U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:29 PM

24,874 posts, read 22,773,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Ah! That is what was so amazing (back then, $2,000,000 was considered a pretty good piece of change).

Even those who disliked President Reagan's politics thought him a pretty honest person. Hence, the shock that he accepted such a high fee to travel to Japan and make a speech.

Now, was the fee in fact a 'pay back' for raising, tremendously, the number of Japanese cars that came into this country during his term? There is a subject for opinion.

My opinion is: perhaps, from the Japanese perspective. But, was there a 'prior arrangement?' (i.e., word passed to Reagan: lower the tariffs on cars, raise the number of cars that can be imported and we will pay you well after you leave office).

I believe 'no'. I think that if President Reagan had been approached like that, he would have spurred the offer. He was, I think, acting on his sincerely held beliefs about open markets, which just happened to benefit the Japanese and steel industry (yes, the high tariff on steel was also lowered, leading to a dumping of Japanese steel on the US market; no link, just ask any steelworker from Pittsburgh etc). Hence to show their gratitude they offered him this very high speaking fee for a very short speech (one twenty minute speech, plus a couple of 'here I am' appearances). Recall, in Japan such 'fees' are normal business practice (actually, graft and bribery is normal).

I recall that many people thought that President Reagan was naive in thinking that he was not being paid, retroactively, for his actions that so benefited the Japanese auto and steel industry. However, I think he truly thought he was earning his money by his travel and speaking. Then again, I always look for the best in people and hate to think the worst.

Cynical Nation: Ex-presidents in the news, then and now
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:23 AM

150 posts, read 97,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I guess all the posts lately about Palin and Limbaugh and now old dead presidents is just the repugs way of saying "We haven't got any real Repug leaders or good political candidates to talk about"
The Republican party was hijacked by the religous right neocons who advocate nation building, the Patriot Act, censorship, pandering to wall st., incredible deficits etc... There is nothing conservative about the Republican party anymore.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So says the man who tripled the debt, doubled the number of federal offices, and made nationalized healthcare without paying for it.

Yeah, real conservative there.

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even Reagan Wasn't a Reagan Republican - Newsweek

Do you right wing guys all go to the same websites or something. Someone posted the exact same thing yesterday, and I shot that full of holes then too.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 AM

9,163 posts, read 9,845,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Do you right wing guys all go to the same websites or something. Someone posted the exact same thing yesterday, and I shot that full of holes then too.
yeah, daily kos and huff post, msnbc.......................

You didn't shoot anything full of holes, you displayed your ignorance of history and how government actually works.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,442,061 times
Quote:
But wait!

Ronnie turned 'That far distant capital' into his private corporate fantasy island!

At least he was the compensated spokesperson for the group that did.

And now some 20 or so years on, see what it's done.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
yeah, daily kos and huff post, msnbc.......................

You didn't shoot anything full of holes, you displayed your ignorance of history and how government actually works.
The only show I watch on MSNBC is headed by a former Republican congressman who was called to conservative by many while in the house.

The others, I don't.

You can make statements with no facts, see, I posted facts.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 AM

6,911 posts, read 7,633,510 times
If Reagan ran his platform back in the day like the Republicans are now, he'd be just another Hollywood actor who was once a governor.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 AM

4,676 posts, read 5,459,031 times
Ronald was correct. Liberals didn't speak for him. He bunged up all on his own.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM

13,055 posts, read 12,209,299 times
"The problem with liberals is not that they are ignorant, it is that they know so much that isn't so"

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 AM

66,251 posts, read 47,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
"The problem with liberals is not that they are ignorant, it is that they know so much that isn't so"

Truer words were never spoken.
Of course they were, when Reagan, as the head of the government stated "Government is the problem"

Absolutely correct during his tenure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies