Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 06:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Or just take the yappers' view on what happened???

Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Who cares, let her say it. I still don't understand the obsession with the N-word. It's a word just like any other word.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But why isn't the black community as a whole openly and harshly criticizing this black sub culture for using the N-word as they do with white public figures like Dr. Laura saying the word?
Many of us (Black people) do vehemently object to the use of the N word by ANYONE.

However, this fact is conveniently ignored by those non-Blacks who like to use the "But Blacks say the N word, so why can't Whites" argument.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:36 PM

767 posts, read 489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
She is not doing therapy on her radio show---she said as miuch. She gives advice. You don't like her advice then you don't need to listen. I don't listen to her since I use the computer and I don't listen to the radio. She does have a web site.

www.drlaura.com
I never said she was doing therapy. She is not qualified to do therapy. Someone else called her a shrink, I just pointed out that she is nowhere being a shrink. I do agree that anyone who goes to a physiologist for marital advice simply because they have a Phd is an idiot who probably deserves to be chastised. Dr. Laura should have told the woman, "Listen, if you can't tell the difference between a psychologist and physiologist, than you probably think you can see Russia from Alaska" The woman is a charlatan who is only able to have an advice radio show because of people's ignorance.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:04 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Well , How would you describe generations of African Americans that have put that word into common use?

If it is so offensive why do Blacks in Music(Rap),Comedy and Entertainment get a pass ? You don't see other Ethnic groups utilize Ethnic slurs against themselves at the same frequency as the Black Community? And YOU don't see any hypocrisy there?Get REAL.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Did anyone even bother to read the transcript of what was said?
Guess doing that would just be too much work for some of these people

Dr. Laura did nothing wrong. If you've listened to her regularly you know she is in no way racist.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Many of us (Black people) do vehemently object to the use of the N word by ANYONE.

However, this fact is conveniently ignored by those non-Blacks who like to use the "But Blacks say the N word, so why can't Whites" argument.
WRONG FAIL !!!! It is conveniently ignored on a GRAND scale by your "Own Community". I've heard that word used by Blacks in the workplace a far greater time then anyone else and that is really something when you consider that they were generally in the minority(lesser numbers).

While I am opposed to it's usage also ,African Americans in THEIR use of those words help REMOVE any stigma associated with it, especially among the youth.
How often do you hear Anglos descibing themselves as Crackers or other Minorities using Racial Slurs against themselves? I thought so !!!

The rest of America will only take this double standard seriously when African Americans start calling out their own on this, till then nothing changes.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
She is a terrible human being.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
WRONG FAIL !!!! It is conveniently ignored on a GRAND scale by your "Own Community". I've heard that word used by Blacks in the workplace a far greater time then anyone else and that is really something when you consider that they were generally in the minority(lesser numbers).

While I am opposed to it's usage also ,African Americans in THEIR use of those words help REMOVE any stigma associated with it, especially among the youth.
How often do you hear Anglos descibing themselves as Crackers or other Minorities using Racial Slurs against themselves? I thought so !!!

The rest of America will only take this double standard seriously when African Americans start calling out their own on this, till then nothing changes.
Italian Americans and others, at times, refer to themselves using slurs. However, that doesn't make it acceptable for outsiders to use the same terms. My wife's family is of Sicilian ancestry but I wouldn't use the term **** around them even though my father-in-law does jokingly.

Second of all, where do you work? I've worked for may companies most in the financial services industry and I've never heard that term in a professional environment. Granted, rap artists and comedians have been using the n-word for a long time but it isn't the same thing.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
She is a terrible human being.
Now that she's officially a "Quitter" and she says that she's going to regain her 1st Amendment rights, it sounds to me like she's going to go on tour just like Palin is. She'll be paraded out to all of the right wing racists and homophobes, making big bucks all the way to the bank. America really sucks sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies