Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 01:13 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times

Advertisements

Here is the legislation - enacted in 2009:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/096-0044.pdf

I'd be surprised if this type of legislation was unique to Illinois or blue states but have no time in investigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
As a medical professional practicing in Illinois, my state representative, Jim Durkin (R), sent me a letter. I'll quote the important parts:

This is how democrats work. Instead of balancing budgets, spending within their means, and enacting necessary budget cuts, they simply vote to raid, rape, and pillage any source of $$ they can get their hands on without any plans to repay these funds. Which begs me to question, who in their right mind would vote for ANY democrat for POTUS coming out of Illinois??
Sounds exactly like the republican game plan for solving the financial crisis. Cut spending. You, as a medical professional have listed the cuts in funding for the areas where your "ox is being gored". I'm sure there are other budget cuts in other areas that don't concern you that have been implimented also. It will be worth watching to see if the republican mantra of "Cut government spending" will work and/or how much republican screaming goes on as various pet programs are cut to the bone.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-14-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 01:16 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
As a medical professional practicing in Illinois, my state representative, Jim Durkin (R), sent me a letter. I'll quote the important parts:

This is how democrats work. Instead of balancing budgets, spending within their means, and enacting necessary budget cuts, they simply vote to raid, rape, and pillage any source of $$ they can get their hands on without any plans to repay these funds. Which begs me to question, who in their right mind would vote for ANY democrat for POTUS coming out of Illinois??
I think you are confused. These "funds" are simply allocated money from the government(government spending). There is no need to repay anything. Seems like you are irritated when government cuts spending that will somehow benefit your profession, but not so otherwise!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:16 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Quote:
You might if you were on the organ donor list waiting for a donor and the state decided to defund through extraction the means in which it increases enrollment in the Organ Donor Registry at the DMV and elsewhere.
I know that you are trying to be helpful by clarifying this information for them, but as much as I hate to say it, you are wasting your time.

Folks have gotten to the point were they are all suffering from terminal tunnel vision. If it does not effect them directly AND immediately they ignore it as being unimportant and use their disinterest as fuel to feel better by bashing those who point out the future problem.

It is a sad state of affairs that certain politicians are using for all it is worth, because they know that eventually the wings are going to fall of of the plane and they want as big of a golden parachute as they can get.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:17 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
You might if you were on the organ donor list waiting for a donor and the state decided to defund through extraction the means in which it increases enrollment in the Organ Donor Registry at the DMV and elsewhere.
All gov't programs can be argued to be essential. Cutbacks are happening in all states. Where would you cut money? At the end of the day whether it is a budget cutback or a transfer of funds the end result is the same.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

1. It came from a Republican congressman in your state. Whats he going to say, "ataboy"?

2. Republicans have LONG spoken of making cut backs in many categories, including healthcare costs. How is this any different?

3. As another poster pointed out, this was sponsored by Republicans also, not just the Democrats.

I don't get it, they are trying to balance the budget, and you're complaining about it? Don't like the way they are doing it, vote for a different party.

I'm not a part of Illinois, and I have no say in your states politics, but I will say that trying to lump the President, who has no say in Illinois politics anymore is simple party politics that you're playing. You should feel ashamed of yourself.

I should also add that Lincoln was from Illinois, I guess we should now say he is a bad President because anyone from Illinois is just bad. I guess you're in that lump too.

Blows my mind the logical flaws in your posts. Blows my mind.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,257 times
That's just it though. Know what happened here? They took money out of other programs, shut schools down, laid teachers off, and have not paid their bills BUT yet the Gov. gave his entire staff a RAISE!

If the state is in dire need (which it is) why are RAISES being handed out? That is the height of irresponsible leadership.

My gripe isn't that it's a Blue state (because every state I've ever lived in is a Blue state). My gripe is that the leadership here is corrupt. Hopefully people will get wise to it and vote the crooks out of office. Enough is enough already.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
That's just it though. Know what happened here? They took money out of other programs, shut schools down, laid teachers off, and have not paid their bills BUT yet the Gov. gave his entire staff a RAISE!

If the state is in dire need (which it is) why are RAISES being handed out? That is the height of irresponsible leadership.

My gripe isn't that it's a Blue state (because every state I've ever lived in is a Blue state). My gripe is that the leadership here is corrupt. Hopefully people will get wise to it and vote the crooks out of office. Enough is enough already.
Governors office isn't the Senate, and isn't influenced by the President.

My problem here, is that the OP tried to call the President bad, because the people of Illinois couldn't pick the right representation that he agrees with.

If I were in Illinois, I probably wouldn't vote for anyone who cut programs, then gave themselves raises. But I'm not in Illinois. And I sure as hell wouldn't bad mouth the President for something he has no control over. And I wouldn't lump all Democrats into it either, especially when Republicans co-sponsored the bill.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
You are all confused. These aren't budget cuts as the money was already appropriated for the said purposes. The democrats took it upon themselves to extract money from these funds to pay their bills and other lavish spending programs. I don't have a problem with budget cuts, why would I? However, if you (the legislators) are going to pass a budget and appropriate funds for certain initiatives, it is disingenuous to then take those funds and use them elsewhere. Some of these funds had been previously protected by state law from this exact scenario, however, the democrats have changed that so that it's turning into one big slushfund of spending for them to dole out as they see fit. What's the point of a budget if you don't stick to it? And better yet, why NOT enact sweeping budget CUTS or conversely, why appropriate money to these various funds if they are really so unnecessary that they can be robbed of funding without negative consequences??? I don't have a problem with budget cuts, I welcome them.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:28 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post

Just for the sake of clarity, who would you vote in to take their place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies