Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM

183 posts, read 168,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Well they did want to have social security go private just before the crash. That would have gone over really well.
It would be more effecient than a government run program. They'll never do it becausenof what is taken off the top, which is why it is broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny napalm View Post
Its obvious that the new policies haven't worked, at least not for the last 10+ years. Most likely many many years before that. What has the other side proposed, or came up with that will solve some of these problems? Where are all the great thinkers? Courageous thinkers?
You do realize that the majority speaker of the house or senate control what proposals get brought up....which means you're not going to hear about anything the republicans have proposed. If you're really interested in an answer and I'm not sure you really are....just do a search on the internet...you'll find tons of proposals.

I think it's about staying in control now, no matter how they have to do it...if the best bet is to not do anything so you can't get blamed for it and you can just keep blaming the other side....then that's what they'll do.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
You do realize that the majority speaker of the house or senate control what proposals get brought up....which means you're not going to hear about anything the republicans have proposed. If you're really interested in an answer and I'm not sure you really are....just do a search on the internet...you'll find tons of proposals.

I think it's about staying in control now, no matter how they have to do it...if the best bet is to not do anything so you can't get blamed for it and you can just keep blaming the other side....then that's what they'll do.
Why would you assume that I would not be interested? That is my typical party of choice. Just because I ask dosent mean I don't think they have.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
This is why I started this thread. Both sides are failing us.
Both sides are a tribe of thieves that, when in control, steal our money and give it to their friends. So we need to split control of government between them. They will spend more time fighting with each other, which means less time for stealing from us.

Let's get the House OR the Senate into Republican hands in November to split control.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Its obvious that the new policies haven't worked, at least not for the last 10+ years. Most likely many many years before that. What has the other side proposed, or came up with that will solve some of these problems? Where are all the great thinkers? Courageous thinkers?

The Republican plan to end government oversight has led to one of the greatest swindles ever perpetrated on the American people, the government bailout of Wall Street, who's reckless behavior and free for all spending was made good on a 700 billion dollar taxpayer bailout. The previous years of Republicans (many while Clinton was President) gutting regulatory oversight is what led to this crisis.

I can only be extremely thankful the American people were not fooled by George W. Bush going around the country in 2005 trying to convince voters to "privatize" Social Security. Had that of happened, it too would have been pilfered of its tax dollars.

The GOP has never had a plan to do anything other than make the wealthiest Americans more wealthy. Outside of that, it is every man, woman and child for themselves.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think the issue is not creating "solutions" but instead getting government out of the way which is a core Republican value.
^^
See above.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The Republican plan to end government oversight has led to one of the greatest swindles ever perpetrated on the American people, the government bailout of Wall Street, who's reckless behavior and free for all spending was made good on a 700 billion dollar taxpayer bailout. The previous years of Republicans (many while Clinton was President) gutting regulatory oversight is what led to this crisis.

I can only be extremely thankful the American people were not fooled by George W. Bush going around the country in 2005 trying to convince voters to "privatize" Social Security. Had that of happened, it too would have been pilfered of its tax dollars.

The GOP has never had a plan to do anything other than make the wealthiest Americans more wealthy. Outside of that, it is every man, woman and child for themselves.
The idea behind privatizing social security is to get it "out" of the governments hand, not control.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
The idea behind privatizing social security is to get it "out" of the governments hand, not control.
The idea of "privatizing" = insolvency = incompetence = corruption

Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
What new ideas or solutions have the Republicans proposed?
It's coming, soon, very soon.

Why should the GOP distract from the chaos and desperation of obama and the dems?

There is plenty of time for all the wonderful ads that will be coming out, plenty of time to lay out the GOP agenda.

Oh, this old canard of the Left's regarding ravaging and destroying SS - no one is buying it and the only ones talking about it are the dems and obama as they try and scare voters - I guess that's all they got?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The idea of "privatizing" = insolvency = incompetence = corruption
So Americans are unable to handle there own? Is the government run social security working better? Is it not F'd? How are they doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies