Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
The argument isn't whether it helps the economy. Of course it does. You have the contruction jobs as you mentioned. You have service jobs at Target Field. You have jersey sales etc.

The real argument is: will all this come to 300 million over the 30 year life of stadiums? Is it JUSTIFIED. I don't know.

I know fundamentally, I have a big problem with owners getting money unless it helps Hennepin County OVERALL.
Even if it does help Hennepin long term, there is still the question of whether it is right to take taxpayer money to help a private business. A baseball field is not in the same league of public interest as, say, a hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 PM

100 posts, read 253,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Even if it does help Hennepin long term, there is still the question of whether it is right to take taxpayer money to help a private business. A baseball field is not in the same league of public interest as, say, a hospital.
I agree. If these owners, many of which are probably conservatives (and are involved in the markets), want capitalism and hate regulation, then they shouldn't be begging for bailouts (banks, GM, sports owners).

Old 08-15-2010, 11:45 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
You know, I'm as much of a football fan as anyone.

BUT NO. If that means my favorite team moves to a different city, so be it.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Absolutely NOT!!!

Let some "baseball player," let me see here, some guy who takes a piece of wood, hits a small ball, and runs around some "bases." Yeah, ok. He makes, what? 10+ million dollars a year?

But, the man/woman who is the teacher of your children, to give them a better life, et al, makes 40 thousand a year? What is WRONG with this picture?

Let the baseball player, whatever that is, pay for his own damn stadium and let the rest of the money go to teachers, firefighters, police officers, et al; you know, the people who are doing the actual work.

Kills me. YOU, and I mean YOU, people will pay ten bucks for a beer, ten bucks for a hot dog, and $250 bucks for a seat to a "baseball game." But you *****, complain, and moan, when someone wants to raise your taxes by 2 cents, to pay teachers more. Yeah, you people have your thoughts straight...

Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Or a library that provides a service to all, not just sports fans.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
If it's a good investment to partner with Ziggy, then what's the problem? Put our tax money to work for the public good for once!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IMHO
ALL governments should stay out of the sports/entertainment business. Sports teams are privately owned and (mis)managed private enterprises. If these teams need a place to play they can pay for it through ticket sales and TV advertising. Having cash strapped cities bidding for sports teams is not an appropriate use of municipal revenue. The municipalities should be taxing the teams not giving them money.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:04 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
The use of public funds to build a stadium is strickly a matter of what the people of a locale want to do with their vote in most cases. Bear in mind if you don't wish to use tax dollars to support sports stadiums and arenas you shouldn't be surprised when a sports team packs up and leave i.e. the Seattle Super Sonics or the Baltimore Colts.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I could care less if a sports team was here or not. I just do not want to pay for them.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The use of public funds to build a stadium is strickly a matter of what the people of a locale want to do with their vote in most cases. Bear in mind if you don't wish to use tax dollars to support sports stadiums and arenas you shouldn't be surprised when a sports team packs up and leave i.e. the Seattle Super Sonics or the Baltimore Colts.
In Pittsburgh, they voted against them more than once.
Were forced to pay for them any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies