Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about homosexuals marrying?
I approve of it 130 66.33%
I don't approve of it 63 32.14%
It depends 2 1.02%
I don't know 1 0.51%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times

Advertisements

I don't really see it as a civil right, but I think it should be legal based on a libertarian point of view. It's a matter of freedom and liberty.

I think everything should be legal in the U.S. unless there's proof that it harms others (examples: murder, theft, etc). Opponents of same-sex marriage have done a poor job of demonstrating how it would harm other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:40 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
What is really incredible is how many people are deceived and brainwashed by the bible and their churches . . .
Oh, deceived by the Bible. Now that is a new one! lol.

And being a homosexual is a choice. You are deceived if you think otherwise.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Oh what a tangled web we weave, Booya.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:05 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Actually it's a fairly old one! It's been going on for about 2000 years.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:

And your credentials to make this statement are? Please refrain from quoting any bible references, as I tend to tire quickly of reading those as "proof" of anything, lol.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's true. I like girls, but I just "choose" to be a homosexual because I secretly enjoy societal disapproval.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
And your credentials to make this statement are? Please refrain from quoting any bible references, as I tend to tire quickly of reading those as "proof" of anything, lol.
Frankly, I think there is really no sense in discussing something with you that you are incapable, or unwilling to understand.
If you really care to understand it would take an open mind, and willing on your part to do the work. It is beyond the scope of this message board. And no offense, but I don't think you are serious in your inquiry.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Frankly, I think there is really no sense in discussing something with you that you are incapable, or unwilling to understand.
If you really care to understand it would take an open mind, and willing on your part to do the work. It is beyond the scope of this message board. And no offense, but I don't think you are serious in your inquiry.
Is this meant to be a joke?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:

We are serious. You make an unfounded statement that gays chose to be that way.

Despite research that say otherwise.

Care to back up your claim or are you just another gaybasher?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:09 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
OK non-biblically speaking. This is from studies by the CERC USA and Canada.

Levels of Promiscuity

Prior to the AIDS epidemic, a 1978 study found that 75 percent of white, gay males claimed to have had more than 100 lifetime male sex partners: 15 percent claimed 100-249 sex partners; 17 percent claimed 250-499; 15 percent claimed 500- 999; and 28 percent claimed more than 1,000 lifetime male sex partners.

-- Now before you say "well it's nothing more than a straight womanizer might have" or "look at prostitutes". The average straight male has 7 relationships in their lives.

I'm sure most of you have only had a few partners though, right?

Physical Health
Common sexual practices among gay men lead to numerous STDs and physical injuries, some of which are virtually unknown in the heterosexual population. Lesbians are also at higher risk for STDs. In addition to diseases that may be transmitted during lesbian sex, a study at an Australian STD clinic found that lesbians were three to four times more likely than heterosexual women to have sex with men who were high-risk for HIV.

-- The male body wasn't designed to receive another male. It goes far beyond just that act for most homosexual men though.

Mental Health
It is well established that there are high rates of psychiatric illnesses, including depression, drug abuse, and suicide attempts, among gays and lesbians. This is true even in the Netherlands, where gay, lesbian and bisexual (GLB) relationships are far more socially acceptable than in the U.S. Depression and drug abuse are strongly associated with risky sexual practices that lead to serious medical problems.

-- There is a reason for having heavy feelings of guilt because it goes againt your nature. No matter how it's worded, what laws are made to conform, or marriage being instituted the homosexual lifestyle will always have higher than normal suicide rates and/or mental depression.

Life Span
The only epidemiological study to date on the life span of gay men concluded that gay and bisexual men lose up to 20 years of life expectancy.

-- I know many young gays, a few middle aged gays and I did know a couple who were older (60s). Funny how there aren't too many ripe old gay guys running around. For something proposed as being natural I'd suspect the human body didn't get that memo.

Monogamy
Monogamy, meaning long-term sexual fidelity, is rare in GLB relationships, particularly among gay men. One study reported that 66 percent of gay couples reported sex outside the relationship within the first year, and nearly 90 percent if the relationship lasted five years.

-- One reason gays are fighting so hard for marriage rights is partly due the high cost of insurance and healthcare. If marriage were made legal it would offload billions onto the healthcare providers by covering not one but two. This will become quite a problem because the system will be exploited. You may be married legally but you won't be confined to a monogamous relationship. (many of you might, the majority will not)

Now for the religious aspects.

I find it quite interesting that nearly every gay person that I know are athiests, including my own daughter who is a professed bisexual and raging athiest. I love her dearly but I don't agree with her, nor she me sadly. Many homosexuals claim to be new age or humanists and the majority do not believe in:

Christianity, Jesus issued a sweeping condemnation of all sexual relationships outside of the male/female model established in Gen 1:27, which he specifically cited

Islam, Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." Qur'an 7:80-81

Jewish, Leviticus 18:22 is translated: "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

or Hinduism, "twice-born" Hindus are prohibited from homosexual acts (maithunam pumsi), such as in Manusmrti 11:174, which mentions both men and women.

Buddhism is the religion of choice for many homosexuals:
Buddha did not leave any specific teachings on either homosexual orientation or homosexual behavior. He strongly encouraged his followers to be independent, to "be a lamp onto yourself." That is, to examine and test the truth of religious teachings before accepting them. Core beliefs of Buddha say you must renounce pleasure and not harm any living being.

Many homosexual gravitate towards Buddhism because of these views. But this is really to mold the teachings of Buddha to fit their lifestyle rather than changing their lifestyle to fit the teachings. Your lives revolve around your sexual appetites. Buddhism is most concerned with whether an action is helpful, based on good intentions, and free from harm. If the practice of homosexuality is harmful than it doesn't fit the teachings.

So from a religious perspective one will find it very difficult to be gay as well as religious. So you'll morph it from religious to spiritual and viola, you can be gay and spiritual without believing in a traditional God or salvation. If you as a human are your own god then anything you do is acceptable.

Don't spout off at me because all I did was put a whole bunch of substantiated data in front of your face. Make of it what you will but there are some very harsh risks for doing something so unatural to your natural body. Right to marry aside, it's a dangerous and unhealthy activity both for your mind and for your body.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-25-2010 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies