Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If a single woman has enough income to spend the time required to raise a child I have no objection. I do not see how this is "destructive to society" unless you mean it is destructive to a male dominated marriage where the woman has to raise two childern ie. her baby and her husband.
If you ask children, they almost always express a desire for two parents. And, if they had the proper vocabulary, they would tell you to take your political correctness and stuff it where the sun doesn't shine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Bill O'Reilly's latest target is ... Jennifer Aniston.

The talk show host called comments from Aniston on single motherhood "destructive to society," according to PopEater.

Bill O'Reilly attacks ... Jennifer Aniston?!
and he is right, her views are totally anti family and selfish. I don't always agree with him, but this time he is right on...

Nita

Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and he is right, her views are totally anti family and selfish. I don't always agree with him, but this time he is right on...

Nita
I don't think her views are selfish; I think her view is that of a woman who wants children and is financially able to take care of a child but doesn't have a husband. I mean sure she could have went the baby daddy route like some other proud single mother celebs but either way I don't think she's saying what's best for her is best for anyone else.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Are you saying my child isn't being raised properly b/c mom and dad don't live in the same house? I find that very offensive. My child is more well behaved than those who don't come from "broken families." He's also extremely smart - got to start Kindergarten a year and a half early. So, how is he suffering??
Quote:
From experience (from when I was little) and observing (friends and family) I think that if mom stays at home all day the kids respect her less. How sad is that? I couldn't tolerate my son disrespecting me. I would go postal.
Quote:
This is my situation - my ex and I have joint custody. One week on, one week off. We both pay for doctor visits, school/daycare, clothes, food, etc. We are both active parents and very stable at that. I'm lucky that I have such a good ex-husband.
your third post answered questions i was going to ask you. let me say this, i am proud of you that you started out doing things right, and i am proud of the childs father for remaining involved in the childs life. your child is getting the benefit of BOTH parents raising the child, despite the fact that you are not living together. things happen, and sometimes divorce is the easy road out of a relationship. both of my parents had to work when i was growing up, so my brother and i became latch key kids. we learned to fend for ourselves, but both parents were in the family teaching us right from wrong, and all the things parents are supposed to teach their kids.

Quote:
Seriously? Maybe I've been a cynic since age 7, and always knew that TV and movies were in fact not reality.

Also, it would be different if she were portraying a teenager - but she isn't. So what's so wrong with it, again if she has the means and will to do so?
this is where the problem lies though, you recognize that movies and TV shows are not real life, but too many kids want to emulate their heros from TV and movies, and when shows like murphy brown, and others, and the actors glorify single parent families, then teenagers pick up on this. yes there are many children that come from single parents, and broken families that turn out well, and there are children that come from two parent families that turn into criminals, but these are not the norm. my niece is growing up well adjusted in a two parent family. she is intelligent, confident, and respectful.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
What a shame .......always makes me wonder if there is a connection between Beauty and Stupidity. The girl obviously has issue's dealing with men.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
apparently a dead beat dad is a better option for women.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:12 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
No surprise. O'Reilly has the intellectual capacity of a mushroom.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
I'm TOTALLY sure O'reilly's attack on JA was fueled by real concern for single mothers and their offspring. *rolls eyes* What a dbag.

Unfortunately I'd have to say that single parenthood isn't ideal for *most* people. Too much stress which is then taken out on the kids, and not enough time to spend with the kids when you are out working two jobs to feed your kids. And dating, bring dates back home ... that is another can of worms. I'm not trying to be judgmental... I am just saying that it is hard, and I know many people who suffered through being raised by one parent - male or female, doesn't matter... just the presence of two people (even if it is a mother and a grandmother) is much more optimal than one.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hollywood has no moral responsibility to raise someone else's kids 'correctly'. They entertain. Period. It's the parents and families job to raise their own children and show them that movies aren't real.

They aren't 'glorifying' single motherhood, they're making a movie with an overdone plot and past their prime actors so they can make money.

Regardless....they still have a heavy influence on our culture. Many of them set the fads or trends that many people adopt! Look at Larry Fishburn's daughter using Kim Kardashian's sex tape as a way to get famous.

So when Anniston says something, it carries WEIGHT. She has fans. Like what she says, how she dresses, how she wears her hair.....

So when she gives the big "Hooorah" to having a baby on purpose without a husband, that means something. There is a "glorification" to this just because she said it.

This from a woman who seems so lonely and frustrated that she given up the thought of having a man. If Brad wanted her back, she'd do a Road Runner back to his arms.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't think her views are selfish; I think her view is that of a woman who wants children and is financially able to take care of a child but doesn't have a husband. I mean sure she could have went the baby daddy route like some other proud single mother celebs but either way I don't think she's saying what's best for her is best for anyone else.
and I think your views are selfish. Ask kids or better yet, ask adults who were raised in single households; almost, without exception, they will say they would have been happier with 2 parents.

This is not saying things do not happen. Divorce does occur, so does death. Not all single moms or single dads are cheating thier kids, but basically, a women who chooses to have a clild without a daddy, is being selfish.. Nothing will change my mind on this.

I will add, I have had experience with this, from divorce in our family, to adopted kids who are grown and foster kids who are grown. We also know a women who did choose the route she is referring to, it hasn't been the best situation for her child, who is now a teen. And in many of these cases the parents or parent were financually stable. That is not the issue here.

Again, I am not saying, if a woman finds herself pregnanat and unmarried she should have an abortion or automatically give her baby up for adoption (though that is a good idea) I am saying to deliberately decide, "I want to be a mommy" but I don't need a "daddy" for baby is not a good way to go.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies