker? What does IBT's Jimmy Hoffa Jr. make in salary and benefits compared to the average firefighter or assembly line worker? Yep, I'd say that outrage is partisan and selective indeed.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-12-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,403 times
This is helping people feel resentment towards blacks . How can you not separate people by race when you never see white people do this ?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Being selfish has nothing to do with it. I very well doubt, they could get FULL RENT, especially in this economy. The only reason they are doing it - is to have a GUARANTEED rent income from the government.

You don't eat the cost to maintain a rental property - you write it off, as a deduction on your taxes, thus reducing your stated income. Having the government subsidize your income is just that.

I would actually call the landlords unselfish and private enterprise - if they did it on their own The landlord is no different than the tenant. They are both getting something for free from tax payer dollars. Just calling it what it is
Your * cost * is the massive repair costs you will have after they destroy your property.

Of course FULL paying renters can destroy your property as well but if the FPR pays you a deposit and the Section 8 tenant pays you none then guess who is more likely to keep your place nice ?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM

I wonder if they would have stood in line for 2 days for a 3 # block of Gov'ment Cheese ?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,980,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
This is helping people feel resentment towards blacks . How can you not separate people by race when you never see white people do this ?
Come on Jaymie.

Welfare: A White Secret - TIME

61% out of %100 in 1991 were White.

48% in 1996.

Poverty in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please don't have any resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies