Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yeah, it's much better to have some redneck couple slap their kid around, while forcing the child to believe in religious fairy tales..
The comment it totally nuts!!! There are good and bad people and good and bad parents everywhere, but most mom and dads do not fit your stupid discription. Not even most "rednecks" Have you heard of the book "mommy dearest?" try that one on for size..don't think being a redneck, religious or poor means unfit parenthood. And where do you get the dumb idea that people who do not beleive in organized religion and do not live in the country, who are single make better parents...??

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
your third post answered questions i was going to ask you. let me say this, i am proud of you that you started out doing things right, and i am proud of the childs father for remaining involved in the childs life. your child is getting the benefit of BOTH parents raising the child, despite the fact that you are not living together. things happen, and sometimes divorce is the easy road out of a relationship. both of my parents had to work when i was growing up, so my brother and i became latch key kids. we learned to fend for ourselves, but both parents were in the family teaching us right from wrong, and all the things parents are supposed to teach their kids.

this is where the problem lies though, you recognize that movies and TV shows are not real life, but too many kids want to emulate their heros from TV and movies, and when shows like murphy brown, and others, and the actors glorify single parent families, then teenagers pick up on this. yes there are many children that come from single parents, and broken families that turn out well, and there are children that come from two parent families that turn into criminals, but these are not the norm. my niece is growing up well adjusted in a two parent family. she is intelligent, confident, and respectful.
I never said all kids from broken families end up doctors, lawyers, etc. But, what I am saying is that it's really hard for me to hear stereotype "kids from broken families" as being criminals, dead beats, lazy, losers, etc. My parents split when I was young, and they both remarried soon thereafter. So, it's always been my mom and s-dad and my dad and s-mom. That's normal to me, and it works for me. I think I turned out alright - Yes, I did get pregnant at a young age. However, I didn't do it on purpose, we did use protection and I was on BC. I looked at it as "**** happens" and while I am pro-choice, I don't think I could ever personally have an abortion. So, I had my son, was forced (not lying) into a marriage I didn't want and now that I'm divorced and a single mom I really couldn't be happier.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you can't legislate morality.. but you can talk sh*t about people and what they do.
Bingo! If more people reacted that way, his ratings would plummet and his show would get cancelled. (Then he could talk sh*t about anyone he wanted to from the privacy of his own living room--and with the exact same effect).

Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Also, there are kids that come from two parent homes who turn out to be said sterotypes I mentioned before. I know A LOT of rich kids who do nothing but get high on the weekends and live with their parents - in their late 20's early 30's. How pathetic.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Are you saying my child isn't being raised properly b/c mom and dad don't live in the same house? I find that very offensive. My child is more well behaved than those who don't come from "broken families." He's also extremely smart - got to start Kindergarten a year and a half early. So, how is he suffering??
where in the heck to you live where a child, regardless of how bright they are can start school at 3? I can pretty much assure you, if he is that much younger than other kids he and you will regret that someday. In fact I don't know of any school district that will allow this..Not even a decent private school would start a kid in kindergarten at 3 years old.

Nita

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
From experience (from when I was little) and observing (friends and family) I think that if mom stays at home all day the kids respect her less. How sad is that? I couldn't tolerate my son disrespecting me. I would go postal.
talk about another off the wall statement!!! No, moms who stay home are not respected less, anymore than moms who work can not be good moms.

By the way, no one is saying when divorce becomes the only option a single parent can not do a decent job, have a kid or kids that turn out to be great adults and good citizens or they are all teen age punks. No one is cliaming every 2 parent home is better than some single parent homes. The issue here is, choosing to satisfy your desire to have a kid without having a dad in the kids life. This is where the selfishness comes in.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-13-2010 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,431,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The comment it totally nuts!!! There are good and bad people and good and bad parents everywhere, but most mom and dads do not fit your stupid discription. Not even most "rednecks" Have you heard of the book "mommy dearest?" try that one on for size..don't think being a redneck, religious or poor means unfit parenthood. And where do you get the dumb idea that people who do not beleive in organized religion and do not live in the country, who are single make better parents...??

Nita
No more nuts than believing you have to have " two parents, one mother, one father, to raise children properly"...My mother died when I was in my teens, my siblings were even younger, but my father brought us all up just fine. It all depends upon the individual or individuals.

This BS about needing two heterosexual parents to raise good children, is just that...BS.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
where in the heck to you live where a child, regardless of how bright they are can start school at 3? I can pretty much assure you, if he is that much younger than other kids he and you will regret that someday. In fact I don't know of any school district that will allow this..Not even a decent private school would start a kid in kindergarten at 3 years old.

Nita
He just turned 4 - He started pre-k at 3. Here, in Oklahoma, Kindergarten doesn't start until age 5. He does go to a private school as well. It's actually a really good one. He can write his name and numbers 1-15. I'm impressed.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 AM

And, BTW Ms. Nita, I highly doubt he will regret being in school early. He loves to learn, and what kind of a mother would I be to hold him back? He then would probably develop ADD b/c he's bored in the younger classes.

Anything else?!?

Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Bill O'Reilly's latest target is ... Jennifer Aniston.

The talk show host called comments from Aniston on single motherhood "destructive to society," according to PopEater.

Bill O'Reilly attacks ... Jennifer Aniston?!
This is what I truly adore about the conservative movmement in this country. They want keep the government out of THEIR wallets but they want the government in YOUR bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies