Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,359,747 times

Advertisements

About damn time!

The political class needs to start putting the working peoples of this country first, not that of the corporate elite and banksters, who contribute little to nothing for this society...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 12:06 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm way liberal. I also want tighter border security. I also want to end birthright for the children of illegal immigrants, which gives a loophole for illegal immigrants to not get kicked out of our country. Oh, and I also loathe outsourcing and want to see jobs return to the US... the only thing I'm not happy about with this legislation is that they didn't make the cost higher so it was more prohibitive. If you want to do business in America, hire Americans.
Hey 415, I'm mostly an old style conservative but would support everything here you said.

To me, the conservative term tossed around today is synonymous with backing executives and large corporations and their global agendas - and that's not me. I believe in taking care of America first and I despise wall street and what it has done and is trying to do to America and the middle class.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't know about that. you'd have to ask the question "how many of these HIB visas would be held by unionized members?" are they in unionized industries?. They always describe these jobs as being highly skilled workers. We're not talking auto workers, culinary workers,longshoremen, etc. I think that this bill is actually to protect American workers for a change. I'm glad to see someone doing something about it. I'm just concerned that these companies will just pass the cost increase on to the consumer ultimately.
But that's the beauty of this bill, they can't! This is not Wal-Mart we are talking about here. There are thousands of IT companies with consulting solutions. If a particular Indian consulting/outsourcing company decides to pass the buck onto the hiring company, the hiring company will just look elsewhere for consulting solutions. There will be enough companies willing to absorb those costs to maintain contracts with companies. Please realize, these companies make a lot of money. Even when sponsoring H1B Visa employees, they only pay them 20-30 dollars an hour while they bill 120 dollars an hour for their services. So trust me, they can afford to absorb these costs. This is why no company would be foolish enough to pass these costs onto the consumer, it's worse losing business than making less money.

And I agree that they need to make these costs higher to make this policy more prohibitive. As its written now, it's similar to the NBA's fining policy, what's a 10K fine to a guy who makes millions a year.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times
Ok let me say first off that I live in a town that is predominantly Indian and have many, many very good Indian friends as do my kids. My issue is that these visas were never meant to replace US workers which is exactly what they have done. I feel that especially now we need to do whatever we have to in order to get Americans back to work. I think all visas should be stopped until we have 5% unemployment or lower.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I agree with this legislation except I think the visa fee should be at least ten times if not a hundred times higher. These engineers could work in their own country and improve the living standard there instead of dragging down ours. I also think similar tariffs should be applied to manufactured goods to offset the differences in labor, pollution control and government subsidies. Then we would have a level playing field and better made American products would have a chance in the market.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Legislation passed in the U.S. Senate last week would significantly increase fees for skilled-worker visas, a move that would deal a financial blow to Indian technology-outsourcing companies that send thousands of employees to the U.S. each year.The measure would require all companies with U.S. staff that have more than half their U.S.-based employees on H1-B or L-1 visas to pay thousands of dollars in special new fees for each worker. Big companies such as Microsoft and Intel would not be affected because their foreign workers make up less than 50% of their workforce. The new charges would increase visa fees by roughly $2,000 per visa application. Currently, most visa applicants also face additional fees; in most cases, the H1-B visa fees amount to about $2,320.The president of Indian technology industry trade group Nasscom said the increase would actually amount to $4,500 more per worker for new visas and $4,000 more for renewals. Indian companies have pledged to fight the increase, but they may be waging a losing battle. The increase was tacked on to the $600 million border-security spending bill and the visa fees will help pay for the bill.
Clip:
As the U.S. backlash over outsourcing has intensified in recent years, some critics have zeroed in on the skilled-worker visa programs, arguing that they give foreign companies a beachhead to facilitate deals with U.S. companies that ultimately transfer American jobs abroad. Sen. Charles Schumer, the New York Democrat who co-sponsored the legislation raising visa fees with Claire McCaskill (D.-Missouri), has been a critic of outsourcing.
Sen. Schumer praised the new visa rules, which enable the bill to be funded without dipping into stimulus money. He said that forcing Indian companies to hire more American workers "is a good thing," and that the new fees would apply only to a "handful" of foreign companies.
New U.S. Visa Fees Would Hit Indian Firms - WSJ.com
Excellent post tiger. There is another bill out there to reform our visa programs, so they don't render American skilled workers extinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
"Meanwhile, a global tech junta secretly carries out its "Dirty War" -- 20 years now -- against American scientific and technical professionals, continually inventing domestic laws to disappear us.

Mischaracterized by beltway insiders as "guest worker" programs, this misnomer camouflages the ugly truth: these visas are for companies -- not workers.

Corporate visa laws, written by lobbyists, have digitally re-mastered Jim Crow.

We successfully lobbied Senator Durbin (D-IL) to introduce H-1b and L-1 Reform legislation (S.887). It will stop the legal discrimination by requiring companies to seek local talent and force them to post their job openings on DOL's web site. S.887 promises to end the displacement of Americans and the outsourcing of American jobs."

I don't know how the free trade nuts are going rationalize against this one.

But they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies