Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:42 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,862,525 times

Advertisements

This is a very sad story. I used to work for CPS and the goal of the program is to keep kids in the home. Some people just aren't capable of being parents.

I was belittled yesterday on CD as being a conservative that is uncharitable and pushing my morality on those less fortunate. I was told that liberals are better people because when they give there are no strings attatched. This is a perfect example of giving without expecting anything. When people keep making the same irresponsible decisions how can you expect different results. How long do you keep throwing money at a problem before you realize it isn't taking care of a problem.

I know from experience that there are people out there that need a leg up. There has to be a safety net for those that want to improve their lives. But how do you measure this and how long should it take? Couldn't all people recieving services be required to contribute a service for the benefits they receive ie. reporting to an auditorum twice a week to provide daycare while others go to school or look for work, then you have 3 days of daycare for free while you do the same? Sitting at home waiting for a check, IMO, perpetuates a feeling of worthlessness.

I was also told that if you are a liberal you will never become a conservative. Not true. I put myself through school with 3 kids to get a Behavioral Science degree. I did that because I wanted to help people and knowing it wouldn't make me rich. But after working in the field for many years, I realised that I was wrong. Not everyone in the world wants to succeed. Some are perfectly happy having kids and wanting other people to take care of them. It's not fair to the others that I helped that are still struggling to gain their independence.

There has to be guidelines in place and when people don't meet them someone has to make the tough decision that funds aren't going to change this situation. Sometimes parents should not be the ones raising their children.

Off my soap box now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 02:43 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,526,886 times
[quote=AeroGuyDC;15447782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post

To be honest, everything about this story bothers me, and none of it has anything to do with race. But when you dissect every piece of it, it exemplifies precisely what's happening in the Black community. Every single piece of it: Wedlock; Prison; Poverty; It's all there wrapped up in one single family. It's sad.

Don't know about this black community you continue to speak about, but this is the problem with those that refuse to grasp personal responsibility. To blame an entire race for the ignorance of others is just stupid. That would be like blaming the so called "white" community for every white pedophile, serial killer, child killers, abusers and rapist? Are you concerned with how these people make the "white" community look? Are you responsible for these people?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:45 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,862,525 times
Quote:
Can you provide any articles or data that indicate that this is ONLY a minority issue? Are you stating with a FACT that NOT one WHITE person falls within this picture? Its comments like these that negate any point they you were attempting to make.

You are correct, sir. These problems cross the race barrier and are also prevalent in disadvantaged white populations. And for anyone that doesn't already know...there are poor white people too. Some are even conservative.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:49 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Quote:

Don't know about this black community you continue to speak about, but this is the problem with those that refuse to grasp personal responsibility. To blame an entire race for the ignorance of others is just stupid. That would be like blaming the so called "white" community for every white pedophile, serial killer, child killers, abusers and rapist? Are you concerned with how these people make the "white" community look? Are you responsible for these people?
There's a certain loyalty that pervades the Black race. It happens all the time, whether it be small gestures are large gatherings. Charlie Rangel's tirade the other day was applauded by members of the Congressional Black Caucus. Most everyone else got away from the guy as fast as they could. You may not see it, but its everywhere. So to suggest that references to the Black community are without merit, I have to soundly disagree.

I agree with you on the personal responsibility part.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There's a certain loyalty that pervades the Black race. It happens all the time, whether it be small gestures are large gatherings. Charlie Rangel's tirade the other day was applauded by members of the Congressional Black Caucus. Most everyone else got away from the guy as fast as they could. You may not see it, but its everywhere. So to suggest that references to the Black community are without merit, I have to soundly disagree.

There is a certain loyalty that pervades EVERY race, are you kidding me? you have the Hispanic and Asian Congressional caucus, but their quiet about their solidarity. But as usual your bias focus on Blacks which triggers your speaking for EVERY BLACK.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,978,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Very sad story yet this is the picture of the minorities in America.
Not all mind you..but a good many are walking down this path.
What no sympathy for all those meth-addicted child neglecting po'white folks back at the trailer park? Whether it is true or not, minorities can at least blame racism, what's the excuse for po'white folks?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Who blamed an entire race ?

My post had "Not all mind you..but a good many are walking down this path"
The majority of poor are minorities yet they are minorities in America (as of today).
Is it such a presumption to assume here ? I think not.

But if you are getting all PC about it then assume "poor girls living off government handouts for over a decade" in regards to this article.
Yet the data is the data.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
Quote:
There is a certain loyalty that pervades EVERY race, are you kidding me? you have the Hispanic and Asian Congressional caucus, but their quiet about their solidarity. But as usual your bias focus on Blacks which triggers your speaking for EVERY BLACK.
When Black leaders stop speaking for the Black population, and start speaking towards a certain segment of that population, then i'll stop generalizing. But at the moment, we have the CBC and others constantly moaning and groaning about the lack of government attention to: Guess who? The Black Community. Do they call out poverty stricken Black people? No, they generalize. I'll stop when they stop.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
When Black leaders stop speaking for the Black population, and start speaking towards a certain segment of that population, then i'll stop generalizing. But at the moment, we have the CBC and others constantly moaning and groaning about the lack of government attention to: Guess who? The Black Community. Do they call out poverty stricken Black people? No, they generalize. I'll stop when they stop.

Aero..Let me make this perfectly clear. There is NOT ONE man or woman on this planet that I've appointed my Leader. I cast votes for President, Governor, Mayor, Board of Education and counsel members, sometime I even cast these votes with my hand over my eyes or holding my nose. I will agree that these folks need to speak to and for those who they are representing and not who falls within their ethnic groups.

But its only folks like YOU that i see moaning, groaning and pointing the finger at Blacks for all of the ills and deficits concerning this country while negating and excusing all others who contributed the same if not more to these very ills.
And by the way, HappyTexan and I were talking about minorities, as usual you chose to get on your BLACK RANT.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:27 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,331,902 times
Quote:

It's not about race. It's about the fact that one ignorant woman is costing the tax payers 314K per year. That fact is sickening. The entitlement gravy train needs to be derailed. One area that I have not seen cut much in these tough times is entitlements for the so called "poor". The taxpayers suffer through increased taxes (property and sales taxes in my case) while those on the gravy train don't skip a beat. To them it's "what recession"? You constantly hear that we need to help the poor or we're not doing enough to help the poor. How poor would this piece of feces be if she had 0 kids and a job? Condoms aren't that expensive and even free at some community outreach centers. I bet you can get allot of jimmies for 314K. Even sadder still is the liberal mentality that fuels it all. The link in the OP is from a conservative talk show host. He was discussing this story on the air yesterday and of course a libbie phoned in and called him a racist for discussing this story. He asked her to cite one example of him discussing race or being racist and of course she couldn't. He never once mentioned race but the libbie caller ASSUMED the story was about a black woman and she just happened to be correct. The caller went on to explain how we have failed this woman and it's our fault that she has a criminal record and five kids with three different men who are all in prison. This is where the liberals sicken me the most. In their world there's no such thing as personal accountability. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies