Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 AM

531 posts, read 338,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There is no one meaning. The one used by my family's rabbi is that the world is broken and that people need to come together to fix it. I think that's quite fitting in the context of the MCC.
There actually is a meaning do more research.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
yes you could blame germans.
Ignorant and bigotry. nice.

Thanks for using that broad brush, seeing as there are many Germans here (including me) who have denounced the acts of the Nazi's.

I'm also Japanese, and I denounce the acts that Japan did on Pearl Harbor.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:22 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So if the KKK wanted to fund the building of a church next to the 16th Street Baptist church, for KKK members to attend, you would equally defend their right to do so without question? Or, would that be insensitive and disrespectful?
The bombing of the 16th St. Baptist Church WAS committed by the KKK as an organization or group. So obviously, blacks would not support such action.

9-11 on the other hand, WAS NOT committed by the Islam Religion! Individuals who happened to be of the Islamic faith were the perpertrators of 9-11. Therefore, blaming the entire religion of Islam and attempting to deny their right, as AMERICANS, to build a mosque near ground zero is baseless, mean-spirited and not the American way.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:23 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
So my rabbi is wrong? Other Jewish weddings I have been to recently (I am graduate of Brandeis University so I have had the opportunity to go to Jewish weddings of all traditions) have indicated that it represented the breaking of the hymen, the destruction of the Temple, and that the world is now irrevocably changed for the couple just as the glass can never be put back together.

But I guess they are all wrong based on your superior and universal opinion, right?

Not sure what your point is in this thread.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Ignorant and bigotry. nice.

Thanks for using that broad brush, seeing as there are many Germans here (including me) who have denounced the acts of the Nazi's.

I'm also Japanese, and I denounce the acts that Japan did on Pearl Harbor.
You cant blame japanese americans or german americans. You cant blame anybody younger than 80.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:

Yes there are many meanings:
Breaking Glass Jewish Wedding Tradition Meanings

All of which are to symbolize the sanctity and fragile nature of marriage.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So my rabbi is wrong? Other Jewish weddings I have been to recently (I am graduate of Brandeis University so I have had the opportunity to go to Jewish weddings of all traditions) have indicated that it represented the breaking of the hymen, the destruction of the Temple, and that the world is now irrevocably changed for the couple just as the glass can never be put back together.

But I guess they are all wrong based on your superior and universal opinion, right?

Not sure what your point is in this thread.
No that is the meaning. The destruction of the 2nd temple. Where a mosque was built. That wasn't said originally.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, Roy. I'll bite though it won't do any good.

1. It can be built somewhere else, but you cannot simply say to a religious group "You can't build here" based on that group's religious beliefs.
2. At least five blocks away? See answer # 1

You see, there's this thing called the Bill of Rights, (and the 14th amendment) and it applies to more than just rich white Christians who agree with Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh. Sorry, but it cuts both ways.

It says nothing about zoning laws. Or any other recent church/state controversy. The free exercise clause can easily be assumed to mean that any religion may build a house of worship wherever they wish so long as it complies with local ordinances and zoning laws. And I'm sure there's some supreme court case concerning it somewhere, but I don't feel like looking right now.

Again, I'm sorry that the Bill of rights applies to everyone but it does. Oh well.
I guess you have some problems with connecting many things. I agree with Beck and Limbaugh, most of the time, and I am white but I don't qualify as rich since our economy has eaten up my savings and I am on SS now and my wife will be there in another year. Nope we sure aren't rich even by the standards of the small town we live in.

One question I must ask you about your Constitutional knowledge and that would be what in hell does the 14th Amendment have to do with this discussion? Did you just throw it in because all those rich, Christian, right leaners want to stop the anchor baby rule? Since you lefties like so much to brag about western Europe on so many things how about you bragging on the one that allows those babies in their nation the way we do.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
No that is the meaning. The destruction of the 2nd temple. Where a mosque was built. That wasn't said originally.
But that's not the only meaning. And once again, the relevance to this thread is?

There are churches in Spain that have been built on top of or within repurposed mosques and synagogues. There are synagogues on top of mosques. Many of the synagogues in my old neighborhood of the East End of London are now Bangladeshi curry shops or the homes of Muslim families. There are many churches built on top of places of pagan importance. Such is history and the use of land that has always been scarce.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:29 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Obama defends ground zero mosque plans - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

Our moron-in-chief must be going for the Muslim vote this November.

"Al Qaida's cause is not Islam — it is a gross distortion of Islam."

WRONG AGAIN PROFESSOR EINSTEIN!

Killing infadels is exactly what the Qar'an teaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies