Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 11:34 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Agreed. This is an issue for New-Yorkers to deal with not some guy from Chicago. But Obama done stuff like this before. Case in point.

Obama invites race row policeman for a beer | World news | The Guardian

This whole beer sit down think annoyed me at the time because basically it was an issue for my home state (MA. ) to deal with. Basically he was an outsider getting into our family business where and when he really didn't need to.

But to be fair to the president. What he said Friday night was correct. The Islamic community does have the right to build an Islamic center in the area near ground Zero.

But with that said. I found when I heard the speech Friday it took a tone that seemed to completely support the project and also seemed to paint the people that found the Islamic community's choice of location distasteful as ignorant and bigoted. Which I think for the majority of dissenters is not the case. As I said. I think a lot of people find the project Distasteful and rather insensitive to the wider community of New York. I think that's why Obama is back tracking big time today and saying that he is not commenting on if the building of the Islamic center is a good idea or not.

Anyways. Really at the end of the day all comments and rants from people that live outside of the New York Metropolitan area (maybe some parts of Northern Jersey as well) Really don't carry much weight. (Including mine comments.) Look so far the building of the center has been OKed and the only thing that will put a stop to it will be if pressure is put on by the wider NYC community not to build it. So....Again it's about what New Yorkers think and do about the situation that is key.
Agree with much of your post, but not the bolded part. Have you not read through these threads? The ignorance and bigotry is absolutely staggering.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Poll Results

A Landmarks panel vote clears the way for a mosque near Ground Zero. Is it an appropriate location for the mosque?
  • Yes, there is no reason why it should not be there. 68%
  • No, it does not belong so near the site of the 9/11 attacks. 24%
  • I'm not sure. 7%
I really, really, REALLY hope they do not cave on this.
I'm glad most Americans are showing our openness of other cultures.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:19 PM

You know, this belief that Muslims all want to kill us and/or impose religious law in America has got me thinking.

I often have to deal with a Muslim woman in our office of emergency management. I also interact a lot of with two Muslims in our engineering department, both of whom survived the 9/11 attacks.

I'm going to start asking them, loudly, in front of other people at work, if they plan to kill us or impose Sharia law in New York.

I might be able to maneuver a couple of a months off with pay on medical leave for mental health reasons. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, this belief that Muslims all want to kill us and/or impose religious law in America has got me thinking.

I often have to deal with a Muslim woman in our office of emergency management. I also interact a lot of with two Muslims in our engineering department, both of whom survived the 9/11 attacks.

I'm going to start asking them, loudly, in front of other people at work, if they plan to kill us or impose Sharia law in New York.

I might be able to maneuver a couple of a months off with pay on medical leave for mental health reasons. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Now thats just distasteful....

Old 08-15-2010, 12:25 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,509,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
With great respect for you and your post, I must disagree.
The issue at hand is related to the first amendment of the BOR and whether American Citizens can be strongarmed into denying them the right to practice that religion on their private property, in accordance with state, local and federal law. I for one am glad our president spoke out on the matter. I consider it every citizen's right and responsibility to take a stand on the issue as it cuts to the very core and foundation of our country.
Actually this situation is a matter of taste and of being sensitive to the community you decide to worship in. There is no body being stronged armed because the the building of the Islamic center is approved and will probably be build no matter what is said. No law has or is being violated at all.

Going back to the bill of rights. It is the right of BOTH side to be able to express how one feels about on this issue (freedom of expression.) And a lot of people are expressing and/or asking to the Islamic community of NYC to not build the Islamic center out of "respect" for the dead and for those that still have to live with the scars of those attacks. But in the end the Islamic community of NYC does not need to listen to those views. As you said they have the right to worship wherever they want on private property. I would hope though they would at least listen and considered the feeling of those who are dissenters most of which I found are not against the right of the Islamic community to build the Islamic center but find it distasteful on where it is to be located.

As for the if this is local politics or not. Well as I said there is not laws being violated what so ever in this case. Neither state of federal. Yes anyone could make a comment on this issue and come from anywhere in the world. But really it is only the people that are in speaking distance that count on an issue like this. In my opinion there is no need for the president or anyone outside of the area to get involved. Unfortunately we all just did.

Quote:
Agree with much of your post, but not the bolded part. Have you not read through these threads? The ignorance and bigotry is absolutely staggering.
Actually most of post on the P & C forum I ignore. Posters could come from anywhere around the country and are usually the lowest common denominator. Where I coming from is from in my posts is from speaking with people in the NYC and Northern Jersey area where I currently live. Granted you'll have to take my word that I do actually live where I say I do.

Last edited by baystater; 08-15-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 12:25 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Poll Results

A Landmarks panel vote clears the way for a mosque near Ground Zero. Is it an appropriate location for the mosque?
  • Yes, there is no reason why it should not be there. 68%
  • No, it does not belong so near the site of the 9/11 attacks. 24%
  • I'm not sure. 7%
I really, really, REALLY hope they do not cave on this.
I don't think they should cave either. But part a small part of me thinks they should be the bigger people and relocate for the sake of peace. But will peace come?

What is the magical distance...how many blocks away from the WTC do they need to be to appease the bigots?

If they decide to relocate the project, we will see if this is all about respecting the families of 9-11 victims, or if this is about the hatred of Muslims.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Now thats just distasteful....
Yes, Nexis, that is the point. Not only distasteful, but crazy, too, doncha think?

Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I don't think they should cave either. But part a small part of me thinks they should be the bigger people and relocate for the sake of peace. But will peace come?

What is the magical distance...how many blocks away from the WTC do they need to be to appease the bigots?

If they decide to relocate the project, we will see if this is all about respecting the families of 9-11 victims, or if this is about the hatred of Muslims.
Well, if they move it, it might be perceived as disregarding the families of 9-11 victims who do support it, so you can't win.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty dang sure it's all about the hatred of Muslims.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:35 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Obama defends ground zero mosque plans - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

Our moron-in-chief must be going for the Muslim vote this November.
Supporting freedom of religion and respecting the right of the local government to make their own decisions? Yeah, he's really dumb, isn't he.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Yes, Nexis, that is the point. Not only distasteful, but crazy, too, doncha think?
Its like me calling out my friends by there skin color and not there names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies