Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times

Advertisements

Congress has richly deserved its record-low approval rating:

Dems may use food stamp money to pay for Michelle Obama's nutrition initiative, see Dems may use food stamp money to pay for Michelle Obama's nutrition initiative - TheHill.com

Does any one imagine that this is anything more than a "let's pretend" way to "pay" for new government spending?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 10:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Gosh, what a pickle the democrats are in, of their own making.

The electorate is fed up with their spending, but they need to spend in order to give some of their constituencies a reason to come out in Nov.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
But this makes sense in a way. The problem with the food stamp program is that there is no control. People who have no ability to understand nutrition are allowed to fill up their shopping carts with pure junk foods. Mothers are allowed to deny their children the food to feed the boyfriend of that night, people can throw parties and feed party guests with food stamps.

It's time to scrap that program - and the millions of dollars they would use to try to educate the food stamp class on proper nutrition which as usual would be futile. At least by having the schools provide nutritious means and just to the children, there is some guarantee that the government money will actually go to feed children and something more than cakes and cookies and soft drinks.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But this makes sense in a way. The problem with the food stamp program is that there is no control.
I think a lot of this goes back to the poor home environment. No one knows how to cook, my Mother can take the cheapest meat you'll find and turn it into a decent meal but it takes some time and effort.

As far as food stamps go firstly all purchases need to be done through debit card. From there you only allow the purchase of basics and quotas for each type of food. For example you get X amount for fresh meat/chicken/fish products. You also set a price per pound limit so they aren't buying Fillet Mignon.

X amount for dairy, X amount for breads and cereal.. etc. Pre-packaged products would have to be qualified for these purchases beforehand.

Eliminate all purchases of drinks except fruit juices, vegetable juices, milk, and whatever else there might be that provides nutrition.

Maybe even offer incentives for the purchase of basic products like flour.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

Dems may use food stamp money to pay for Michelle Obama's nutrition initiative, see Dems may use food stamp money to pay for Michelle Obama's nutrition initiative - TheHill.com

Does any one imagine that this is anything more than a "let's pretend" way to "pay" for new government spending?

What do you think?
Honestly I thought this was the reason for the decision to redistribute a portion of food stamp credits from low income people back to the schools. The long and short of it is that one is "robbing Peter" to pay "Peter's child".

If one didn't think this country could become anymore nannified this is an example to prove it can. The key to getting children to eat more healthy is nutrition education. It must start at home. Instead the nanny state just takes that responsibility away from parents rather than helping parents with the knowledge and skills they need to better provide for their own children.

Nanny state= government attempting to replacing both the parent and God

Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Wait...I thought food stamps were bad because every time you go to the grocery store you only see people buying carts full of junk food and sugary drinks? LOL i'm cracking up over here reading the comments on the link. When this is the other way the comments are filled with "welfare queens" and "single mother/deadbeat dad" jabs now it's the "starving children, disabled and seniors" gotta love the change in attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think a lot of this goes back to the poor home environment. No one knows how to cook, my Mother can take the cheapest meat you'll find and turn it into a decent meal but it takes some time and effort.

As far as food stamps go firstly all purchases need to be done through debit card. From there you only allow the purchase of basics and quotas for each type of food. For example you get X amount for fresh meat/chicken/fish products. You also set a price per pound limit so they aren't buying Fillet Mignon.

X amount for dairy, X amount for breads and cereal.. etc. Pre-packaged products would have to be qualified for these purchases beforehand.

Eliminate all purchases of drinks except fruit juices, vegetable juices, milk, and whatever else there might be that provides nutrition.

Maybe even offer incentives for the purchase of basic products like flour.
I've been saying that forever. You would think it would be less expensive to just revamp the way the food stamp program works. I personally think it should be run like the WIC program. You get a list of the things you can buy; if you try to buy something that's not on the list then it won't ring up. How difficult can that be?

Oh and from the article...I thought that they were just reducing food stamps back to the previous levels, which they raised during the stimulus...that's not the same as a cut is it?
Quote:
A House leadership aide noted that the food stamp decrease approved in the state aid bill will not take effect right away and will leave the program at the same funding level it was at before the stimulus law was signed.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Wait...I thought food stamps were bad because every time you go to the grocery store you only see people buying carts full of junk food and sugary drinks? LOL i'm cracking up over here reading the comments on the link. When this is the other way the comments are filled with "welfare queens" and "single mother/deadbeat dad" jabs now it's the "starving children, disabled and seniors" gotta love the change in attitude.

I've been saying that forever. You would think it would be less expensive to just revamp the way the food stamp program works. I personally think it should be run like the WIC program. You get a list of the things you can buy; if you try to buy something that's not on the list then it won't ring up. How difficult can that be?

Oh and from the article...I thought that they were just reducing food stamps back to the previous levels, which they raised during the stimulus...that's not the same as a cut is it?
Well you do. The food stamp program isn't feeding the children because the carts are being heaped up with pure junk.

That's why Michelle Obama might have the right idea - just have the schools feed the welfare kids and eliminate the food stamp program. We certainly don't need all these duplicate and triplicate programs. Streamline the whole process. Food stamps should easily feed the children but the food obviously isn't making it to the children if we really have all this hunger.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 AM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
It's nice to finally see the govt making real life decisions. If I need a new stove, I might have to pay for that from the "fun money" account.

Expensive car repair? Might have to limit my restaraunt expenditures.

I can't just print money or demand a raise in revenue from my employer, why should our politicians?

Last edited by doc1; 08-15-2010 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

What do you think?
Senate Unanimously Passes Sweeping Child Nutrition Bill « The Washington Independent

The bill was bipartisan and deficit-neutral, and came with the support of First Lady Michelle Obama. On Monday, she wrote an opinion piece in The Washington Post urging the Senate to fit the provision into its intensely busy legislative calendar. Today, Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) came to an agreement with Republican leadership, and moved the provision by unanimous consent, waiving a voice vote.

Um, The Republicans voted for it too. And it doesn't cut anything, right away. What it does do, is it doesn't add anything for inflation in a few years to the food stamp fund. That could be fixed later, if you read the post you actually posted.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
why is everything lately "that can be fixed later, just pass the bill now"

why does congress continue to lie about it not adding to the debt

its like the teacher jobs bill, they say its paid for...a lie, because what they are basing that on is a PROJECTED FUTURE cut, that will fail to be cut 4 years from now

congress (both parties) are like whimpie from popie...I gladly pay you 4 years from now , for a hamberger to day

both parties borrow and spend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies