Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 AM

472 posts, read 854,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So then why are you replying to it...you weren't even the person I was talking to...oh are you just one of those posters who have to say something just because they like to see their user-name on the screen? Well go right ahead...far be it from me to deny you of your little slice of happiness by expecting you to make sense.
Yes, you caught me.

Is this natalayjones forum or city-data? Because a poster doesn't agree with you (lifelongMOgirl), you feel the need to slam them under a bus? Nice.

Quote:
No one is trying to sway your opinions. I really couldn't care less about your opinions. I made a comment on the article and said I hope other companies don't follow suit with bans like this. Why you feel that was some personal call to action for you to write a book report I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
[quote=natalayjones;15481138]No one is trying to sway your opinions. I really couldn't care less about your opinions. I made a comment on the article and said I hope other companies don't follow suit with bans like this. Why you feel that was some personal call to action for you to write a book report I don't know.

And neither the article nor I made any mention of repeat offenders. The person is in the article was convicted of welfare fraud that was reduced to a misdemeanor and later dismissed. I didn't see any indication that she has drug problems, a history of addictions or violence or didn't have a safe driving record.

I think looking at each case individually makes more sense then a flat out ban but that's just my opinion.[/quote]

Most employers do look at each applicant's qualifications. Welfare fraud isn't a red flag for employers? If a person is willing to both steal and lie from the government (a.k.a. the taxpayer) they will most likely choose to do the same to the same to the employer.

The whole plea bargain system, in my opinion, is a scam on the law abiding public: lawyers benefit, criminals benefit, but then I repeat myself.
If you do the crime, do the time. Step up and take accountability for your actions. This is the first requirement of being a person of character in society. No exceptions and no plea-down deals. I have to wonder how much our crime rates would fall if this were the policy of our judicial system.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Yes, you caught me.

Is this natalayjones forum or city-data? Because a poster doesn't agree with you (lifelongMOgirl), you feel the need to slam them under a bus? Nice.
I didn't ask her to agree with me. I made a comment and she responded with "you're not going to sway my opinion" i was never trying to. No need for her to get all snippy with me because we have differing views. Why don't you say something about the article instead of trying to play referee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Most employers do look at each applicant's qualifications.
Well that may be the case for most employers but it is not the case for the company in the link and so I repeat myself in saying I hope many other companies don't go this route.

Quote:
If you do the crime, do the time. Step up and take accountability for your actions.
OK and then after you do the time, step up and take accountability for your actions and are unable to find a job....what happens?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:27 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
BS lawsuit. I don't see any unlawful discrimination here. In fact, I would probably have the same requirements if I were the owner of the bus company myself.

THIS, on the other hand, is real discrimination:

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Study: Black man and white felon – same chances for hire « - CNN.com Blogs

Quote:
The results of these studies were startling. Among those with no criminal record, white applicants were more than twice as likely to receive a callback relative to equally qualified black applicants. Even more troubling, whites with a felony conviction fared just as well, if not better, than a black applicant with a clean background.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
The racial undertone of this lawsuit is nauseating. An opportunistic lawyer scavaging off the lowest form of criminal in the system - a felon - for the purpose of what? To tell us that Black men make up the highest population of felons, therefore, there must be discrimination in this company's hiring practices?

All I see here is another way that Black people are embarrassing themselves with ridiculous cries of discrimination.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The racial undertone of this lawsuit is nauseating. An opportunistic lawyer scavaging off the lowest form of criminal in the system - a felon - for the purpose of what? To tell us that Black men make up the highest population of felons, therefore, there must be discrimination in this company's hiring practices?

All I see here is another way that Black people are embarrassing themselves with ridiculous cries of discrimination.
Not all felons are the worst people on the planet. Many were convicted of non violent offenses, and just didn't have the money for a good lawyer.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Why? Would you rather have a bus driver who had a history of drinking like a fish?

Anyway, I'm talking about pot..not meth or tar.

Millions of Americans use it regularly.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you here. There's a tremendous difference, IMHO, between a felony for MJ possession and a felony for rape, murder, armed robbery, etc.
On the other hand, forcing a company to hire someone with felony for embezzlement to a position where they would be handling money doesn't exactly sound like a bright idea.
Related thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...g-tactics.html

Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I don't give a hoot if this somehow discriminates against blacks and latinos, it SHOULD!!! If they commit more felonies then screw 'em. In this woman case though the key involving her felony is this:
Quote:
which was later reduced to a misdemeanor and eventually dismissed in 2007
If it was dismissed was she actually convicted of a felony?

Given the chance to hire a convicted felon or someone with a clean history you HAVE to give the upper hand to the one with the clean history. To do anything else is massively idiotic.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:37 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Default Life sentence for drunk driving

Nine-Time Drunken Driver Bobby Joe Stovall Sentenced to Life in Prison in Texas - ABC News

This week, a judge ordered Stovall to spend the rest of his life behind bars for the crime. He's had eight other previous DWI convictions in various Texas counties, as well as convictions for burglary, credit card abuse, and posession of a controlled substance.

"When you get to that ninth DWI conviction, leniency is not going to protect your community. You've got to punish," said John Bradley, the District Attorney for Williamson County.

Is this the "non-violent" profile of someone who should be hired by the bus company?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Nine-Time Drunken Driver Bobby Joe Stovall Sentenced to Life in Prison in Texas - ABC News

This week, a judge ordered Stovall to spend the rest of his life behind bars for the crime. He's had eight other previous DWI convictions in various Texas counties, as well as convictions for burglary, credit card abuse, and posession of a controlled substance.

"When you get to that ninth DWI conviction, leniency is not going to protect your community. You've got to punish," said John Bradley, the District Attorney for Williamson County.

Is this the "non-violent" profile of someone who should be hired by the bus company?
only if bobby joe is a minority..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies