Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times

Advertisements

Why do I need to be 3 months behind in my mortgage. I'll take a 0 interest loan, put it into my principle and pay off both saving me probably around a hundred thousand or more in interest payments.

Again, government going for the lowest common denominator. Do it for all or do it for none.

Ohh yeah, support the flat tax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you just say that there will be another extension of unemployment payments to people who won't take the jobs that are available because of the government check? It sure sounded like that.
No sir. I never said that at all.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Please explain (do you mean 1930 btw?) In fact there are cases of the Supreme Court telling FDR during the Depression he actually 'over stepped' his bounds of General Welfare clause, but other times they supported him.

1873, well that one was Europes fault, and the reactions to the crisis (or lack of) is one reason many economists say it was the "longest downturn in the US ever." Yeah, longer then the Great Depression and it cost President Grant his career because the people thought "he had no policies to help the country out." Also the rise of "protectionism" is cited as one of the main causes of the international crisis (hear that tarrff supporters?) which lead to massive debt/deflation crisis.

Oh, and things congress did to try and fix the issue (took awhile due to vetos): inflation and rail road infrastructure. Many experts say if they started fighting deflation early on and didn't get stuck in vetoes, it would have not have lasted as long as it did.
No, I meant the depression of 1920.

Depression of 1920

1873 was caused by the inevitable deflation following Lincoln's reckless expansion of the money supply to "teach them southern boys a lesson."

Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I have lived in hardship, don't assume to know me.
The argument I made doesn't require me to know you. I do know someone who lived through the great depression. Does her opinion on the issue count?

Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
the next wave of foreclosures will be the interest arms that reset this year and next. in its prime, 20 percent of mortgages were arms.

many borrowers will see payments going from 1200 to 2000 plus a month.

this country is dead ass broke.

and you cannot recover from something like this, regardless of whos president.

you have to let it sink and burn. that'll mean a 30 percent unemployment rate, riots in the streets and chaos, but you cant keep propping it up.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
No, I meant the depression of 1920.

Depression of 1920

1873 was caused by the inevitable deflation following Lincoln's reckless expansion of the money supply to "teach them southern boys a lesson."
Was it a recession or a depression? How did you arrive at the definition? The article you wrote it clearly ill-written (or ill-conceived) with lack of consistency on usage of the terms.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Was it a recession or a depression? How did you arrive at the definition? The article you wrote it clearly ill-written (or ill-conceived) with lack of consistency on usage of the terms.
you got to much education for your IQ

Old 08-12-2010, 12:12 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I've been thinking about this and wonder if it would be better to concentrate NOT on keeping people in their homes but getting people out of them. What I mean is, cut the deals or forgive some of the loans for those wanting to sell and get out from under the housing burden. I think that even with some mortgage forgiveness many people will STILL not be able to carry on long term because if they don't have a job they don't have a job...period. I'm not sure it's a good idea to forgive anything but at least this way people can out from under their housing debt and be free to relocate, plus others aren't going to feel so completely used by having their neighbor get to keep the same kind of house, and for less money, that they have and on which they have been faithfully their mortgage on. There should be no reward for those who get their loans forgiven except to no longer be trapped or owe money on something with no value.

Last edited by Ceece; 08-12-2010 at 12:33 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
you got to much education for your IQ
Coming from you, I will take it. I'm no match.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Correction: WE the taxpayers are going to pay their mortgages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies